PDA

View Full Version : Adding Spells to Limited Spell List Casters

Diarmuid
2012-05-09, 10:35 AM
Are there magic items that add spells to your "known spells" list? I would imagine they would work for something like a Sorc or a Favored Soul, but would they also work for something like a War Mage or a Beguiler?

hydraa
2012-05-09, 10:49 AM
Similar effect
MIC -> Runestaff

Duke of URL
2012-05-09, 10:50 AM
I believe there was a Dragon Magazine issue that had "knowstones" that worked like this. I would think that it would work well for Sorcerers and Favored Souls, but not necessarily for limited full-list casters like Dread Necromancer or Warmage, who already know their entire spell list.

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-09, 03:22 PM
Domain icons from faiths of eberron for divine casters.

Larkas
2012-05-09, 03:51 PM
I believe there was a Dragon Magazine issue that had "knowstones" that worked like this. I would think that it would work well for Sorcerers and Favored Souls, but not necessarily for limited full-list casters like Dread Necromancer or Warmage, who already know their entire spell list.

Indeed, it wouldn't work for full-list casters. Quoting the magazine (#333, btw):

(...) Any spontaneous caster can use a knowstone, provided that the spell it includes is on his spell list and he can cast spells of its level. (...)

If it isn't on the full-list caster's spell list, he can't use the knowstone, if it is, he already knows how to cast the spell.

Myself, I use the spell research rules. If it is thematically appropriate, just research it and add it to the list. Of course, depending on the spell I might increase the cost. A lot. The cost of the knowstones is actually a good guideline for this: spell level squared x 1,000 gp (500 gp for 0-level spells), + 1/25 of the base price in XP.