PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Possible Gain of Improved Metamagic

Roguenewb
2012-05-09, 01:04 PM
Okay, optimizing people, simple question: If every trick in 3.5 D&D is on the table, when is the soonest I can get access to one of the class features that improves meta-magic costs by one (or more I guess) levels with a Sorcerer? I suspect it's 14 (sanctum spell-incantatrix?) Please let me know if there's a faster way. NO LIMIT ON THE CHEESE INVOLVED! Also, explaining the trick would be nice.

Thanks playgrounders!

Eldebryn
2012-05-09, 01:15 PM
Okay, optimizing people, simple question: If every trick in 3.5 D&D is on the table, when is the soonest I can get access to one of the class features that improves meta-magic costs by one (or more I guess) levels with a Sorcerer? I suspect it's 14 (sanctum spell-incantatrix?) Please let me know if there's a faster way. NO LIMIT ON THE CHEESE INVOLVED! Also, explaining the trick would be nice.

Thanks playgrounders!

Hmm...

Level 8 9. :smallcool:

Just take Metaphysical Spellshaper from *coughs* Book of Erotic Fantasy.
:smallredface:
It's a 3rd party book so... good luck with that. And no, the PrC doesn't really have any "weird" RP requirements.

EDIT: Corrected level to 9, since you want that to be with a sorcerer.

Roguenewb
2012-05-09, 01:16 PM
Ha. MSS is wrong for sooooooo many reasons. How about in official material?

Eldebryn
2012-05-09, 01:22 PM
Well, the OP specifically said

every trick in 3.5 D&D is on the table
and

NO LIMIT ON THE CHEESE INVOLVED!
so I rest my case.

DefKab
2012-05-09, 01:24 PM
Well. I believe Pun Pun can get anything he wants at level 1, so...

Roguenewb
2012-05-09, 01:28 PM
Pun-Pun *is* a strong choice.

Suddo
2012-05-09, 01:35 PM
What level can you start being that stupid PrC from Savage Species and eat an Incatrix's brain. You may not have that many spells but...

Also if you god Kobold you might get in 1 level earlier than what you posted. There's a whole Venerable Elder Dragon Trick someone else will inform you on.

Douglas
2012-05-09, 02:15 PM
The only official WotC sources of this that I am aware of are Incantatrix and Dweomerkeeper, and each of them gives it as the capstone and has a skill ranks prerequisite of 8. Getting it earlier than level 15 would require either bypassing the class somehow (Illithid Savant) or breaking the skill rank cap. I don't think Illithid Savant or any similar trick would become available in time to be worth it, so you're pretty much stuck with skill rank early entry tricks.

For skill ranks, there are very few ways to break the level cap. The Primary Contact feat from Cityscape can do it by 1, but only for a single level. Aside from that, I think gaining temporary hit dice is the only way to do it. Get a high level Bard to use Inspire Greatness, or polymorph into one of the 2 or 3 published monsters that have abilities that can boost their hit dice. These are all short term enough that you will almost certainly have to get a Psion to use Psychic Reformation on you in order to reassign your skills before your hit dice - and the cap - go back to normal.

Once that's all taken care of, you will also need a way to cast higher level spells than normal. Earth Spell, Sanctum Spell, etc.

All of this will have to be done with the resources of a below 5th level character, as that's when you'll need to satisfy the prerequisites of the class.

Overall, it would probably be easier to go for taking the actual feat instead of class features that duplicate it. Dragonwrought Kobold can, under one interpretation of Draconomicon rules, qualify for epic feats by being old instead of epic level. Combine that with a skill rank cap breakage of sufficient magnitude (I think at least one possibility does exist), and all you'd need to qualify is the four metamagic feats.

Snowbluff
2012-05-09, 02:25 PM
Hmm...

Level 8 9. :smallcool:

Just take Metaphysical Spellshaper from *coughs* Book of Erotic Fantasy.
:smallredface:
It's a 3rd party book so... good luck with that. And no, the PrC doesn't really have any "weird" RP requirements.

EDIT: Corrected level to 9, since you want that to be with a sorcerer.

MSS can be Maxed at 5 with the right spell level cheese... just in time to take Dweomerkeeper/Incantatrix. :smallbiggrin:

MSS really doesn't fit in the book. The only erotically fantastic thing about it is the bad joke made the flavor text. :smallamused:

Eldebryn
2012-05-09, 02:52 PM
MSS really doesn't fit in the book. The only erotically fantastic thing about it is the bad joke made the flavor text. :smallamused:

That is so true...