PDA

View Full Version : Living Tree House!

White_Drake
2012-05-09, 01:11 PM
Okay, for my character’s home base I was thinking about magically growing a Giant Sequoia, and then using Woodshape to hollow out the interior and make it into a house without damaging the tree (I'll need a uses per day item, otherwise this will be prohibitively expensive). I thought that it would be really cool, and after looking up some statistics on Giant Sequoias, I think that these measurements would be about right (for a large specimen which has been augmented to great growth via magic). Roughly 250 ft tall, 115 ft around, and 35 ft across. My question is this: Does the displaced wood move outwards, increasing the girth of the tree, or is it sculpted away (or used to thicken the remaining wood, whatever, this isn't a discussion of how woodshape works) resulting in an unchanged girth? I like this idea, but if space becomes an issue that, added to all the other impracticalities, would probably dissuade me.

hydraa
2012-05-09, 02:27 PM
Looking at the spell it looks like that the amount of wood remains the same and remains in contact with itself.

So you would probably start with making a tunnel like hole in the tree and have to have room for the wood that is being shape to move adjacent to the area it is in.

Or it might be that you are shaping the tree by moving your 13-30 cubic foot section out of the tree at a time and just making the curve of it a slight difference.

SO take a section about 8 ft tall and 3 ft wide and 1 ft deep and move it out of the tree by 1 ft each time.

So would that be something like 38 castings to make a room 8 ft tall 1 ft wide hallway circuling inside the tree.???

Another thought is that it could be fashioned into something (a pole?) that could be removed from the tree (25 cu ft of redwood is about 700 lbs). Make a hole in the tree and then repeating castings make a pole each time that is removed via the hole.

a 30 ft round room of about 8ft height is about 5670 sq ft or about 227 castings (at 25 cu ft per casting) to remove the material needed. Though some of the castings could make some walls

Jack of Trades
2012-05-11, 07:28 PM
Why don't you just attach your tree house to the outside of tree like the elves do? Avoids problems.

Unless your trying to conceal your house inside the tree.

Are you casting plant growth on your tree?