PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Advice for changing a Malconvoker to Angel Summoner

Bakkan
2012-05-09, 01:18 PM
A player in one of my groups asked for my help in changing the Malconvoker class (CSo) so that it summons celestials rather than fiends while still being good-aligned. This has been pretty easy so far: I have replaced every reference to Bluff with Diplomacy and changed "Deceptive" to "Persuasive" in the class feature names, the idea being that the Benconvoker (as he calls it) summons celestials and the encourages them to be even better and fight harder. I'm not too worried about the fluff, he'll take care of that.

Now there are two class features that don't make sense to keep essentially as written because of the differences already made. The first is Unrestricted Conjuration, which the Malconvoker gets at 1st level and allows the Malconvoker to summon evil creatures (normally an evil act) without taking alignment hits. Since the Benconvoker is nonevil and summoning good creatures, the feature is useless. The second is Safe Summoning (the capstone) which allows the Malconvoker to dismiss his summons with an immediate action. In the case of the Malconvoker this allows him to eliminate any risk in summoning evil creatures because if he fails a Bluff check and his summons turn on him he can just dismiss them. Once again, such a situation is unlikely to occur for the Benconvoker.

So, I need suggestions for what to replace these two class features with. I could simply remove Unrestricted Conjuration entirely, though that makes level 1 a little sparse, especially since he loses a spellcasting level there. I want something good for the capstone, but I am drawing a blank and would appreciate the Playground's help.

Thanks in advance!

deuxhero
2012-05-09, 01:32 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/33uxxxj.jpg

Angel Summoner you say?

Unrestricted Conjuration really only matters for divine entry anyways and isn't a big deal.

JoshuaZ
2012-05-09, 01:46 PM
Maybe replace Safe Summoning with something that prevents enemies from corrupting the summoning? There's a spell in I think BoVD that one can use to make someone summon something evil and not in their control when they would otherwise summon something good or neutral. This would be a corresponding but very weak, extremely situational ability.

More powerful and maybe more directly useful but not really connected would be the ability to cast conjuration (summoning) spells automatically silenced and stilled when they are summon good outsiders?

Feralventas
2012-05-09, 01:53 PM
Switch unrestricted summoning to avoid Chaotic/Lawful infringements. It's not as dire, but the difference between a good-aligned fey and an angel might be the difference between attempting to subvert an evil organization and turning it to good or simply burning it and everyone involved to the ground.

Safe summoning might also protect party members from celestial entities that don't agree with their methods. Lawful Good does not mean Nice, and while you're going out of your way to do good work, your other associates won't always be in line with your benevolent goals; if you don't want your summons to be a risk to the party, safe summoning seems fine as it is.

Particle_Man
2012-05-09, 05:00 PM
Get rid of them and replace with "2nd chance summoning". If your summons get corrupted/dispelled, etc., you may spend a swift action to uncorrupt/ resummon the ones that were lost without using a spell or spell slot.

Or to really hit the "angel summoner" theme: "Invisible summoning" using a spell slot 2 levels higher gives you invisible creatures? (you could modify it to be 1 or 3, I guess). :smallcool:

Or to really hit the theme: "free cohort (must be Tier 5 or Tier 6)".