PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a DM: Debuffers for low level

Fyermind
2012-05-09, 03:43 PM
I want a CR ~1 debuff oriented monster that slows or paralyzes foes or otherwise hampers their retreat. I don't want to use ghouls because my dungeon already has too many of them.

The context:

I am designing an undead themed dungeon for third level characters. As a intermediary climax, I want them to fight a Tainted Minion (HoH) Minotaur.

Stats:

Tainted Minion Minotaur
HP: 39 (6 HD)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30'
AC: 19 (+9 natural , -1 size, +1 dex)
BAB/Grpl: +6/+16
Attacks: Gore +11 (1d8+6) and claws +9/+9 (1d6+3)
SA: Powerful charge 4d6+9, fear aura (DC 14 will, shaken 30' radius)
SQ: DR 10/magic, fast healing 3, undead traits, scent, natural cunning
Saves: fort +2, ref +6, will +5
Abilities: str 23, dex 12, con -, int 7, wis 10, cha 12
Feats: Dreadful wrath, Lifesense, Daunting presence
Skills: Spot +4, listen +4, search +2, intimidate +10
CR 5

To make the encounter more interesting the minotaur has Dreadful Wrath, lifesense, and daunting presence, and is the target of a buffing spell turret (spell level 2, Archivist spells, Haste, Aid, Mass Snake's swiftness, Bulls Strength). The players can subvert the spell turret if they disable it making it target the party instead, targeting randomly for single target abilities.

I am looking for a scavenger monster of some sort that can be the target of players unable to bypass the minotaurs DR

The PCs have the assistance of three level 2 grave robbers (Spellthief, factotum, swordsage) for this fight that are entirely expendable, but have a common interest with them. As soon as the minotaur is destroyed, the grave robbers turn on them.

If the playground thinks this encounter will shred a fairly optimized party (IC/DFI Bard archer, Crusader, Factotum, Shifter Druid) and has ideas for scaling back the encounter while keeping the feeling I am all ears.

Eldariel
2012-05-09, 04:19 PM
You could use NPC spellcasters? Necromancy-themed low-level cultists (of any race, including Necropolitan) for instance could be entirely reasonable; Wizard Necromancers, Clerics and Dread Necromancers all have a decent list of debuffs available to them as does the NPC Adept class. Necropolitan NPCs in general would work extremely well. Necropolitan is a template that basically makes any standard race intelligent Undead, from Libris Mortis.

Raiment [Libris Mortis] is a more mundane undead that could fit your needs perfectly; it grapples and constricts thus excelling at making escaping difficult. Of course, it's essentially a piece of living clothing, so it can be kinda weird... Animated Objects also offer a similar role.

Greyfeld85
2012-05-09, 05:09 PM
Hexblades make decent enemies as well.

Piggy Knowles
2012-05-09, 05:21 PM
Vargouilles are CR 2 with a mass paralyze effect and a poisonous bite. Well-positioned enemies with Improved Grab could also work (darkmantles, crocodiles, constrictor snakes and chokers all come to mind offhand). Wolves and worgs with their trip attacks could similarly hamper retreats. A quasit could cause fear, turn into a tripping wolf, or poison its enemies.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-09, 05:27 PM
Gnome Cleric 2, Earth Devotion (CC), Slime domain (SpC) with spontaneous casting ACF (PH2), if PCs are allowed to use flaws, or if you give him a high enough taint for a bonus feat, go with Dodge and Titan Fighting (RoS), otherwise just Shield Specialization (PH2).

Two Living Spell (MM3) minions: Ray of Enfeeblement and Ray of Clumsiness (SpC), caster level 1st.

He should cast Grease liberally and use his immediate-action Earth Devotion (powered by Rebuke Undead) to ruin charge attacks and catch anyone who avoids the Grease areas. Edit: Earth Devotion can also interrupt and prevent 5-foot steps, which can be especially useful if you put Combat Reflexes on the Minotaur. He should have at least one bonus feat for a high taint score anyway!

Edit 2: You could instead make him a Kobold and give him the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD) for Wall of Smoke (SpC) 1/day. Maybe even make him 3rd level for the Draconic Reservoir (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) feat to make it 3/day instead.

Aurenthal
2012-05-09, 05:34 PM
Difficult terrain? But do it before the spellcasters get fly, wind walk and teleport. Otherwise it's just a minor inconvenience.

Amphetryon
2012-05-09, 09:31 PM
Consider Jermlaines, from MM2. They're CR 1/2 (so you can use a pack of them) and they're skilled trapmakers. Traps can be poisoned, set with low level debuff spells - even Daze - or simply designed to hamper movement via entangling effects.

Person_Man
2012-05-10, 08:33 AM
Plenty of animals have Poison or Disease effects. They can cripple a PC without killing them in a variety of ways.