PDA

View Full Version : Items that Grant templates

Morithias
2012-05-09, 05:08 PM
The collar of Umbral metamorphosis is the only such item I have ever found. So I'm trying to make a special necklace that grants the vampire template.

For the purpose of this item estimate, the vampire template has an LA of +5 not +8 (house rules of my group)

The 24 hour necklace is 22000 gp while the 10 minute is 5400 gp.

The general rule for magic items is (bonus ^ 2) * (price based)

So La 1 (1^2) * (5400) (template 10 minute) = 5400

Same for 24 hour except swap 22k in.

So. An La +5

10 minutes a day (5^2)*(5400) = (25*5400) = 135000 gp
24 hours = 25*22000 = 550000 gp!

Obvious the later is far too expensive for anything except epic.

What do you people think of my calculations? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

For the concept of where this came from, google "Rosario Vampire".

deuxhero
2012-05-10, 12:21 AM
Vampire is considered to be GREATLY overpriced in LA by anyone who takes even a slight glance at it.

Dumbledore lives
2012-05-10, 12:24 AM
Well for something like vampire I'd say it would be fine without squaring the LA. So the 10 minute one would cost around 27000 and the unlimited one would cost 110000 which I think it a fair cost given the stat boosts, abilities, and weaknesses.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-10, 12:28 AM
Pathfinder does LA = CR, which is one of the best ideas I've seen.

They put the Vampire template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire) at CR +2, which suddenly makes your item a whole lot more accessible.

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-10, 12:33 AM
Pathfinder does LA = CR, which is one of the best ideas I've seen.

They put the Vampire template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire) at CR +2, which suddenly makes your item a whole lot more accessible.

With pathfinder adding Charisma to HP instead of con for undead that item would become WAAAY to strong for sorcerers and dread necromancers. Or really any class that has a high charisma.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-10, 12:56 AM
With pathfinder adding Charisma to HP instead of con for undead that item would become WAAAY to strong for sorcerers and dread necromancers. Or really any class that has a high charisma.

Which you could simply houserule. If you don't like it, change it.

Morithias
2012-05-10, 12:59 AM
Wow People really don't think much of Vampire do they?

Come to think of it calculating HP is going to be a bitch with her swapping back and forth constantly via the Rosario.

Thanks for your insight people!

Khedrac
2012-05-10, 05:12 AM
Off topic by the post but on by the title - and comerthing you could look at for comparison...

There's a ring in Frostburn (I think) which gives the Half-Dragon (White) template for a few hours when triggered.

As for making somone into a vampire, there's a strong argument that it would be a one-way transformation as you just lost your Con! Also always remember that the Gaseous Form element is a real weakness in 3.5 - it's not invisible, it is slow moving and can't use most abilities and has simple DR10/Magic - don't expect to get more than 5' before you are chopped to pieces.

Chronos
2012-05-10, 02:49 PM
Pathfinder does LA = CR, which is one of the best ideas I've seen.Actually, it's a terrible idea, but that's a topic for a different thread.

And I'd be reluctant to make an item that gives the vampire template at all, since it's a template that pretty fundamentally redefines your identity. A gnome with the Dark template is basically a gnome first, and a dark creature second: It's a modified gnome. A human with the Vampire template, however, is a vampire first and a human second.

And no, I'm not basing this on any mechanical rules, before you ask. It's just the way it feels to me.

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-10, 08:43 PM
Which you could simply houserule. If you don't like it, change it.

Well thats not a very good basis for creating a system to create items... You could just ignore the rule for creating items and house rule a custom price on every single item.... Not sure what your point here is.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-10, 08:47 PM
Well thats not a very good basis for creating a system to create items... You could just ignore the rule for creating items and house rule a custom price on every single item.... Not sure what your point here is.

I meant the Cha bonus to HP. If the system is 3.5e and not PF, and you don't like that rule because it's overpowered, get rid of it. It's a problem with a very easy solution.

Also yes, you can choose any price you want, but it's hard to do so without guidelines, hence why the MiC was a godsend.