PDA

View Full Version : PF CMD, 3.5 Equivalent?

Diarmuid
2012-05-09, 09:13 PM
I'm considering running the Kingmaker adventure path for my group, but we're a 3.5 group. I'm seeing a few things like CMB/CMD mentioned as early as the Campaign Traits in the Kingmaker Player's Guide and was curious if anyone could give me what the 3.5 equivalent would be for those?

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-09, 09:16 PM
CMB and CMD replace the special rules for doing special combat maneuvers (trip, disarm, bull rush, etc.).

shadow_archmagi
2012-05-09, 09:18 PM
I'm considering running the Kingmaker adventure path for my group, but we're a 3.5 group. I'm seeing a few things like CMB/CMD mentioned as early as the Campaign Traits in the Kingmaker Player's Guide and was curious if anyone could give me what the 3.5 equivalent would be for those?

Basically, Pathfinder renames Trip Checks and Grapple Checks and Bull Rush checks all into Combat Manuevers and makes them work the same.

A CMB (Combat Maneuver Bonus) is just a shortened way of saying your BAB plus your size plus your strength. CMD (Combat Maneuver Defense) is the same thing, but defenders get their Dex thrown in too.

Because the CMD/CMB is just a bunch of numbers already on the character sheet added together, you can ignore it completely and proceed to use 3.5 combat rules as normal.

Hylas
2012-05-09, 09:18 PM
There's no direct conversion of CMB/CMD to 3.5. You'll just need to read the rules for each maneuver you want to do.

Roguenewb
2012-05-09, 10:04 PM
Dang, I always forget how good an idea CMD/B were. You are pretty much out of luck I believe. If your players know 3.5 just tell them you are making the check in question listed and oppose their version of the check, should work.

Diarmuid
2012-05-09, 11:38 PM
Shouldnt be too bad, the text in question was referencing the PC getting a +1 CMD, which I can simply translate as +1 vs Bull Rush, Trip, etc.

Lord_Gareth
2012-05-10, 01:48 AM
Dang, I always forget how good an idea CMD/B were. You are pretty much out of luck I believe. If your players know 3.5 just tell them you are making the check in question listed and oppose their version of the check, should work.

Sadly the execution was really, terrifically bad.

stack
2012-05-10, 01:42 PM
I don't know about that. My tripping maneuver master monk works just fine. I only play pbp though, so the reduced number of opposed checks is wonderful.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-10, 01:46 PM
Sadly the execution was really, terrifically bad.

I would agree. Great idea, not fantastic execution.

See, now you have monsters that literally can't perform combat maneuvers on exact copies of themselves. At higher levels, this becomes really obnoxious, especially if you enjoy using combat maneuvers as a minion-mancer.