PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 how does craft: gem cutting work exactly?

Quintessence
2012-05-09, 11:19 PM
there doesn't seem to be anything listed about it, how does this work is it in some obscure book?

Deophaun
2012-05-09, 11:24 PM
Works exactly like any other craft skill. Is there something in specific you are looking for?

Quintessence
2012-05-09, 11:26 PM
Works exactly like any other craft skill. Is there something in specific you are looking for?

well there doesn't seem to be anything about DC's or anything about how much value it adds to the gem.

Deophaun
2012-05-09, 11:33 PM
Exactly the same as any craft skill:

Very Simple: DC 5
Typical: DC 10
High-Quality: DC 15
Complex/Superior: DC 20
+10 increments for speed.

It adds 200% to the the gem's value (crafting requires materials worth 1/3rd the value of the end product)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-09, 11:36 PM
Ideally, it allows you to triple the value of any gems you find. Realistically, most gems you find are already cut and thus unsuitable to be used for 'raw materials' in crafting of this sort. That's why I went with Craft: Jewelry in my current game, to put all my gems plus a little gp worth of gold or silver into creating art objects which sell for full value as well.

Deophaun
2012-05-09, 11:42 PM
Well, the crafting rules make no mention of what gems are or are not suitable for cutting. It should be noted that allowing a character to use the craft skill to repeatedly re-cut the same gem, tripling its value each time, while ridiculous, does not yield any more value than if he spent the same time cutting masses of low quality, bulk-purchased (let's say 1-5 gp in value each) gemstones.

deuxhero
2012-05-09, 11:51 PM
Should be noted it is one of the skills that can fix a Warforged. Mind you craft armor and Craft Sculpting do it better for having strictly written out uses that actually benefit the typical adventuring party more (armor is obvious. Sculpting is needed for a few homunculus on an Artifcer and can be used with stone to flesh for good effect for a necromancer).