PDA

View Full Version : So, V...

Kudaku
2012-05-10, 06:17 AM
First of all sorry if this has already been answered, but:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : "V"
:smallfrown:

I just started watching the television series V and four episodes in I'm really enjoying it. Therefore it was a bit of a downer to skim the wikipedia article and discover that it was cancelled after two seasons.

As such, my questions are these: Is the series concluded, or wrapped up, at the end of season two? Does it feel like the writers were rushed? Does it end mid-plot line? Is it another Firefly?

I'd really appriceate it if you could keep the spoilers to a minimum.

DigoDragon
2012-05-10, 07:15 AM
I believe it was canceled in the midst of a cliffhanger.

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-10, 08:16 AM
I just started watching the television series V and four episodes in I'm really enjoying it. Therefore it was a bit of a downer to skim the wikipedia article and discover that it was cancelled after two seasons.

I assume we are talking about the remake? :smallamused: I have never watched it, mainly because well, it's a remake and therefore has 97% chance of sucking.

Apparently it is not as boring as it looked from the trailers?

Kudaku
2012-05-10, 08:48 AM
I believe it was canceled in the midst of a cliffhanger.

Well, that sucks :smallmad:. Any idea if there was any kind of closure to the original series or if the book the show is based on is actually at all relevant?

I assume we are talking about the remake? :smallamused: I have never watched it, mainly because well, it's a remake and therefore has 97% chance of sucking.

Apparently it is not as boring as it looked from the trailers?

It is indeed the 2009 remake. I was slightly skeptical myself but found the season one box set at the local DVD place for $15 and figured I'd give it a shot. So far my girlfriend and I are enjoying it greatly. It has a "who can you trust"-feel that's quite entertaining. The terrorism undertones are put on a little heavy at times but it's not too bad. Overall a fun watch :smallsmile:

Lord Seth
2012-05-10, 09:38 AM
Season 2 ends on a cliffhanger, though it seems some people (perhaps facetiously, considering what happens) say they thought it was a great ending for the series. Personally I think it's another example of why writers shouldn't end on cliffhangers unless they're sure they'll be picked up for another season.

I didn't really see much of it, though I did hear some pretty mixed things about it in terms of quality.

Philistine
2012-05-10, 02:29 PM
Well, that sucks :smallmad:. Any idea if there was any kind of closure to the original series or if the book the show is based on is actually at all relevant?

Book?

The 1980s "original" consisted of two miniseries, later followed by a regular weekly show. I remember thinking at the time that the series was cut short, but that was a long time ago - I was younger then. In any case, each installment seemed to wrap up on a good note; and if the series was indeed cut short, at least the writers seem to have received sufficient notice (and had sufficient class) to actually write the final episode as an ending, IIRC (keeping in mind, again that this was a long time ago) with some buildup in the episodes just previous.

Also, I'd say "Don't end the season on a cliffhanger" is a good general rule for TV writing even if you're sure your show is returning for another season. I've never yet seen a season-ending cliffhanger that felt earned (as opposed to, say, cheap.)

Lord Seth
2012-05-10, 02:51 PM
Also, I'd say "Don't end the season on a cliffhanger" is a good general rule for TV writing even if you're sure your show is returning for another season. I've never yet seen a season-ending cliffhanger that felt earned (as opposed to, say, cheap.)I can think of quite a number of shows that had decent cliffhangers. Fringe season 2, The Mentalist season 3 (the resolution was kind of lame but the cliffhanger itself was fine), Star Trek: The Next Generation season 3 (absolute classic), The Vampire Diaries season 1...I don't see issues with cliffhanger endings for a season, my issue is when they have cliffhanger endings when renewal is up in the air.

Admittedly, you don't want to wrap everything up in case you get renewed, but it should at least leave the audience with some feeling of resolution for the season.

The_Admiral
2012-05-11, 02:55 AM
I hate cliffhangers!

Kudaku
2012-05-11, 10:33 AM
Book?

Ah, my bad. I was reading about the various spinoffs and I got the original concept mixed up. I was referring to the V books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(science_fiction)#Novels).