PDA

View Full Version : Good PS3 Exclusives

Deth Muncher
2012-05-10, 03:55 PM
Hey all. So, I've been a pretty hardcore Nintendo dude for all of my life - with the exception of about halfway through the Wii's life, at which time I got a 360 and entered the bliss of HD gaming.

But now, something has come to my attention that is making me consider a PS3 - namely, the fact that the Avengers Blu-Ray is going to have 30 minutes of deleted scenes. This is pretty much the tipping point for me on debating whether to save money for a PS3 or use it for other things (like food) - and so, I look to you guys for help on deciding what some exclusives to the system are worth it.

Now, I'm not going into this thing totally blind here and The Avengers is not the only thing motivating me to get a PS3. I know that the PS3 does wonders with RPGS (especially of the J-flavor), as every Playstation system has. So I'm definitely going to be looking there. In fact, solo-games in general just seem to do well on the PS3. So let me go ahead and throw some criteria out for help here.

What I AM Looking For
-EXCLUSIVES to the PS3
-Can be a downloadable for the PSN
-RPGs
-Tactics games
-Strong solo gameplay, and if co-op, couch co-op is a plus.

What I Am NOT Looking For
-Shooters (I'm rubbish at them)
-Sports titles (they're technically all cross platform anyway, so that doesn't count regardless. Just reiterating.)
-God of War, unless someone makes a REALLY good case for it.
-Move titles, as I don't plan on getting a Move.

Games I Know About, and Need in My Life
-Katamari
-Disgaea
-Several of the Gundam exclusives
-MGS4
-Demon's Souls
-Shadow of the Colossus/Ico
-Uncharted, et al.
-Hyperdimension Neptunia, unless someone makes a good case against it.

Halp please?

EDIT: The reason I say don't say things that are cross platform is that if it's good, and it's cross platform, I probably have it already. I've spent a great deal of time and money filling out my 360 collection, probably more than I'll ever have time to play.

Comet
2012-05-10, 04:29 PM
Dark Souls is pretty much Demon's Souls but better. Worth looking into.
edit: not an exclusive, mind, but still worth thinking about if you haven't already.

Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing strategy game with RPG elements and charming cartoon soldiers to order around in a unique cartoony storybook-fantasy version of the second world war or thereabouts. Definitely worth looking into.

Tengu_temp
2012-05-10, 04:35 PM
Seconding Valkyria Chronicles. That game is great. One of the best titles on the PS3 for sure.

Would suggest Final Fantasy 13, but it's not a PS3 exclusive. Same with BlazBlue (even if it's a fighting game).

Maxios
2012-05-10, 05:00 PM
InFamous 1 & 2
LittleBig Planet 1 & 2

Deth Muncher
2012-05-10, 05:01 PM
Got Dark Souls for the Sexbox Tree-fitty. If it's better than Demons' Souls, then I'll just stick with that one! Good looking out.

Oh yeaaaaaah Valkyria Chronicles! I'd always heard about it, never seen it. I'll have to go a-hunting.

EDIT: Derp, inFamous. Of course. How could I forget! Done goof'd.

Also, the LBP series is basically platformers, yes? And you can customize the Sackboy if you're so inclined?

MEGADOUBLE EDIT: Also, I have BlarzBlur for the 360 and enjoy it thoroughly. Final Fantasy was tempting, but I'm too much a fan of the oldschool ones for the newer ones to be quite my speed. I've gone to the Tales series for a lot of my big hair, JRPG goodness these days. :P

Which reminds me! Tales of Graces. Is good?

MrPig
2012-05-10, 08:13 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Sly Cooper HD collection. They did a marvelous job HDifying (yes, it's a word now) it. Can't go wrong with 3 games for 40 bucks.

Edit: While technically it's cross platform, I'd highly recommend Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-10, 08:43 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Sly Cooper HD collection. They did a marvelous job HDifying (yes, it's a word now) it. Can't go wrong with 3 games for 40 bucks.

Edit: While technically it's cross platform, I'd highly recommend Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Oh man, I forgot they brought Sly Cooper to HD. Also Jak & Daxter, as I recall.

I've got the Arkham games for 360.

Hunter Noventa
2012-05-10, 09:06 PM
The PSN has a goodly number of Classic PS1 RPGs, if you can stomach the older graphics. Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Suikoden, etc. I'd suggest those, as well as the Disgaea series and Valkyria Chronicles.

A Rainy Knight
2012-05-10, 09:24 PM
Just to throw my voice onto the pile, I can't recommend Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles enough. Some of the greatest games I've played in recent memory.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-10, 09:32 PM
Re: Noventa - I actually have a great deal of PS1 RPGs either for the actual PS1 (which I got when the PS2 was well in its heyday) or for the PSP - often in their updated, rereleased forms, like FFTactics: War of the Lions. I never did play any of the Xeno- series, though (I've got the newest one on the Wii, but I know they aren't strictly related).

Re: Rainy - I had the Disgaea DS game, and was disappointed, sadly. :/ Maybe I just didn't grind enough. But I'd like to give the PS3 one a try.

Zevox
2012-05-10, 10:27 PM
I've gone to the Tales series for a lot of my big hair, JRPG goodness these days. :P

Which reminds me! Tales of Graces. Is good?
It's good, but not as much so as other entries in the series. It makes some very nice changes to the combat system and items (it has a truly great item fusion system), but the characters and story are more average. Lots of missed opportunities in my opinion, definitely not up to the standards of Abyss or Vesperia. Still fun though.

That's the only PS3 exclusive I've played at this point though, so I think that's all I can advise you about.

Zevox

Vaynor
2012-05-11, 07:20 AM
Get Heavy Rain. It's a great game, and a playstation exclusive. I believe the PS3 classics version of it is considered a Move game, but only in that it has added Move compatibility, you don't need a move.

If you like Ghibli movies, they're coming out with an RPG for PS3 later this year.

Tengu_temp
2012-05-11, 11:03 AM
If you like Ghibli movies, they're coming out with an RPG for PS3 later this year.

Ni No Kuni! Man, am I looking forward to that game. Same with The Last Guardian.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-11, 11:26 AM
Get Heavy Rain. It's a great game, and a playstation exclusive. I believe the PS3 classics version of it is considered a Move game, but only in that it has added Move compatibility, you don't need a move.

Oh yeaaaaah, Ni No Kuni was the LAST thing to put me in a frenzy over maybe getting a PS3. I think there's another RPG related to it coming out on...something Nintendo? Maybe? -shrug- And I was always intrigued by Heavy Rain. Everyone said the story was really interesting.

Zevox
2012-05-11, 12:19 PM
I think there's another RPG related to it coming out on...something Nintendo? Maybe? -shrug-
Not related to it, but the Wii is finally getting a couple of previously Japan and Europe-only JRPGs released in North America this year. Xenoblade Chronicles is already out, and The Last Story is releasing during the summer.

Zevox

Grif
2012-05-11, 01:45 PM
I'm here to promote the Ratchet & Clank Future bandwagon again. :smalltongue: Seriously though, it's one of the better action platformers on the market and its a PS3 exclusive. (Does have some RPG elements, but solely limited to levelling up hp and weapons, as well as getting new weapons/armour.)

Deth Muncher
2012-05-11, 03:41 PM
I'm here to promote the Ratchet & Clank Future bandwagon again. :smalltongue: Seriously though, it's one of the better action platformers on the market and its a PS3 exclusive. (Does have some RPG elements, but solely limited to levelling up hp and weapons, as well as getting new weapons/armour.)

Did they rerelease the old R&C games on PS3 as well? I'd hate to jump into the series and not know everything.

A Rainy Knight
2012-05-11, 05:31 PM
Re: Rainy - I had the Disgaea DS game, and was disappointed, sadly. :/ Maybe I just didn't grind enough. But I'd like to give the PS3 one a try.

Fair enough. Heck, I got Disgaea DS and never actually finished the main story, but I just can't quit playing Disgaea 4. I think they've done a pretty good job of polishing and improving the series as it went along.

Zevox
2012-05-11, 05:35 PM
Fair enough. Heck, I got Disgaea DS and never actually finished the main story, but I just can't quit playing Disgaea 4. I think they've done a pretty good job of polishing and improving the series as it went along.
I've only played Disgaea 1 and 2 myself, but in a sense I agree. 2 definitely showed some gameplay improvements and refinements compared to 1. Story and characters though, I prefer 1 by a landslide. I hope 3 and 4 will be better in that regard when I get around to them - it would be nice to see characters as enjoyable as Laharl and his gang again, rather than a troupe of annoying idiots like Adell had.

Zevox

Hunter Noventa
2012-05-11, 09:19 PM
Re: Noventa - I actually have a great deal of PS1 RPGs either for the actual PS1 (which I got when the PS2 was well in its heyday) or for the PSP - often in their updated, rereleased forms, like FFTactics: War of the Lions. I never did play any of the Xeno- series, though (I've got the newest one on the Wii, but I know they aren't strictly related).

Ah, awesome for you then. I would highly suggest Xenogears. The second disc got hit by Time Kompression, but the game is still pretty amazing.

Xenosaga isn't BAD per se, but it's very cinematic. And newer PS3's won't play it.

I think they've started putting PS2 games on the PSN, but likely only the most popular ones.

But get yourself Castlevania : Harmony of Despair. It's not an exclusive, but it's a ton of fun playing multiplayer Castlevania.

Grif
2012-05-11, 09:56 PM
Did they rerelease the old R&C games on PS3 as well? I'd hate to jump into the series and not know everything.

It's coming soon.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/15/the-ratchet-clank-collection-going-1080p-on-ps3-multiplayer-included/

Which is making me squee. The only disappointment is that they did not include Ratchet: Deadlocked/Gladiator. That game is unjustly maligned for not being "Ratchet & Clank" enough, but it is surprising fun.

Vaynor
2012-05-12, 07:25 PM
Ni No Kuni! Man, am I looking forward to that game. Same with The Last Guardian.

Oh yeaaaaah, Ni No Kuni was the LAST thing to put me in a frenzy over maybe getting a PS3. I think there's another RPG related to it coming out on...something Nintendo? Maybe? -shrug- And I was always intrigued by Heavy Rain. Everyone said the story was really interesting.

Looking forward to? :smallamused:

*points to location*

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/536812_3026548589927_1449164772_32119846_109406954 2_n.jpg
Ni No Kuni special edition Japan-only PS3 + Ni No Kuni

There is a currently Japan-only Ni No Kuni game for the DS, but I am not aware of any plans to release a NA version. And yes, Heavy Rain is very good.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-12, 11:02 PM
Looking forward to? :smallamused:

*points to location*

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/536812_3026548589927_1449164772_32119846_109406954 2_n.jpg
Ni No Kuni special edition Japan-only PS3 + Ni No Kuni

There is a currently Japan-only Ni No Kuni game for the DS, but I am not aware of any plans to release a NA version. And yes, Heavy Rain is very good.

>_>

<_<

So you wanna buy me one, riiiiight?

Also grr, I'm sad the DS one may not be ported. Much rage to be had.

Also, re: R&C - yay! I always did mean to play the old ones, but I feel like I always ended up just playing demos at K-mart.

...holy crap, I played games at K-mart. That was forever ago. Excuse me while I go crumble into dust...

Deth Muncher
2012-05-15, 11:11 PM
What are peoples' thoughts on the Hyperdimension Neptunia series?

A Rainy Knight
2012-05-16, 09:15 AM
What are peoples' thoughts on the Hyperdimension Neptunia series?

With the disclaimer that I've never actually played the games, only looked up various reviews and watched some gameplay footage while deciding for myself whether to get them: my impression is that they look reasonably well-polished in graphics and voice acting and would be a good niche series for fans of (obviously) JRPGs and Japanese-styled humor, aesthetics, et cetera, but the actual gameplay just isn't good enough to stand on its own. Personally, I got the feeling that Disgaea's sense of humor fit me better than this series'.

Yora
2012-05-16, 11:42 AM
I think nobody mentioned Metal Gear Solid HD and Shadow of the Colossus HD.

Both cases are not really improvements over the old games, but they run on a PS3. So if you don't have a PS2 and those games for PS2, then get them for PS3.

The only problem is, that the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection does not include the first game. But I think it's on PSN. That game is from 1998 and looks exactly like that. But people have fun with Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft, which look considerably worse. On purpose!
So if you're moderately interested in what Metal Gear Solid is about, you should definately give at least the first game a try. If you love it, you can then get the PS3 collection with the second and third game, and a spin-off prequel that is very good from what I've heard, and the fourth game, which has always been for the PS3. Metal Gear Solid is really, really good, but it's not a series for everyone. If you can handle the dialog to cutscene ratio of Final Fantasy, there's not much to worry. Except possibly for the story and characters to be too weird. :smallamused:
But if you think movies like Blade Runner and Inception are cool, instead of pretentious, then this should also be fine.

But in any case, you HAVE TO play Shadow of the Colossus. Some people are not too thrilled about the gameplay (which I don't share), and others don't get anything out of the story that is basically without any dialogs at all, but among the artsy-type games, this one is still pretty much the top dog by a far margin. The PS3 version also comes with a port of ICO, which is very similar in style, but less refined in my oppinion. It's still a very good game, but is clearly standing in, excuse the pun, the Shadow of the Colossus that is its sequel. :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2012-05-16, 12:04 PM
I think nobody mentioned Metal Gear Solid HD and Shadow of the Colossus HD.

MGSHD is cross platform, and /I/ mentioned Shadow of the Colossus/Ico in the OP. :P But that's okay. I AM saddened by the lack of MGS1, but I actually have that game for PS1, so I'm golden. I appreciate the input though. :P

Yora
2012-05-16, 01:07 PM
A true gamer plays games on the original platform anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2012-05-16, 06:31 PM
But in any case, you HAVE TO play Shadow of the Colossus. Some people are not too thrilled about the gameplay (which I don't share), and others don't get anything out of the story that is basically without any dialogs at all, but among the artsy-type games, this one is still pretty much the top dog by a far margin. The PS3 version also comes with a port of ICO, which is very similar in style, but less refined in my oppinion. It's still a very good game, but is clearly standing in, excuse the pun, the Shadow of the Colossus that is its sequel. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow of the Colossus is actually the prequel, I believe.

Tengu_temp
2012-05-17, 12:00 AM
SotC is heavily implied to be the prequel to ICO, yes.

And I actually like ICO more. Sure, SotC has better graphics and more innovative gameplay, but I just love how close you get to Ico and Yorda, how much you care about those kids. It's a much more emotional game.

GungHo
2012-05-17, 08:15 AM
The PSN has a goodly number of Classic PS1 RPGs, if you can stomach the older graphics. Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Suikoden, etc. I'd suggest those, as well as the Disgaea series and Valkyria Chronicles.
I didn't know they put FFT and Suikoden on PSN. I'm honestly still spooked about their security so I never went and looked around after their big incendent. FFT might be a good enough reason to give it another go, though.

I'll also second the InFamous 1 & 2 suggestions above.

Deth Muncher
2012-05-18, 04:00 PM
Ooookay! So, I went and got the PS360box, and was able to get the following games:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
inFamous 1&2
Jak and Daxter Collection
Katamari Forever
Uncharted 3 (came with the system)

And then I downloaded Journey and the bonus powers for inFamous 2.

Also, if you were wondering, the physical PS1 games I have to play on the fancy new machine are:
Final Fantasy 7-9
Arc the Lad (the collection)
MGS1
Threads of Fate