PDA

View Full Version : full attack versus two weapon fighting[3.5]

chomskola
2012-05-10, 03:57 PM
Are these two completely different things? i'm trying to understand the distinction. For example, if you have a 0 base atk bonus, and a two handed weapon could you make two attacks, or using a main and offhand weapon, both at base attack bonus of 0? that doesnt seem to make sense. SO full attack allows you to make more than one attack, each at a decreasing base attack bonus, and ..i'm assuming all subject to the attack penlaties listed for two weapon fighting? while i'm at it, whast the minimum base attack bonus to fight two handed? I wish WOTC had rolled these two areas together in the corebook.:smalleek:

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-10, 04:08 PM
0-BAB with a 2 handed weapon = 1 attack during a full attack with no penalties.

0-BAB while dual wielding = 2 attacks during a full attack, with penalties depending on feats and weapon choices.

There is no BAB pre-requisite to two-weapon fighting or the two-weapon fighting feat. It's improved and greater version however do have BAB requirements.

There is no BAB pre-requisite on two handed fighting either.

TuggyNE
2012-05-10, 04:14 PM
Are these two completely different things? i'm trying to understand the distinction. For example, if you have a 0 base atk bonus, and a two handed weapon could you make two attacks, or using a main and offhand weapon, both at base attack bonus of 0? that doesnt seem to make sense. SO full attack allows you to make more than one attack, each at a decreasing base attack bonus, and ..i'm assuming all subject to the attack penlaties listed for two weapon fighting? while i'm at it, whast the minimum base attack bonus to fight two handed? I wish WOTC had rolled these two areas together in the corebook.:smalleek:

They are, in fact, essentially unrelated; TWF allows you to make an extra attack with your offhand during a full attack action. There is no minimum BAB needed to fight this way.

Also, you appear to be confusing full attack, an action, with iterative attacks, which you get from higher BAB every 5 levels, and which can be taken as part of a full attack.

Here's what your full attacks look like without TWF up to BAB +16, where you get your last iterative:

+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5
+16/+11/+6/+1

Now here's the same BAB progression, with TWF added this time (using the feat and one-handed and light weapons):

-1/-1
+0/+0
+1/+1
+2/+2
+3/+3
+4/+4/-1
+5/+5/+0
+6/+6/+1
+7/+7/+2
+8/+8/+3
+9/+9/+4/-1
+10/+10/+5/+0
+11/+11/+6/+1
+12/+12/+7/+2
+13/+13/+8/+3
+14/+14/+9/+4/-1

Further feats in the chain give you additional iteratives with your off-hand to match the ones you get with your main hand.

Given your example of a two-handed weapon, you would make one attack in a full attack up to BAB +5; at BAB +6 you'd get your first iterative. Therefore there's no difference between a full attack and a standard attack at those levels (in most cases). TWF changes this by giving you an offhand attack.

chomskola
2012-05-10, 04:36 PM
IF you get an extra attack after 5 BAB increases would you not get two main hand attacks and two offhand attacks if using TWF in a full attack? i.e. +4/+4 -1/-1 ?

chomskola
2012-05-10, 04:45 PM
IF you get an extra attack after 5 BAB increases would you not get two main hand attacks and two offhand attacks if using TWF in a full attack? i.e. +4/+4 -1/-1 ?

BlueEyes
2012-05-10, 04:55 PM
No, Two-Weapon Fighting gives only one extra attack in addition to your iterative attacks.

eggs
2012-05-10, 04:57 PM
That's what the improved and greater two-weapon fighting feats do.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-10, 04:59 PM
Well, two weapon fighting just makes it viable by getting rid of the penalties. Each feat,(imp/greater two weapon fighting) add that extra iterative attack, but you can only take that feat once you get the iterative with your main hand.(bab 6/11/16 etc).

srd link :D
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting