PDA

View Full Version : How many attacks of opportunity can you make?

chomskola
2012-05-10, 04:02 PM
In many of the special attacks in 3.5 you provoke AOO's. Somewhere in the rules it says you only get 1 AOO per round. I assume this applies to monsters also. So, if for example you move out of a threatened square and a monster gets an AOO against you, if in the same round one PC tries to sunder the monsters shield, another tries to trip him, and a third tries to grapple him (as implausible as that all is) does he lose those 3 subsequent AOO's because he has already taken one against the first PC? Hope its not a stupid question.

Douglas
2012-05-10, 04:07 PM
Yes, the monster does lose the later AoOs - unless it has Combat Reflexes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#combatReflexes).

Malimar
2012-05-10, 04:09 PM
Correct. The monster can only make that first attack of opportunity.

It can, however, choose to save its AoO. You don't need to make an AoO the first time somebody provokes one. It could, for example, refrain from taking its AoO for the movement, the sunder, and the trip, and then make its attack against the grapple.

Unless, of course, the monster has Combat Reflexes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#combatReflexes). In which case it can make as many attacks of opportunity in a round as it has points of dexterity bonus.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-10, 04:23 PM
Unless, of course, the monster has Combat Reflexes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#combatReflexes). In which case it can make as many attacks of opportunity in a round as it has points of dexterity bonus.

Combat Reflexes actually grants additional AoOs equal to your Dexterity bonus. That means you get to make AoOs equal to your Dex bonus + 1.

Glimbur
2012-05-10, 06:39 PM
It's also important to remember that the same action only provokes once. A rogue walking 10' around that hydra in its threatened area provokes one attack of opportunity. The same rogue moving 30' around the hydra (it's a big hydra) still only provokes one AoO. A double move is two moves, so I believe it would provoke twice.

D&D 3.5 has a lot of little rules. Don't feel bad about asking for help, before you make houserules it is wise to understand the actual rule and why it is how it is.

maysarahs
2012-05-10, 07:05 PM
It's also important to remember that the same action only provokes once. A rogue walking 10' around that hydra in its threatened area provokes one attack of opportunity. The same rogue moving 30' around the hydra (it's a big hydra) still only provokes one AoO. A double move is two moves, so I believe it would provoke twice.

D&D 3.5 has a lot of little rules. Don't feel bad about asking for help, before you make houserules it is wise to understand the actual rule and why it is how it is.

I respectfully disagree with this point because the SRD points out that "moving out of a threatened square" is the action that provokes the attack of opportunity. You still provoke for every threatened square you move out of. This is also why using the Withdraw action states that only the first square you move out of counts as a non-threatened square, and then explicitly notes that any other threatened square you move out of still provokes normally.

Namfuak
2012-05-10, 07:31 PM
I respectfully disagree with this point because the SRD points out that "moving out of a threatened square" is the action that provokes the attack of opportunity. You still provoke for every threatened square you move out of. This is also why using the Withdraw action states that only the first square you move out of counts as a non-threatened square, and then explicitly notes that any other threatened square you move out of still provokes normally.

The reason it notes that is so that if you are either next to a person with reach (so that you run through a threatened square on your way out) or run through another enemy's threatened squares, you will still provoke attacks, but not more than one per enemy. Note the bolded sentence in the following.

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

maysarahs
2012-05-10, 09:08 PM
I stand corrected. Thank you. I'll go yell at my DM now.:smallredface:

Gwendol
2012-05-11, 02:18 AM
Bracers of opportunity (MIC) grants 2 additional AoO's per day and gives +2 to the AoO attack roll.