PDA

View Full Version : Council of Thieves - The Infernal Contract [PF]

Renegade Paladin
2012-05-10, 05:14 PM
I'm currently playing through the Council of Thieves adventure path for Pathfinder. We're on part four of six, "The Infernal Syndrome."

We've been asked to sign an infernal contract that will exempt us from attack by the minions of a certain archduke of Hell, etc while attempting to do whatever it is we've been asked to do. The decision is already made; the entire rest of the party signed while my character and his cohort looked at them like they were insane. The DM cackled ominously at my refusal, and apparently the dungeon we're about to enter is going to try to murder me while leaving them alone. It is too late for any information I get to influence the adventure, but I must sate my curiosity on one particular point: Are there, in fact, consequences down the road for signing? Now, I do not want spoilers or any specifics, but I just want to know, in general terms, whether or not I'm netting any benefit whatsoever or just making the adventure harder on myself for no gain. :smalltongue: (If the latter is true then that's fine; my character is a stubborn and hard as nails dwarf, and his cohort is his equally stubborn and even harder than nails cousin, and neither would consider binding themselves to an archdevil's service in any matter under any circumstances, damn the torpedoes. But curiosity gnaws.)

Mustard
2012-05-11, 03:35 PM
I think any amount of information I could give you regarding this would be more than you want.

I actually don't remember (I played this a year ago), and from that you may be able to infer a little information, but I was tempted to ask you questions to jog my memory. But I realize, you're probably better off not knowing anything besides this. Curiosity gnaws, yes, but its teeth cannot break skin.

If you want, though, remind me of who proffered the contract, and the name of the place you're going in to? I think I know what you're talking about, but I want to be sure. If so, I'll try to reveal just enough information to shoo curiosity away.

Ravenica
2012-05-11, 03:37 PM
Well... if it was offered by a contract devil, there's a good chance their souls are mortgaged XD

Renegade Paladin
2012-05-11, 04:20 PM
I think any amount of information I could give you regarding this would be more than you want.

I actually don't remember (I played this a year ago), and from that you may be able to infer a little information, but I was tempted to ask you questions to jog my memory. But I realize, you're probably better off not knowing anything besides this. Curiosity gnaws, yes, but its teeth cannot break skin.

If you want, though, remind me of who proffered the contract, and the name of the place you're going in to? I think I know what you're talking about, but I want to be sure. If so, I'll try to reveal just enough information to shoo curiosity away.
It was as co-signatories of a contract the House of Thrune has with the aforementioned archdevil. Signing makes the party considered duly appointed agents of Thrune to maintain the Nessian Spiral or some such thing. The contract was offered by the mayor of Westcrown. This happens immediately at the beginning of the book, in the aftermath of the mayoral mansion getting blown sky-high.

It probably doesn't help that I was absent for the first bit of the session due to work; I turned up and it was a fait accompli, with the thing just shoved in my face with all their signatures already on it.

Mustard
2012-05-11, 05:03 PM
Hmm. It's all vague memories, but it's coming back.

Here's what I'm going with: not signing it makes things... slightly complicated.

Renegade Paladin
2012-05-13, 01:18 PM
Oh, I already figured that part. I was wondering about consequences later. I suppose I'll find out.