PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Another go at a Sorcerer retool [PEACH]

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-10, 05:31 PM
This is meant to play alongside the classes and with the feats in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242561).

Changing the sorcerer is an ongoing project of mine. Not "fixing," per se, though that would be nice; but rather, I want to distinguish it from the wizard more, since the sorcerer has always felt like an addition that someone tacked on at the last minute (in fact I've heard rumors to that very effect). I've posted at least one other, at some point.

Further, I don't want the sorcerer to be all about some kind of heritage. I like the idea of dragon blood or fey blood or whatnot flowing through the sorcerer's veins, but I don't think players should have to play up this fact unless they want to - that's what heritage and plain ol' good roleplaying and backstory-writing is for.

...well, anyway, here we go. This sorcerer draws obvious inspiration from both the Shadowcaster, and Ari Marmell's Shadowcaster fix. The class also currently needs a capstone. The reward for being a 20th-level Sorcerer should not be merely another at-will cantrip.

Bonus points to anyone who can think up something I can use to fill in the dead levels without significantly affecting character balance.

NOTE: This sorcerer only gets 7 levels of spells because, as mentioned, it's meant to play with the class revisions above, and I eliminated 8th and 9th level spells entirely, for everyone. For sliding this sorcerer into a more typical 3.5 game, imagine that the sorcerer gains access to 3rd level spells at 5th level, and gains an additional spell level every 2 levels thereafter, up to 9th level spells at 17th level. Also increase uses per spell per day as appropriate, following the standard pattern. Finally, eliminate Quicken Spell and Magical Aptitude from its bonus feat list. Minor changes overall.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ml1t.png

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the sorcerer.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sorcerers are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Cantrips (Sp): As a sorcerer, you first learn to master the basics of spellcasting before proceeding deeper into the arcane might that flows through your blood. These powers, known as cantrips, function as spell-like abilities usable three times per day each. You begin play with three cantrips, and gain an additional cantrip at 4th level and every four additional levels beyond 4th. At 13th level, you can use your cantrips an unlimited number of times per day. Further, you may, when gaining a new level, choose a new cantrip in place of another new spell (see below). When choosing a cantrip, you can ‘relearn’ an already known cantrip, thus gaining another set of uses of that cantrip per day. The save DC of any cantrip you cast is equal to 10 + ½ your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier.
Note that because cantrips are spell-like abilities, they have no spell failure chance due to armor.

Sorcery: Sorcerers cast spells, but in a way that is distinct from other spellcasting classes. You know one spell at 1st level and one additional spell every level thereafter. The maximum level of a spell you can know is given on Table 2-12: the Sorcerer. In addition, you must have a Constitution score of at least 10 + the spell’s level in order to learn or cast any spell.
You can choose your new spell from any category you have access to (including cantrips). For example, at 8th level, you could select a 3rd-level, 2nd-level, or 1st-level spell, or a cantrip. You can cast each spell you know a number of times per day as outlined on Table 2-13: Sorcerer Uses per Spell per Day. In addition, you gain an additional use for each spell you know based on your Constitution modifier. For example, having a Constitution score of 15 allows a sorcerer to cast each 1st and 2nd level spell he knows one additional time per day.
The spell save DC against any spell a sorcerer casts is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter, the sorcerer gains a bonus feat. This bonus feat must be chosen from the following list, and the sorcerer must still meet any prerequisites for the chosen feat.
Augment Summoning, Combat Casting, Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Familiar, Greater Spell Focus, Greater Spell Penetration, Heighten Spell, Improved Counterspell, Leadership*, Magical Aptitude, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Silent Spell, Widen Spell.
*Available with DM permission only.

Spell Shield (Su): By achieving oneness with the magical energy from which you draw your power, you make it part of your life force. Beginning at 4th level, as an immediate action when you take damage from any source, you can attempt to sacrifice spell energy instead of losing hit points. To do this, you must expend a daily use of one spell you know. Then, make a Concentration check with a DC equal to 15 + the level of the sacrificed spell. If you succeed, you ignore all the damage from the incoming attack.
You can attempt to deflect damage as often as you wish, but you can make only one attempt per round.
If an attack must deal damage to have a secondary effect (such as poison from a snake’s bite), negating all the damage also prevents the secondary effect.

Arcane Resistance (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a sorcerer adds his Charisma modifier to each of his saves, but only when making a saving throw against a spell or spell-like ability.

Adept Sorcery (Ex): At 7th level, a sorcerer is adept at maintaining their arcane power when confronted with the possibility of wasting it. A number of times per day equal to half the sorcerer’s level (rounded down), whenever a targeted spell the sorcerer casts fails to penetrate a creature’s spell resistance or is countered by another spellcaster, he can make a Concentration check with a DC of 10 + the spell’s level. If he succeeds, he is able to reabsorb the spell’s power, regaining the spell as though they had never cast it.

Spell Resistance (Ex): At 10th level, the sorcerer gains spell resistance equal to 11 + their sorcerer level.

Spontaneous Counterspell (Su): A 15th level sorcerer does not need to ready an action to perform the counterspell ability. As an immediate action, a sorcerer may identify a spell that's being cast (with the appropriate Spellcraft check, of course) and then may immediately spend a spell slot equal to or higher than the spell's level and counter the spell. Doing so requires line of sight and line of effect, and requires the sorcerer to make a caster level check (DC equal to 11+the casting character's caster level)

Redirect Magic (Su): Beginning at 17th level, a sorcerer is capable of redirecting magic towards a new target. A number of times per day equal to the sorcerer’s Constitution modifier, whenever he successfully counters a spell, he may instead choose a new target for the spell. The new target must have been a valid target for the original spell (a sorcerer cannot, for example, attempt to redirect charm person onto a golem). Area effects can be targeted by Redirect Magic.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-05-10, 06:27 PM
It looks pretty OK. 6 spells per level known, apart from 1st, and a heck of a lot of staying power. Can I ask why you chose to attach uses to spell, rather than sticking to the standard spontaneous schtick? It actually makes it feel a bit more like a prepared caster to me, not to mention being somewhat fluff-confusing as to why you can cast a given spell X times and run dry when you have plenty of remaining magic-- even worse than Vancian casting.

You never actually tell us what Cantrips are. 0-level spells, as normal? (in which case, at-will casting could come way earlier). Special abilities?

Spell Shield could, and probably should, be simplified to just "all the damage from a single attack."

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-10, 08:37 PM
It looks pretty OK. 6 spells per level known, apart from 1st, and a heck of a lot of staying power. Can I ask why you chose to attach uses to spell, rather than sticking to the standard spontaneous schtick? It actually makes it feel a bit more like a prepared caster to me, not to mention being somewhat fluff-confusing as to why you can cast a given spell X times and run dry when you have plenty of remaining magic-- even worse than Vancian casting.

As mentioned, it's based off of the Shadowcaster, who has distinct uses per mystery per day.

If I were to go back to standard spontaneous casting, should I boost per-day uses of spell levels, or keep them as-is?

You never actually tell us what Cantrips are. 0-level spells, as normal? (in which case, at-will casting could come way earlier). Special abilities?

Yes, they're just standard 0-level spells. How much earlier should at-will come?

Spell Shield could, and probably should, be simplified to just "all the damage from a single attack."

It's pulled directly from Dungeonscape, wherein it's an alternate class feature that replaces the sorcerer familiar. I'll make the changes now.

Although should it really be all damage, regardless of damage type? My instinct it to restrict it to just energy damage (fire, sonic, etc) and force damage in that case, but not bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, or untyped.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-05-10, 08:48 PM
As mentioned, it's based off of the Shadowcaster, who has distinct uses per mystery per day.

If I were to go back to standard spontaneous casting, should I boost per-day uses of spell levels, or keep them as-is?
At least return to original sorcerer per-day limits. Maybe even boost them so they max out at, say, 8/level/day. It'll affect staying power, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it won't be that much more dangerous in any given fight.

Yes, they're just standard 0-level spells. How much earlier should at-will come?
Arcane cantrips? You could probably get away with them at-will at level 1, in all honesty.

It's pulled directly from Dungeonscape, wherein it's an alternate class feature that replaces the sorcerer familiar. I'll make the changes now.

Although should it really be all damage, regardless of damage type? My instinct it to restrict it to just energy damage (fire, sonic, etc) and force damage in that case, but not bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, or untyped.
Either way. The latter may be a bit more flavorful, though.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-10, 08:57 PM
Mmn, I'll hold out on at-will cantrips 'til 7th level. For some reason I've always seen 7th level as a "graduation" level of sorts. Probably a holdover from the Star Wars RPG where both Jedi classes graduated from padawan to Knight at 7th level.

Otherwise I'll implement the changes you suggested. Thanks!