PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Elocator Optimization

Hylas
2012-05-10, 10:20 PM
The Elocator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater) doesn't seem like a very powerful class. In fact just about everything is about flanking and movement with very little to increase damage output, and to get into the class you neat the sneak attack line of feats. I tried Googling but what little I could find of the Elcoator was 3.5 related and the groups I play in are pure Pathfinder (though anything you can find in the SRD is okay). Something about the Elocator is just very charming to me, the way you can charge along a wall, over the ceiling, and land an attack on an unsuspecting bad guy is just too cool.

However making that single attack you get from spring attacking everything and running around on walls anything hurtful seems to be tricky for me. As much as I like Soulknife, Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) looks like a better entry as you get bonus powers later on in Elocator, along with much needed bonus feats.

Assuming a non-human, like half-giant, all of the bonus feats will be eaten by spring attack. By 10th level you'll have (effective for feats) a +8 BAB and 5 feats to choose from. I was thinking something like this:
Power Attack
Psionic Weapon
Psionic Meditation
Vital Strike
Greater Psionic Weapon

With a half-giant using a large greatsword and 22 STR that would add up to 10d6+18 damage without moving. Add in some self-enlarging to a huge weapon for more fun.

But that's a waste of spring attack, but getting things like weapon focus and weapon specialization seems like a waste for doing single attacks, but having to duck out of a fight every other round to recharge psionic focus seems silly. I also just noticed that the assassin's path for psychic warrior effectively gives psionic weapon for free at 3rd level, and I'm assuming you can't use both at the same time.

There has to be some awesome feats I'm not noticing that would be perfect for spring attack. Please note that there's errata somewhere that says you can use abilities like cleave and vital strike with a spring attack.

NamelessNPC
2012-05-11, 12:55 AM
Some comments, in no particular order

1- Psionic weapon has no pre requisite, choose it at lvl 1 and you'll one-hit-KO every enemy up to lvl 3 or 4. Power attack doesn't shine until you have BAB 4, at least

2- Elocater is probably better for a gish build. Nomad 6/ Elocater 4/ Slayer 10 is the better one, at least in paper: ML 18, 9th lvl powers.

3- spatial awareness (especially when combined with Flanker) may be, for all effects, improved weapon focus+weapon specialization, depending on how intelligently your DM plays your enemies and how well you place yourself in battle

4- Elocater 8 is probably the optimizers' choice, because its capstone sucks, and ML lost are not worth it

In any case, I really love that class and I hope you can make it shine

EDIT: Ortography/Etc mistakes

Chained Birds
2012-05-11, 01:16 AM
Just wanted to chime in by saying that Elocators are pretty fun in a Fluff sense. With the floating thing they do, you can go over water, difficult terrain and make many pressure traps pretty useless until your non-floating buddies land on them. Also the bonus to Acrobatics is pretty nifty for (air)tumbling around enemies.

From an optimization point of view, most Prestiges for PF are a bit lack luster compared to what you will be losing from your base class. But at least Elocator gives you something to RP with and maybe you can even do one of those comical walking-off-a-ledge-and-not-realize-you-are-walking-off-a-ledge-until-you-look-down gags.