PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Critical Hit Question

agentnone
2012-05-11, 12:23 AM
So this last game session in my group, a player in our group had been doing critical hits different than everyone else, and we only just now found out how he was calculating it. Below is part of the rules from the PRD site.

Critical Hits: When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target's Armor Class, and you have scored a “threat,” meaning the hit might be a critical hit (or “crit”). To find out if it's a critical hit, you immediately make an attempt to “confirm” the critical hit—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made. If the confirmation roll also results in a hit against the target's AC, your original hit is a critical hit. (The critical roll just needs to hit to give you a crit, it doesn't need to come up 20 again.) If the confirmation roll is a miss, then your hit is just a regular hit.

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Does that mean, that when I roll damage for a critical hit with my longsword, with a +3 strength modifier, I roll 1d8 twice and add the +3 from strength to each die roll seperately, or only add it once after both die results have been totalled? The wording is a little confusing and can go both ways. We've traditionally gone with the D&D 3.5 way since that's what we're used to, though after further review, it seems it could be interpreted either way. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Should also note, that the core rulebook we have states the rule above verbatim. Thanks in advance.

NamelessNPC
2012-05-11, 12:41 AM
every damage modifier (except from additional dice, like with the Vicious weapon) gets multiplied for 2. In this case, a critical hit deals 2d8+6. it's just like in 3.5

agentnone
2012-05-11, 12:45 AM
3.5 said you roll damage dice a number of times equal to the weapon multiplier, then added bonus damage from Strength or other sources. I'm on my work computer and can't confirm this for 100% as most the websites are blocked, and it's been a couple years since we played 3.5, but that's how we all understood the way it was explained. In PF it's a lot more vague and open to interpretation. It doesn't say to add your usual bonuses to each individual roll, but it doesn't say to just add it once either. Hence our confusion.

And yeah, we know things like sneak attack damage and whatnot don't get multiplied. I didn't post the whole critical hit rule. Just the part that confuses us.

NamelessNPC
2012-05-11, 01:23 AM
Well, I play PF and I surf the SRD like 2 hrs a day, and I haven't ever found a rule that says anything different thatn what I said, so at least when you play PF I'm 99% sure that crits are like that:

Everything times 2, except for additional dice

quote, from SRD
When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target's Armor Class, and you have scored a "threat," meaning the hit might be a critical hit (or "crit"). To find out if it's a critical hit, you immediately make an attempt to "confirm" the critical hit—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made. If the confirmation roll also results in a hit against the target's AC, your original hit is a critical hit. (The critical roll just needs to hit to give you a crit, it doesn't need to come up 20 again.) If the confirmation roll is a miss, then your hit is just a regular hit.

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Precision damage (such as from a rogue's sneak attack class feature) and additional damage dice from special weapon qualities (such as flaming) are not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

EDIT: The PRD says exactly the same thing

agentnone
2012-05-11, 01:25 AM
Awesome. We've been doing it totally wrong then. Thanks for the clarification.