PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Razmiran Priest: Ghetto Archivist?

deuxhero
2012-05-11, 02:54 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/razmiran-priest

You trade Fly and Appraise for Know: Religion and Preform. A bad trade because there does not seem to be a trait to regain Fly, but that's not what we are here for. You also get a bonus on UMD for divine items (neat)

False Focus is gained in place of Eschew Materials, I have no idea if it is good or not because False Focus isn't on the srd.

You trade your 2nd and 3rd level bonus spells for Aid and Remove Disease, still not what you are here for.

The 9th level ability however IS awesome (at least to this sleepy poster, likely wrong). It replaces your 9th level bloodline ability (may or may not be big deal. ) and in return you can use your spell slots (one level higher) to avoid using items/charges in a divine magic item. They don't get your CL or stats though, but you can pull any spell you keep a 1 charge wand or scroll around for out of your ass.

There's a UMD check, but even with just the bare minimum acceptable mod for a level 9 Sorc (start with 16+2 racial Charisma , 2 level up points into Charisma, and a +4 headband and a 9 skill points+3 class skill is +19 mod), plus the bonus granted at level 1 (half Sorc level, so 4) you auto beat any check you need to make.

(Note: I'm not sure if the bonus at level 1 applies to emulating a high wisdom, but that's easily fixed with either CWI to get a +6 headband and a Circlet of Persuasion, which oddly uses a separate slot, or just using Oracle/Paladin/Anti Paladin scrolls/wands for a bit)

grarrrg
2012-05-12, 01:11 AM
False Focus is gained in place of Eschew Materials, I have no idea if it is good or not because False Focus isn't on the srd.

After doing some internet spelunking, I have discovered the ability of the feat.
It's basically Eschew Materials on Steroids.

(Note: I am not going to link to the source, but I will provide the main benefit)

By using a divine focus as part of casting, you can cast any spell with a material component costing the value of that divine focus (maximum 100 gp) or less without needing that component.

So as long as you have your Divine Focus, it is strictly better than Eschew Materials. Lose your Divine Focus and you're boned.

deuxhero
2012-05-12, 12:03 PM
Wow, Fabricate for any non-magic 300 GP item instantaneously is just off the top of my head. Wonder why it isn't on the SRD.

Benly
2012-05-12, 12:32 PM
Wow, Fabricate for any non-magic 300 GP item instantaneously is just off the top of my head. Wonder why it isn't on the SRD.

Remember to spend your extra slots Fabricating diamond dust from imaginary 100-GP diamonds before you go to bed! Or whatever other >100GP material component you prefer best.

CTrees
2012-05-12, 03:08 PM
Hrm... wish there was a good way to get Staff-like Wand on a sorceror... that could push the Razmiran Priest over into the "cackle maniacally" category (at least for me).

EDIT: three levels of Pathfinder Savant, of course! Always take 10 on UMD (I will never fail) and using your own caster level on all spell completion items is a nifty addition. With enough scrolls, being able to spontaneously cast EVERY spell of 8th level or lower, in the game, is pretty nice...

Benly
2012-05-12, 03:36 PM
Actually, after another look at Fabricate, fabrication from nothing won't work with this feat. The material to be worked is both the material component and the target for Fabricate, so even with the material component being replaced, you'd still be casting without a valid target.

Either that, or you'd be substituting your holy symbol as the target, which would still not be abusable. Even though the divine focus isn't consumed as a material component, it's still the target of Fabricate and so is going to be something other than a divine focus afterwards, leading to the need for a new one. (Well, unless your GM lets you get away with "I'm fabricating a sword with a clip-on 100GP holy symbol clipped to it" or "I'm fabricating a 100GP holy symbol with 200GP worth of diamonds very loosely attached.")

CTrees
2012-05-12, 04:02 PM
Well, "I'm creating three copies of my holy symbol with my first casting of Fabricate, then using my second and third castings to make diamonds, leaving me with my holy symbol and 600gp of diamonds." complicated, but it may work.

Benly
2012-05-12, 04:08 PM
Well, "I'm creating three copies of my holy symbol with my first casting of Fabricate, then using my second and third castings to make diamonds, leaving me with my holy symbol and 600gp of diamonds." complicated, but it may work.

True. Fabricate does a perfectly good job of generating arbitrary wealth on its own; what False Focus does for it is offer a "neutral material" that Fabricate can process into anything.

CTrees
2012-05-12, 04:21 PM
True. Fabricate does a perfectly good job of generating arbitrary wealth on its own; what False Focus does for it is offer a "neutral material" that Fabricate can process into anything.

Yep. Actually, interesting thought on the "neutral material" use: it seems this is REALLY good at generating difficult to obtain items. For instance, "the material component I'm replicating is my enemy's hair, and I'm Fabricating a ball of his hair, tied in knots. Now I'll cast Scrying..." attuned metal tuning forks for Plane Shift also come to mind... Pretty cheesy, but might actually work. I'm sure there are other examples.

Benly
2012-05-12, 04:42 PM
Yep. Actually, interesting thought on the "neutral material" use: it seems this is REALLY good at generating difficult to obtain items. For instance, "the material component I'm replicating is my enemy's hair, and I'm Fabricating a ball of his hair, tied in knots. Now I'll cast Scrying..." attuned metal tuning forks for Plane Shift also come to mind... Pretty cheesy, but might actually work. I'm sure there are other examples.

I could see the scrying one not working, on the basis that even though it's his hair it's never been part of his body or come in contact with him, so it doesn't match either of those connection categories. The tuning fork one might work, but it's not clear exactly how they're attuned to the target plane so it's not clear. If it's just "craft a tuning fork with the right frequency" then yeah, a Craft check would work, but if it's "ritually attune it on the plane in question" then that's kind of outside Fabricate's wheelhouse.

Crasical
2012-05-12, 07:32 PM
I really like that ability to cast-through divine scrolls, I'm just torn by the fact that it shows up relatively late in a characters career, and that Razmirans are Jerks.

Jack Zander
2012-05-12, 08:10 PM
I could see the scrying one not working, on the basis that even though it's his hair it's never been part of his body or come in contact with him, so it doesn't match either of those connection categories. The tuning fork one might work, but it's not clear exactly how they're attuned to the target plane so it's not clear. If it's just "craft a tuning fork with the right frequency" then yeah, a Craft check would work, but if it's "ritually attune it on the plane in question" then that's kind of outside Fabricate's wheelhouse.

It's magic. If its his hair, its his hair. Maybe the spell teleported hair right out from his head or something.

deuxhero
2012-05-12, 10:10 PM
I really like that ability to cast-through divine scrolls, I'm just torn by the fact that it shows up relatively late in a characters career, and that Razmirans are Jerks.

Play a defector then. It's not like the archetype represents any training or anything you need to continue, you were mutated by Razmir.

Any good bloodlines to pair it with?

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-12, 11:28 PM
Play a defector then. It's not like the archetype represents any training or anything you need to continue, you were mutated by Razmir.

Any good bloodlines to pair it with?
Arcane is probably the best, as Razmir is a powerful wizard and you learned from his best.

I have to agree that it's kind of hard. The fluff basically states that anyone who actually joins Razmir's church goes to a fortress where they either emerge completely brainwashed into a devout believer...or they don't emerge at all. I suppose such a person could be deprogrammed, but then there's the question of why they'd keep up the whole song and dance of worshiping Razmir, as his priests are generally seen as troublemakers outside of Razmiran itself due to their thug-like practices and Razmiran's blatant expansionism.

deuxhero
2012-05-13, 12:39 AM
Ah, not too up to date on Razmir fluff (or PF fluff beyond general wiki overview).

Sleep agent?

Benly
2012-05-13, 04:00 AM
It's magic. If its his hair, its his hair. Maybe the spell teleported hair right out from his head or something.

You can just as well say "It's magic. It can be his hair without ever having been part of his body". All that "it's magic" does for the argument is say "I'm right and don't have to explain why".

Also, it explicitly didn't teleport hair straight out of his body, it made a knot of his hair out of your holy symbol. That's what Fabricate does: it makes a thing out of some raw material. This just lets you replace the raw material with your holy symbol.

CTrees
2012-05-13, 06:02 AM
Arcane is probably the best, as Razmir is a powerful wizard and you learned from his best.

For fluff, yeah, probably arcane .maybe Aberrant, given the "mutation" bit. I'm always a fan of Sylvan (usually with Boon Companion), and it could be kinda fun to pretend you're a druid at every opportunity. Basically, allof the strong bloodlines are still strong, but you can't rely on the 9th level power (so some, like Shadow, becomeMUCH less appealing).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to "how to justify this," classes are constructs, things can be refluffed, etc. Same old debate. Alternatively, there's the ultimate magic spell: Summon Backstory. You escaped/were rescues before indoctrination was complete. You resisted the process, but used your bluffing skills to fake it. You were captured by (insert good guys) and they broke through your conditioning and turned you into a force for good. Over time and exposure to mind altering drugs/magic the indocrination was overcome, though you still feel that voice in your head at all times. You're extremely loyal, just given a longer leash as a field agent, and your entire existence is based on lies anyway...