PDA

View Full Version : Size Huge potions

hymer
2012-05-11, 07:36 AM
A huge giant brews a potion. I assume it will be at least large enough that he isn't troubled in getting it out, unstopping it and enough of it making it from his mouth into his belly to have an effect.
Now, the PCs come along, and may well manage to kill the huge giant off before he gets to quaff his potion (or has a good reason to try). So the GM tells them they find a potion on the giant when they loot him.
Now, this may go by without so much as a titter, but how does the GM explain this in a manner that allows both the halfling and the eldritch giant to use the potion if the players ask? How do you guys handle this sort of thing?

Water_Bear
2012-05-11, 07:45 AM
Well, the way I see it a Potion is just an alchemical liquid designed to hold a 4th level or lower spell. It should be the same size no matter how large you are, because you only need so much potion to hold a spell of the same level.

If you want a Potion-like item which are more to scale for a Huge sized creature, you might want to look into Skull Talismans from Frostburn. The skull of a Large creature can hold a 9th level or lower spell, while the skull of a Medium creature can hold a 6th level or lower spell. These are more appropriate for a Giant to use than a Potion anyway, and are actually better in terms of Consumable Items.

SaintRidley
2012-05-11, 09:06 AM
Simple:

Potion bottles size themselves to be appropriate to the last creature to touch them. The potion itself magics itself into a dose large enough for a creature that would use such a bottle.

Headaches removed.

Answerer
2012-05-11, 09:09 AM
Someone in the party is assumed to be carrying around bottles. The giant's potion isn't a larger does, but the bottle is shaped to allow his larger hands to manipulate it more easily. They just transfer the potion from one bottle to another.

hymer
2012-05-11, 02:22 PM
Thanks all three. :)
I'll probably be using Answerer's suggestions, as it's nicely untechnical and fits most giants, but the other suggestions definitely have their places.