PDA

View Full Version : The Reserve-only Sorcerer [3.P]

JadePhoenix
2012-05-11, 09:35 AM
OK, a thread here made me really interested in trying a Sorcerer who never casts his spells or spends his slots, instead relying on Reserve feats (and wands/scrolls/the like). The idea is that this character is afraid of spending his spell slots and becoming defenseless (traumatized or something), so she tries her best to get by without them. I might multiclass into Rogue, dunno.
I'm considering playing this as a replacement for my current character, so I need a level 9 or 10 build (I figure my character's arc will be dealt with by then). Does this seem doable?

I'm thinking a Stalwart Battle Sorcerer is the best option here, since I'm actually losing nothing. Minor Shapeshift and Summon Elemental are obvious choices. We have banned Polymorph in this game, so I'd have to use trollshape or somehting similar to trigger Minor Shapeshift.

I'm also considering Blade of Force, but the only real benefit is the Ghost Touch-lite property. Born Aloft sounds cool. I really dunno.

Elemental bloodline makes the most sense, so I think I'd go with it.

Larkas
2012-05-11, 09:39 AM
Why is Polymorph banned, anyways? It is much more balanced in a Pathfinder environment.

I would suggest Battle Sorcerer, but you already thought of that. It should make for a fairly interesting gish-like character!

Lastly, I'd suggest taking a look at the Sage (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/sorcerer.html#_sage) bloodline.

Andorax
2012-05-11, 10:47 AM
I'm not all that familiar with Pathfinder, and what from 3.5 can still be used in it...so disregard if I'm talking nonsense here.

However, there's a divine ACF in Complete Champion for sorcerors that gives you access to a domain. Healing Domain + Touch of Healing reserve feat makes for a most unusual sorceror indeed.

Duke of URL
2012-05-11, 10:50 AM
As we discussed in the thread that kicked this off, Heighten Spell is almost a necessary feat tax to make it work effectively. You might not need to pick it up right away, depending on which reserve feats you choose, and when.

Acanous
2012-05-11, 10:54 AM
any particular reason you're going sorc here? Wizard works better with reserve feats, as you get higher spells faster, have no cap on how many spells you know per level, etc.

It'd save you a feat or two, plus you'd get bonus feats.

tyckspoon
2012-05-11, 11:04 AM
any particular reason you're going sorc here? Wizard works better with reserve feats, as you get higher spells faster, have no cap on how many spells you know per level, etc.

Sorcerer actually does work a bit better for Reserves, due to how they interact with spontaneous slots; all of their spell slots are all of their spells. That is, say you have Minor Shapeshift, Fiery Burst, and whatever it is the lightning one is called. A Sorcerer can run all of those from a single spell slot if he has appropriate spells known; as long as he could potentially cast the appropriate spell at all, he can continue using the related Reserve feats. A Wizard would have to prepare Polymorph, Fireball, and Lightning Bolt separately, and will lose the use of the related Reserve feat if conditions force him to cast his last copy(/ies) of that spell.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-11, 11:04 AM
As we discussed in the thread that kicked this off, Heighten Spell is almost a necessary feat tax to make it work effectively. You might not need to pick it up right away, depending on which reserve feats you choose, and when.

I'll probably take it at 1st or 3rd level, since I can't take any reserve feats in thoe slots.

Duke of URL
2012-05-11, 11:14 AM
I'll probably take it at 1st or 3rd level, since I can't take any reserve feats in thoe slots.

That works. Can you fit in Versatile Spellcaster as well? A rather generous reading of that could imply that you can use two spell slots at your highest level to cast a metamagiced version of a spell you know at your highest spell slot level + 1; and hello again Heighten Spell...

JadePhoenix
2012-05-11, 11:17 AM
That works. Can you fit in Versatile Spellcaster as well? A rather generous reading of that could imply that you can use two spell slots at your highest level to cast a metamagiced version of a spell you know at your highest spell slot level + 1; and hello again Heighten Spell...

Hm, I guess I could fit that (but then I'd change my bloodline to draconic). Normally I'd be against that, but since I'll never be casting spells...

It's a good thing the warlock in my game is a clawlock, otherwise I'd be stepping all over his toes :smallsmile:

Duke of URL
2012-05-11, 11:22 AM
No need to change the bloodline -- there is no draconic requirement for that feat, despite the book it appears in. You only have to be able to spontaneously cast spells.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-11, 11:26 AM
No need to change the bloodline -- there is no draconic requirement for that feat, despite the book it appears in. You only have to be able to spontaneously cast spells.

It requires the dragonbloos subtype doesn't it?

Oh, just checked, it's really not necessary. Yeah, I think I'll stick with elemental bloodline then. It's not exactly good, but it fits thematically.
In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a kingdom where summoning elementals is forbidden in my DM's world. I could come from that place.