PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] Blade Mage

Holocron Coder
2012-05-11, 10:40 AM
So, it's been a while since I've thrown up any homebrew material of mine. Partially work, partially school, partially just learning more and other systems :smallsmile: But this is a class archetype that I've wanted to play since forever, but haven't found a good way of modeling with any combination of classes and rules. So, with that, here's a homebrew base class that focuses on mixing martial melee grace with occasional spells. The inspiration is partially from Piandao of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Specifically, a person who wields a single straight-blade with one hand and is somewhat monk-like in act and combat. The empty off-hand is then used to cast spells during combat, either to buff the combatant (owl's wisdom, etc), to trip up enemies (evard's tentacles, etc), or even head off enemy reinforcements (fireball, etc).

Blade Mage
The blade mage is a powerful gestalt of martial and arcane power. Wise, often beyond his years, the blade mage travels the world an adventures for any number of reasons, but most enjoy learning and teaching, be it through lessons hard or taught.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Blade mages have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Wisdom is the most important attribute for the blade mage, governing many of his class abilities. Secondary are Dexterity and Constitution, as the blade mage will often find themselves in the midst of combat. Strength can be of use for that additional extra damage, and Intelligence is useful for the additional skills. Charisma is of the lowest importance, but is useful for diplomatic skills.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

CLASS SKILLS
The blade mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha). See Chapter 4 of the Player’s Handbook or Chapter 2 of the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Table 1-1: Blade Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Flowing Weapon|4|3|1

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|AC Bonus|5|3|1

3rd|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|Cantrips, Spells, Arcane Learning|5|4|1

4th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+2|Magical Bonus Feat|6|4|1

5th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+3|Weapon Aptitude, Martial Bonus Feat|6|4|2

6th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Arcane Learning|7|5|2

7th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Magical Bonus Feat|7|5|2

8th|
+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Martial Bonus Feat|8|5|2

9th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Arcane Learning|8|6|2

10th|
+10/+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Magical Bonus Feat|9|6|3

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Martial Bonus Feat|9|6|3

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+6|
+6|
+6|Arcane Learning|10|7|3

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|Magical Bonus Feat|10|7|3

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Martial Bonus Feat|11|7|3

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|Arcane Learning|11|8|4

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+7|Magical Bonus Feat|12|8|4

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|Martial Bonus Feat|12|8|4

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|Arcane Learning|13|9|4

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+9|Magical Bonus Feat|13|9|4

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Omniscient Strike|14|9|5[/table]

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the blade mage.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A blade mage is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as the Jian exotic weapon. A blade mage is proficient with light armor and bucklers.
Maneuvers: A blade mage begins with knowledge of four martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to a blade mage are Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw, and White Raven.
Once you know a martial maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by a blade mage is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance and do not provoke attacks of opportunity when initiated.
Upon reaching 4th level, and every 3 levels afterward, the blade mage may choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one that he already knows. In effect, you lose access to the old maneuver in favor of a new one. The new maneuver may be of any level the blade mage already knows, as long as the restriction on highest-level maneuvers is observed. The blade mage may only swap a single maneuver this way each time.
Maneuvers Readied: As warblade (see Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, page 21)
Stances Known: The blade mage begins with knowledge of a single 1st level martial stance from any discipline the blade mage has access to (see Maneuvers, above). At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, the blade mage learns an additional stance. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended and do not have to be readied. All of the stances the blade mage knows are available to him at all times, and he can change his current stance with a swift action. All stances are extraordinary abilities unless otherwise noted in its description.
Flowing Weapon: When wielding a single weapon in one hand, wearing light or no armor, is lightly or unencumbered, and does not carry a shield, a blade mage may substitute his Wisdom modifier in place of his Strength modifier for calculating attack rolls and damage rolls.
AC Bonus: Starting at 2nd level, a blade mage may add his Wisdom modifier as a bonus to Armor Class, so long as he is wearing light or no armor, is lightly or unencumbered, and does not carry a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the blade mage is flat-footed. However, he loses this bonus if he is immobilized or helpless.
Cantrips: The blade mage knows the following cantrips, and may cast them at any time: Resistance, Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Daze, Flare, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, and Prestidigitation.
Spells: At 3rd level, the blade mage gains the ability to cast a limited selection of spells. The blade mage’s spells are chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list and may not use expensive material components. The blade mage’s caster level is equal to his class level, and Wisdom is the blade mage’s primary casting ability score. The blade mage does not suffer arcane spell failure while wearing light armor or equipped with a buckler and does not provoke attacks of opportunity from casting spells in melee.
Each encounter, the blade mage has access to a number of prepared spells, chosen during a 5 minute meditation period at any point prior to the encounter. The blade mage may prepare a number of spells equal to his Wisdom modifier, minimum 1. The spells prepared may each be different spells or multiple copies of the same spell. At any point during an encounter, the blade mage may refresh expended spells by spending a full-round action to take a total defense action. Any damage taken while refreshing spells wastes the turn and no spells are refreshed.
The blade mage does not gain the ability to cast scrolls or wands, other than through the Use Magic Device skill.
Arcane Learning: At 3rd level, and every 3 levels after, the blade mage learns additional spells appropriate to his level. At 3rd level, the blade mage learns a number of 1st level spells equal to 1 + his permanent Wisdom modifier, minimum 1. At 6th level, the blade mage learns the same number of 2nd level spells. This continues on in the same pattern, culminating with the blade mage learning 1 + his permanent Wisdom modifier worth of 6th level spells. If a blade mage gains a permanent increase to his Wisdom score that results in an increase to the modifier, he learns an additional spell of each level he already knows.
In addition, at 12th level, the blade mage may prepare spells equal to twice his permanent Wisdom modifier, minimum 2.
Magical Bonus Feat: At 4th level, and every 3 levels after, the blade mage gains a bonus magical feat. This feat may be any metamagic feat, any feat that requires arcane caster levels, or any spell that improves his caster level, spell DC, or similar casting statistic.
Weapon Aptitude: As warblade (see Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, page 22)
Martial Bonus Feat: At 5th level, and every 3 levels after, except 20th level, the blade mage gains a bonus martial feat. This feat may be any feat that requires fighter levels, has a minimum base attack bonus requirement, or improves or modifies attacks made with a melee or ranged weapon.
Omniscient Strike: At 20th level, once per encounter, as an immediate action, a blade mage may prepare an omniscient strike. All of the blade mage’s attacks, made in the same turn as the immediate action, will hit their legal target (i.e. a melee attack must be in melee range, etc). This ignores miss chance and similar effects, but does not overcome other avoidances, such as a ghost’s incorporeal status, on its own.

Table 1-2: Weapons
{table=head]Exotic Weapons|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type

Jian|
325 gp*|
2d3|
2d4|
19-20/x3|
--|
3 lb.|
Slashing[/table]
*Includes cost to masterwork the weapon.

WEAPON DESCRIPTIONS
Jian: The jian is a double-edged straight sword of rare quality. They are a favorite of fighters who prefer a free hand in their combat, or duelists who are familiar with the rapier and its kin but desire a stronger blade.
All jian are masterwork weapons and thus provide a +1 to attack rolls while being wielded.

Chronologist
2012-05-11, 10:56 AM
Access to martial maneuvers AND spells up to 6th level seems a bit much to me. In addition, gaining additional spells prepared at 6th, 12th, and 18 is excessive. In short, it's too powerful.

Look up the Codex of Spellshaping on these forums, I think what you're trying to build is really a hybrid of Manuevers and Spellshaping from that book. The Codex of Spellshaping is incredibly well done and well balanced, and it's designed to fit right alongside martial characters.

Making a Medium BAB class with fewer skill points, good Will saves and MAYBE reflex saves, with access to three Schools of Manuevers and three Circles of Spellshaping is the best idea I can come up with.

Holocron Coder
2012-05-11, 11:03 AM
Access to martial maneuvers AND spells up to 6th level seems a bit much to me. In addition, gaining additional spells prepared at 6th, 12th, and 18 is excessive. In short, it's too powerful.

I cut down the number of prepared spells to be more in line with readied maneuvers (i.e. twice permanent Wisdom bonus). Note that it is the permanent Wisdom bonus that matters, so items and temporary bonuses do not affect it.
Something I've thought about in addition, to limit the spellcasting, is to restrict the class to certain schools of magic or even to provide a particular spell list.

Look up the Codex of Spellshaping on these forums, I think what you're trying to build is really a hybrid of Manuevers and Spellshaping from that book. The Codex of Spellshaping is incredibly well done and well balanced, and it's designed to fit right alongside martial characters.

I might track that down and take a look at it. I haven't been on the forum too much of late, so I may have missed developments.

Making a Medium BAB class with fewer skill points, good Will saves and MAYBE reflex saves, with access to three Schools of Manuevers and three Circles of Spellshaping is the best idea I can come up with.
Well, currently all of the saves are of the quasi-homebrew "average" variety. No good saves, no bad saves. I felt that this solution was better than trying to figure out which of the saves would be bad. Also, medium BAB has always been rife with problems, namely that it tries to define a character that is more melee-backup than melee-focused, which this class should be.
I've no comment on the spellshaping as of yet. Got a link to that book? Found site, reading.

Chronologist
2012-05-11, 11:55 AM
I still think that gaining spells that can be recovered with a full-round action is a bad idea. Maneuvers do not scale with level, but spells do. Spells can also do a lot more than maneuvers, and tend to be more powerful.

Average saves are okay, but I don't see why this class should have them. It's clearly a caster of 6th level spells, so it should have good Will saves like very other class that can cast 6th level spells. It also has full base attack bonus, which means it should have good Fortitude saves. It does not, however, have a mobility focus like a Bard or Rogue, and therefore should have poor Reflex saves in my opinion.

Also, 6 + Int skill points is too many for a Maneuver user. You see that with Scouts, Bards, and Rangers, all of whom are specifically skill-oriented characters. I'd take it down to 4+Int, and only keeping it above 2+Int because certain maneuvers require skill checks.

Soulknives and Psychic Warriors both have medium base attack bonus and are front-line fighters. This class is also more versatile than a Warblade or Crusader, putting them more in line with a Swordsage... who ALSO has medium base attack bonus.

Compare this class to the Magus from Pathfinder Ultimate Magic, if you can. It's a medium BAB front-line fighter with 6th level arcane casting from a limited list. It supplements its medium BAB with class features. Your Blade Mage can do everything that class does, and do it better, and it also has 9th level Maneuver use. You need to tone it down.

zegram 33
2012-05-11, 02:59 PM
if its a straight up combatant...i dont like the idea of it gaining fully offensive spells on its spell list, but thats just me.
what about: its spells can be recovered by the usual 8 hour rest OR when it kills a target it recovers a spell of up to...say 1/3 of that targets hit dice, in level.
maybe even allow you to "pool" these recovery points, so killing 2 6HD creatures allows you to recover a 4th level spell?
also on the "maybe" side, have a signature stance that, while in that stance, instead recovers up to half the creatures HD in spell level?

i dont know if this s an idea that would work or that you like, but it seems like it would allow the blade mage a fairly constant stream of weak spells to power himself up and disorientate enemies, but keep a pretty strict limit on the powerhouses, to keep it in the vein of "offensive melee combatant with magical back-up"
very much like the class idea though!

also: id definatley advocate making your own spell list.
my advice: crack ou the srd20 website, and set the druid, cleric, and sorceror/wizard spell list on 3 different tabs.
go through each level by level, and just see what you like the look of, flavourwise. homebrewing your own class with its own "feel" anyway, might as well go the whole nine yards:smallwink: