PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Optimizing a Freebooter Ranger

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-11, 11:05 AM
Here is the Freebooter Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/freebooter).

I can't decide how to go about this: On the one hand, I feel a Shield and Weapon Ranger would do well with this archetype, considering the Freebooter's Bane ability counteracts any TWF penalties you may take, and the additional damage would counteract the weakness of TWF, i.e. low damage/hit.

I also feel Two Handed Style (i.e Power Attack etc.) would mesh well with Dervish Dance and a scimitar, which would be very piratey/freebooter-ish if reflavored as a saber/cutlass.

I also considered a dip into Wizard or taking the Eldritch Heritage feat (Arcane bloodline) to replace my lost Animal Companion with a Monkey Familiar, again, a very piratey/freebooter-ish choice. The monkey could also use wands while perched on my shoulder/running about the battlefield, and my d10 hit die and full BAB would be awesoem for a familiar.

Basically, I like the Freebooter, but it loses the animal companion which is a hefty blow, and I'd like to be able to optimize one to the point that such a loss didn't matter as much.

Any help would be much appreciated!

grarrrg
2012-05-11, 06:36 PM
I can't decide how to go about this: On the one hand, I feel a Shield and Weapon Ranger would do well with this archetype, considering the Freebooter's Bane ability counteracts any TWF penalties you may take, and the additional damage would counteract the weakness of TWF, i.e. low damage/hit.

Freebooter Ranger is a decent archetype, but probably not the best fit for what you have in mind.
Favored Enemy: +2 Attack/Damage per, always on for appropriate enemies
Freebooter's Bane: +1 Attack/Damage per, Move Action per target, 1 Target at a time.

Freebooter works best with a Melee-focused party, for Two-Weapon fighting you are better off picking a different Class/Archetype.

I also feel Two Handed Style (i.e Power Attack etc.) would mesh well with Dervish Dance and a scimitar, which would be very piratey/freebooter-ish if reflavored as a saber/cutlass.

While you can Power Attack with a Scimitar, be aware that you can NOT 2-Hand Power Attack AND get Dex to-hit/damage.
Dervish Dance:"When wielding a scimitar with one hand..."

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-11, 11:40 PM
While you can Power Attack with a Scimitar, be aware that you can NOT 2-Hand Power Attack AND get Dex to-hit/damage.
Dervish Dance:"When wielding a scimitar with one hand..."

Yes, obviously. However, nothing in the two handed combat style says you must use two hands to use the feats. So... i can use Power attack with ONE hand, while using Dervish Dance with ONE hand.

It seems to me that TWF or weapon+shield would be the best way to go with a +5 to hit/damage. Yes, its a move action to use, but your party (which yes, its hopefully melee oriented) benefits as well, and a move action to trigger +5 to hit/damage against a target until its dead or you change targets seems quite useful, especially when fighting a BBEG.

it isnt worth it for what you lose, but there must be something you can do with it to make it at least somewhat optimized.

HalcyonKnight
2014-07-09, 11:37 AM
Yes, obviously. However, nothing in the two handed combat style says you must use two hands to use the feats. So... i can use Power attack with ONE hand, while using Dervish Dance with ONE hand.

It seems to me that TWF or weapon+shield would be the best way to go with a +5 to hit/damage. Yes, its a move action to use, but your party (which yes, its hopefully melee oriented) benefits as well, and a move action to trigger +5 to hit/damage against a target until its dead or you change targets seems quite useful, especially when fighting a BBEG.

it isnt worth it for what you lose, but there must be something you can do with it to make it at least somewhat optimized.

Sorry, but Dervish Dance specifies that you cannot use it if you are carrying any weapon or shield in your off-hand. They worked very hard to make it incompatible with Two-Weapon Fighting. Or with the Sword&Board stereotype for that matter.

My plan with the freebooter is an archer actually. Im not a personal fan of playing pet builds, but my party is stuffed with them (Ill be the only one without an AC/Mount/improved Familiar/whatever) so the group bonuses with no daily limit will be extremely powerful, even if Im not personally flanking anybody.

What Im trying to figure out now is whether I want to be /just/ a Freebooter, or if I want to take a second Archetype. It is compatible with both Skirmisher and with Trapper, and in both cases you sacrifice all casting for daily use tricks of one kind or another. But I dont think I want to give up the casting; even if it wont be that critical to the build, loosing the spell list and with it the ability to use wands and scrolls will hurt.

I also cant decide whether to go human for the extra feat or something elvish (mostly for Stabbing shot, but they have lots of other elf-specific archery stuff). That has less to do with Freebooter than with an Archery Ranger in general, but most of the archery builds assume you'll have an animal companion to take advantage of, so Im struggling to find good comparisons.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-07-09, 03:43 PM
Freebooter is an amazing archetype if dipping Ranger, since you can just slap +1 on anybody and share it with the party. If you plan to go deep into Ranger, it's just a poor option because the Instant Enemy spell exists.

I guess to optimize it...you'd want to reliably get extra move actions, to use the Bane on. Not sure how best to do that in PF, other than dipping Psychic Warrior far enough to get the Hustle power. At least there's some wisdom synergy there, and Half-Giant is a great race for both classes.

weckar
2014-07-09, 03:44 PM
Rise from the grave, my darling. RISE!!!!

grarrrg
2014-07-09, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but Dervish Dance specifies that you cannot use it if you are carrying any weapon or shield in your off-hand. They worked very hard to make it incompatible with Two-Weapon Fighting. Or with the Sword&Board stereotype for that matter.

A: MASSIVE thread-necromancy.
B: He was replying to two different things. The first thing was that there are no "must use X Weapon" restrictions on Ranger Combat feats. Thus you can take the Two-Handed _Combat Style_, select "power attack" as your feat, and it still works just fine with Dervish Dance (but you must use the '1-hand' option bonuses.
The OTHER thing he was replying to was the fact that to get the most of of Freebooter's Bane, you'd be better off with a style that uses/helps Two-Weapon Fighting.