PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Character Design: Regen

SamBurke
2012-05-11, 01:52 PM
So, my player and I (see sig for reference) are playing a fairly high-number game, with the main and only character being a tank. So, recently, in a PM, he challenged me to get a War Troll with the most Regen possible.

Including all sourcebooks (3.5/3.0/PF), AND homebrew. I'll limit the homebrew to this forum, mostly, but still...

How much Regen can I get?

Slipperychicken
2012-05-12, 01:13 AM
Troll-Blooded (feat from Dragon 313 or 319) gives Regen 1. Pretty sure that stacks with existing regen, so you might as well be boosting the normal amount by one.

I know there's a spell somewhere which grants Regeneration.

I recommend looking into Savage Species, and the Monster Manuals. There's got to be a feat for improving regeneration in there.

Acidborn Template (from Dungeonscape) makes you immune to Acid, making our War Troll practically unkillable from hp damage. Now you just need immunity to Nonlethal...

If you don't just mean the specific special quality called Renegeration, Crusaders are good at healing themselves, as are casters with healing spells and Quicken. Wrathful Healing (+3 enchantment, slashing, heals half the damage you deal, don't remember which book) is good for outlasting your opponent in a straight-up slugfest.

Tanuki Tales
2012-05-12, 10:24 PM
Troll-Blooded (feat from Dragon 313 or 319) gives Regen 1. Pretty sure that stacks with existing regen, so you might as well be boosting the normal amount by one.

That feat can only be taken by a human first off and second off, it's a waste of a feat on something already possessing Regeneration since it makes them fatigued in sunlight. Might as well just go with the Rapid Regeneration feat from Tyrants of the Nine Hells.

I know there's a spell somewhere which grants Regeneration.
I think that was a 3.0 spell and again, already has Regen.

I recommend looking into Savage Species, and the Monster Manuals. There's got to be a feat for improving regeneration in there.

Thinking Tyrants of the Nine Hells.

Acidborn Template (from Dungeonscape) makes you immune to Acid, making our War Troll practically unkillable from hp damage. Now you just need immunity to Nonlethal...

Can't be applied to a War Troll.

But if you make them a half-dragon and dip into the Menace Manual from d20 Modern and apply the Boogeyman template you get a sucker immune to damage.

SamBurke
2012-05-12, 11:15 PM
I've never heard of Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Care to enlighten me a bit?

Frog Dragon
2012-05-13, 03:21 AM
It's commonly referred to as "Fiendish Codex II".

JeminiZero
2012-05-13, 09:34 AM
So, my player and I (see sig for reference) are playing a fairly high-number game, with the main and only character being a tank. So, recently, in a PM, he challenged me to get a War Troll with the most Regen possible.

There are 2 things to keep in mind:
1) Regen only applies if you are hit by things that do NOT bypass your regen. To this end, if you want to minimize the things that can KILL you while you have regen, refer to the first link in the spoiler in my sig.

2) For things that do not bypass Regen, it is significantly easier to build around simply IGNORING the non-lethal damage you sustain, than to max out the regen rate. The easiest way is to take the Diehard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#diehard), feat which lets you take standard actions, even when at negative HP. The other way is to somehow get Ferocity ability, which lets you act normally even at negative HP (e.g. Beastland Ferocity spell, were-boar template). The hardest way is to get outright immunity to non-lethal damage (Favor of the Martyr spell, Gheden Template).

SamBurke
2012-05-13, 05:41 PM
It's commonly referred to as "Fiendish Codex II".

Ah. A bit more familiar with that book, yeah. As to regen, thanks Jemini! I don't want to create an invincible character, but for the moment it's merely an optimization mind challenge.

holywhippet
2012-05-13, 06:47 PM
As well as regeneration there's also faster healing. You can get that via a vigor spell but I'm not sure of the best way to get that for repeated use. A command word item maybe?