PDA

View Full Version : 1 Level Dip For Fun and...Fun!

Rubik
2012-05-11, 04:03 PM
I get to ignore racial and alignment prereqs for this, since I can change shape into whatever I want, whenever I want (due to using Fusion on a hagunemnon and then Astral Seed -- this lets me get race and alignment subtypes whenever I need them to qualify for...whatever). Just FYI.

So far my build is society mind 20 (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/society-mind) // Changeling ACF Rogue 1/Factotum 3/Unarmed Swordsage 1/Thrallherd 1/Bard 1/Illithid Savant 3/Sublime Chord 2/Marshal 1/Illithid Savant 7 (essentially gestalted with 44 racial hit dice from the hagunemnon I Fusioned with). I used illithid savant to grab the StP erudite's ability to learn powers and spells, and the metamind's font of power ability (for infinite power points and every non-epic power and spell from every list in the game). My manifester level is somewhere in the hundreds by this point.

Thus, power is NOT an issue.

That first level of rogue is nice for skill points and for taking 10 on social skills, but my skills are already so insanely high that I don't technically need them. Instead, I was wondering what the best and most fun 1-level dip for AWESOME abilities would be. Keep in mind, this is for stuff that's just pure fun.

So in short, if you had enough power to slaughter entire pantheons of gods, what nifty little abilities would you like to grab in exchange for that 1 level of rogue? Can be base class, PrC, or other. Preferably not a template, as I can grab those easy enough using Wish via Savage Species.

I'd like some suggestions.

Thanks!

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-11, 05:00 PM
I get to ignore racial and alignment prereqs for this, since I can change shape into whatever I want, whenever I want (due to using Fusion on a hagunemnon and then Astral Seed -- this lets me get race and alignment subtypes whenever I need them to qualify for...whatever). Just FYI.

So far my build is society mind 20 (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/society-mind) // Changeling ACF Rogue 1/Factotum 3/Unarmed Swordsage 1/Thrallherd 1/Bard 1/Illithid Savant 3/Sublime Chord 2/Marshal 1/Illithid Savant 7 (essentially gestalted with 44 racial hit dice from the hagunemnon I Fusioned with). I used illithid savant to grab the StP erudite's ability to learn powers and spells, and the metamind's font of power ability (for infinite power points and every non-epic power and spell from every list in the game). My manifester level is somewhere in the hundreds by this point.

That first level of rogue is nice for skill points and for taking 10 on social skills, but my skills are already so insanely high that I don't technically need them. Instead, I was wondering what the best and most fun 1-level dip for AWESOME abilities would be. Keep in mind, this is for stuff that's just pure fun.

So in short, if you had enough power to slaughter entire pantheons of gods, what nifty little abilities would you like to grab in exchange for that 1 level of rogue? Can be base class, PrC, or other. Preferably not a template, as I can grab those easy enough using Wish via Savage Species.

Thanks!

If there is ever a point in your 20+-level career where you are hitting things, a Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1 does it better. The exception is if you are taking Goliath Barbarian racial substitution levels, in which case you want to keep the standard rage but still use Lion Totem, which gives you the ability to turn large on a rage (and makes something like War Hulk an option).

Dips in Warblade and Crusader give you more maneuvers, with better recovery mechanics than the Swordsage, and access to all 9 schools in total.

A Dragon Shaman dip gives you auras, some of which can actually be pretty good even at just +1 (at level 1, I'd grab Vigor, Resistance, and something good from Dragon Magic). Same goes for Marshal (if you have an ungodly high CHA, a one-level dip is CHA to any one save, or any one ability score's checks, like, say, CHA to DEX checks for the Initiative bonus), but since you already have the first level, the second level can be worth taking if you use Dragon Magic auras (although Dragon Shaman gets the better of them anyway).

I couldn't tell you about PrC dips very well, but Mindbender is the go-to if you have caster levels to support it.

Rubik
2012-05-12, 10:46 AM
If there is ever a point in your 20+-level career where you are hitting things, a Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1 does it better. The exception is if you are taking Goliath Barbarian racial substitution levels, in which case you want to keep the standard rage but still use Lion Totem, which gives you the ability to turn large on a rage (and makes something like War Hulk an option).

Dips in Warblade and Crusader give you more maneuvers, with better recovery mechanics than the Swordsage, and access to all 9 schools in total.

A Dragon Shaman dip gives you auras, some of which can actually be pretty good even at just +1 (at level 1, I'd grab Vigor, Resistance, and something good from Dragon Magic). Same goes for Marshal (if you have an ungodly high CHA, a one-level dip is CHA to any one save, or any one ability score's checks, like, say, CHA to DEX checks for the Initiative bonus), but since you already have the first level, the second level can be worth taking if you use Dragon Magic auras (although Dragon Shaman gets the better of them anyway).

I couldn't tell you about PrC dips very well, but Mindbender is the go-to if you have caster levels to support it.Heh. I basically have all of that (or better). Thanks for the effort though.

dropdadgbe
2012-05-12, 12:32 PM
I don't know what your WIS score looks like, but maybe Ninja? Sudden Strike is almost as good as Sneak Attack if you feint and/or spam invisibility, and in exchange you get to add your WIS to your AC.

Our Druid took a level of Ninja after she gained access to 9th level spells and was twiddling her thumbs waiting to take epic prestige classes. We ended up house-ruling that for all future games, you could only use as much WIS boost to AC as you take levels in a class granting it. XD

Rubik
2012-05-12, 04:26 PM
My ability scores are as follows (boosted more if I can find more spells to do so): Str 308, Dex 142, Con 146, Int 162, Wis 189, Cha 155.

I also have (without further spells to boost my damage) unarmed strikes that deal around 4k of damage per hit, and a bow that lets me deal somewhere around 3k to every enemy in a line, all the way to the end of my bow's range with no range penalties (per attack action; I can make multiples on a full round attack), and I can spend somewhere between 120 and 200 power points on any (uncapped) pre-epic spell and psionic power from every list in the game. And I can stack somewhere around 60 metapsionic feats on any power I manifest with a couple of psionic focuses (and they don't have a cap to the number of feats you can stack -- so an Empowered Empowered Empowered Empowered...etc Energy Ray will deal a HUGE amount of damage), and with my meta-reducers they cost nothing extra to add on.

That's why I'm wanting a 'fun' ability, rather than something that boosts damage. Slaughtering things is not an issue. Really.

The Rabbler
2012-05-12, 08:26 PM
I suppose this all depends on what you consider fun. Most classes can be called fun because of what they do from a mechanics perspective, but you've already got the ability to absorb any mechanic from any class that exists.

If you're looking for little abilities that could be fun to have lying around, a wizard's cantrips (especially prestidigitation) are plenty fun to play with, but beyond that, all I could really see for you is something like a warlock's shatter-at-will invocation.

Getsugaru
2012-05-12, 09:22 PM
You do realize your build is already past Tier 0 and is approaching Tier -1, a.k.a. Tier "ARE YOU AND/OR YOUR DM COMPLETELY INSANE?!?", right?

HeadlessMermaid
2012-05-12, 09:53 PM
Could someone please explain to me how that works? (I know next to nothing about psionics.) The way I read it, first of all you'd lose a level with Astral Seed. And second, I don't think the hagunemnon's Alter Shape ability changes your type (subtype, race, alignment etc). You only assume a creature's shape, and gain some of its abilities. That shouldn't allow you to bypass race restrictions.

I guess I'm missing something. But what?

The Rabbler
2012-05-13, 12:55 AM
Could someone please explain to me how that works? (I know next to nothing about psionics.) The way I read it, first of all you'd lose a level with Astral Seed. And second, I don't think the hagunemnon's Alter Shape ability changes your type (subtype, race, alignment etc). You only assume a creature's shape, and gain some of its abilities. That shouldn't allow you to bypass race restrictions.

I guess I'm missing something. But what?

I wouldn't dwell on it. The above build is closely shadowing pun-pun (and could actually become pun-pun if so inclined) and even if the exact trick used to reach that level of insanity doesn't work, there are still plenty of other ways to do it.

nedz
2012-05-13, 03:40 AM
What do you buy the man who has everything ?

I mean, I was going to suggest Bard, but it seems you already have that.

I'm tempted to say Monk - just for bragging rights :smallbiggrin:
No other reason than to be able to say "Have you seen my Monk?"

SpellThief maybe ?
Just so you can pinch someone elses cantrips.

The trouble is all of these suggestions are a bit pointless.

Togo
2012-05-13, 05:42 AM
I level dip of marshal (minature's handbook) will allow you and your allies to add your charisma bonus to something. Dex checks and dex-based skill checks, including initiative, is a popular choice.

nedz
2012-05-13, 08:30 AM
I level dip of marshal (minature's handbook) will allow you and your allies to add your charisma bonus to something. Dex checks and dex-based skill checks, including initiative, is a popular choice.

No - He's already got it :smallwink:

How about some LA or a PrC ?

How about Dread Pirate ? Gets you a parot and a wooden leg.

Harry
2012-05-13, 11:11 AM

Thanks!

If I may suggest eat another savants brain then eat a Ardents With magic mantles brain then take a level in tainted scholar and get the ritual of aligenment now you have another source of infinite spells and metamagic if you can reduce the con damage but you seem smart enough to know ways to reduce it yourself and if your looking for fun binders are always fun and get some fun abilities at level 1 you could also take a level in cancer mage and get festering anger for plus 2 str everyday and the other one that gives 1 natural armor everyday so you can eventually throw the universe and be so armored that someone can throw a universe at you without you feeling it:smallbiggrin: hope I helped:smallsmile: ps.your extremely strong anyways just cast ice assassin on a deity and eat its brains and become a god already I mean your half way there anyways

Rubik
2012-05-13, 12:47 PM
I suppose this all depends on what you consider fun. Most classes can be called fun because of what they do from a mechanics perspective, but you've already got the ability to absorb any mechanic from any class that exists.

If you're looking for little abilities that could be fun to have lying around, a wizard's cantrips (especially prestidigitation) are plenty fun to play with, but beyond that, all I could really see for you is something like a warlock's shatter-at-will invocation.Mostly I enjoy using fiddly bits that let me do new things with what I've got, that allow me to think outside the box. Any classes out there that let me do new and funky things with existing magic/psionics options? I thought about geomancer to get massive CL bonuses to my arcane and divine spells, but my CL is rather ludicrous anyway. However, that might just be what I do if I can't find anything with wonkier alterations out there. I'd go with a level in spellwarp sniper, but that only alters my 1st level spells.

Stuff like those, but which affect everything I can do, for preference.

You do realize your build is already past Tier 0 and is approaching Tier -1, a.k.a. Tier "ARE YOU AND/OR YOUR DM COMPLETELY INSANE?!?", right?Oh, definitely. I can curbstomp gods if I feel like it. This is meant to be insanely overpowered, to see what I can do if I put my brainwaves to it. It's half-thought exercise and half-this is what I want to be when I grow up.

I guess I'm missing something. But what?Basically hagunemnons can mix and match up to four nondeific creatures at the same time, and get all of their extraordinary and natural qualities (which likely also lets them assume types and subtypes -- though I have the Polymorph spells, Metamorphosis, and several versions of Shapechange for those as well).

Basically I can be anything I want any time that I want, for as long as I want, and I have a couple of dozen iterations of Metamorphic Transfer to grab Su abilities as well. As a result I can pretty much sidestep various racial and alignment-based prereqs at will.

And as for the negative level, I've got a thought bottle and can restore my xp total at will. Not to mention that anything but permanent levels I can overcome due to the fact that I'm A) an aleax (ie, a construct), and B) my saves are insane.

I level dip of marshal (minature's handbook) will allow you and your allies to add your charisma bonus to something. Dex checks and dex-based skill checks, including initiative, is a popular choice.Have that already. Cha to Int checks, and with factotum 3 I have Int to damned near everything.

If I may suggest eat another savants brain then eat a Ardents With magic mantles brain then take a level in tainted scholar and get the ritual of aligenment now you have another source of infinite spells and metamagic if you can reduce the con damage but you seem smart enough to know ways to reduce it yourself and if your looking for fun binders are always fun and get some fun abilities at level 1 you could also take a level in cancer mage and get festering anger for plus 2 str everyday and the other one that gives 1 natural armor everyday so you can eventually throw the universe and be so armored that someone can throw a universe at you without you feeling it:smallbiggrin: hope I helped:smallsmile: ps.your extremely strong anyways just cast ice assassin on a deity and eat its brains and become a god already I mean your half way there anywaysI have the magic mantle already, and my Wis score is high enough that I don't think I need to worry about taint. Plus I'm Mind-Switched with an aleax of myself (and as such am immune to all forms of attack and damage, except for those I aim at myself), and I'm not sure how taint interacts with constructs anyway. And gods are weaksauce. Who needs 'em?

Gnome Alone
2012-05-13, 01:18 PM
Since you're basically like God's little brother, why not take a level in Commoner out of sarcasm?

Rubik
2012-05-13, 01:20 PM
Since you're basically like God's little brother, why not take a level in Commoner out of sarcasm?I s'pose I could take the Delicious flaw, and then whenever something swallows me whole (a'hyuck) I could play around with my immovable rods...

Harry
2012-05-13, 03:30 PM
Mostly I enjoy using fiddly bits that let me do new things with what I've got, that allow me to think outside the box. Any classes out there that let me do new and funky things with existing magic/psionics options? I thought about geomancer to get massive CL bonuses to my arcane and divine spells, but my CL is rather ludicrous anyway. However, that might just be what I do if I can't find anything with wonkier alterations out there. I'd go with a level in spellwarp sniper, but that only alters my 1st level spells.

Stuff like those, but which affect everything I can do, for preference.

Oh, definitely. I can curbstomp gods if I feel like it. This is meant to be insanely overpowered, to see what I can do if I put my brainwaves to it. It's half-thought exercise and half-this is what I want to be when I grow up.

Basically hagunemnons can mix and match up to four nondeific creatures at the same time, and get all of their extraordinary and natural qualities (which likely also lets them assume types and subtypes -- though I have the Polymorph spells, Metamorphosis, and several versions of Shapechange for those as well).

Basically I can be anything I want any time that I want, for as long as I want, and I have a couple of dozen iterations of Metamorphic Transfer to grab Su abilities as well. As a result I can pretty much sidestep various racial and alignment-based prereqs at will.

And as for the negative level, I've got a thought bottle and can restore my xp total at will. Not to mention that anything but permanent levels I can overcome due to the fact that I'm A) an aleax (ie, a construct), and B) my saves are insane.

Have that already. Cha to Int checks, and with factotum 3 I have Int to damned near everything.

I have the magic mantle already, and my Wis score is high enough that I don't think I need to worry about taint. Plus I'm Mind-Switched with an aleax of myself (and as such am immune to all forms of attack and damage, except for those I aim at myself), and I'm not sure how taint interacts with constructs anyway. And gods are weaksauce. Who needs 'em?

I must disagree a greater god of death bypasses all your immunities and auto kills you and a god of time kills you when you were a baby Not to mention a bard god can make you his butt monkey and considering your chars power level the gods will notice him so a divine rank is needed for....protection :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-05-13, 03:38 PM
Battledancer dip for CHA to AC seems like a great fit.

The Rabbler
2012-05-13, 06:09 PM
Chicken Infested. do it.

I must disagree a greater god of death bypasses all your immunities and auto kills you and a god of time kills you when you were a baby Not to mention a bard god can make you his butt monkey and considering your chars power level the gods will notice him so a divine rank is needed for....protection :smallbiggrin:

That sentence has the Run feat. Twice.

Rubik
2012-05-14, 10:00 AM
I must disagree a greater god of death bypasses all your immunities and auto kills you and a god of time kills you when you were a baby Not to mention a bard god can make you his butt monkey and considering your chars power level the gods will notice him so a divine rank is needed for....protection :smallbiggrin:Actually, I did some fiddling with my race, and started with dvati twin with the Human Heritage feat, then made myself an elan before merging with some hagunemnons and making myself an aleax.

Due to both being an aleax and an elan I'm no longer mortal, so neither Hand of Death nor Life and Death affect me (and the former I'm immune to anyway due to being a construct and immune to Fort saves unless they work on objects).

urandom
2013-04-10, 01:18 PM
How do you stack more than two metapsionic feats? I've looked, but haven't been able to find a way. Closest I've found is arguable linked power to a power with lots of metapsionics attached. Since you are not manifesting the second power (it just goes off) you don't need to expend focus. That's really toeing the line though - since it's arguable that because metapsionic feats can't be applied at all without psionic focus being expended, you can't modify the second power because no one is expending focus.

Flickerdart
2013-04-10, 01:21 PM
You can get two focuses if you have Psicrystal Containment, and a 10th level Ardent with Dominant Ideal doesn't need to expend any focuses at all for his favoured mantle.

Rubik
2013-04-10, 01:41 PM
How do you stack more than two metapsionic feats? I've looked, but haven't been able to find a way. Closest I've found is arguable linked power to a power with lots of metapsionics attached. Since you are not manifesting the second power (it just goes off) you don't need to expend focus. That's really toeing the line though - since it's arguable that because metapsionic feats can't be applied at all without psionic focus being expended, you can't modify the second power because no one is expending focus.You ARE manifesting the second power -- at the same time as the first, since the second is treated as though it's an augmentation of the first power. Thus, any metapsionics you add to the first power are auto-applied to the second (so long as it CAN be affected), but you still have to expend the focus for the first one.

There's an epic feat that allows you to apply multiple metapsionics for a single focus, and ardents get an ACF that allows you to do so as well.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-10, 01:41 PM
Since you're basically like God's little brother, why not take a level in Commoner out of sarcasm?

This. Or Ardent Dilletante to kill yourself out of eventual ennui.

Although I'm not sure what you are meant to do - do levels and XP mean anything?

What monsters do you fight anyway? How does your game work?

urandom
2013-04-10, 02:15 PM
You ARE manifesting the second power -- at the same time as the first, since the second is treated as though it's an augmentation of the first power. Thus, any metapsionics you add to the first power are auto-applied to the second (so long as it CAN be affected), but you still have to expend the focus for the first one.

There's an epic feat that allows you to apply multiple metapsionics for a single focus, and ardents get an ACF that allows you to do so as well.

I didn't know about that feat, thanks. Linked power is a bit ambiguous, but it says that the first power is manifested not altered in any way, and that the power that 'goes off in the next round' is also not altered in any way. It's a metapsionic feat. You are manifesting a power with a metapsionic feat modifying it. The meta psionic feat causes something to happen (a power to go off in the next round). You are not manifesting that power, so any other metapsionic feat you apply would only apply to the first power.

Sith_Happens
2013-04-10, 02:36 PM
I'm tempted to say Monk - just for bragging rights :smallbiggrin:
No other reason than to be able to say "Have you seen my Monk?"

I like this idea.

Urpriest
2013-04-10, 03:14 PM
You need more than one level for it, but I've got an ability you can't get otherwise: Thunder Guide (Eberron Explorer's Handbook) at level 5 gets the ability to give lectures at various universities. As a class feature. When it comes to fun, I don't think you can top that.

Razanir
2013-04-10, 03:18 PM
Commoner + Chicken Infested. That is all.

Randomguy
2013-04-10, 03:32 PM
A level in Binder (especially if you have a spare feat for Improved Binding), Totemist or Incarnate lets you get vestiges or shape souldmelds, which offer all kinds of fun abilities.

A level of Master of the Masks gets you the Gladiator Mask, meaning you get access to all exotic weapons which can do various fun things.

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-10, 03:35 PM
hmm.. gain access to abilities that lets you talk with any creature known...
get a big enough island.. like oceania.. and breed any(every)thing...
"knock knock.. Yes?.. I'd like to purchase a dozen war riding trained tarasques..
ofc sir..."

nedz
2013-04-10, 05:57 PM
I'll tell you what you are manifesting: Thread Necromancy. :smallsmile:

Rubik
2013-04-10, 11:52 PM
This. Or Ardent Dilletante to kill yourself out of eventual ennui.

Although I'm not sure what you are meant to do - do levels and XP mean anything?

What monsters do you fight anyway? How does your game work?Like I said previously, this is part thought-exercise and part this-is-what-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up. Let's say I find a non-evil genie in a bottle and he grants me a few wishes. I print up the character sheet and say, "I want every ability as indicated here."

I also wanted to see just how insanely powerful I could be without going Pun Pun. As it turns out: just about as.

TuggyNE
2013-04-11, 12:20 AM
I also wanted to see just how insanely powerful I could be without going Pun Pun. As it turns out: just about as.

3.5 balance consists of there being multiple independent routes to TRUE ULTIMATE COSMIC POWAH.

gooddragon1
2013-04-11, 05:39 AM
Crusader + White Raven Tactics

Not doing anything with your swift actions? Why not let an ally do an entire round worth of something for it.