PDA

View Full Version : dm monk help?

Harry
2012-05-11, 04:04 PM
Hi all my player is just about to reach 20 level in monk and lever 10 in incantatrix since its gestalt my question playground is what should I replace perfect self with? Consider on the other side of his gestalt he has tainted scholar so the power level of the game is high I don't know what would be strong and match the flavor of monk

The Rabbler
2012-05-11, 05:20 PM
Why would you replace it? The monk capstone is not overtly terrible, especially for a monk//caster gestalt. If the player doesn't want the capstone, there are plenty of other class features from other classes that he(or she) could get.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-11, 05:40 PM
Why would you replace it? The monk capstone is not overtly terrible, especially for a monk//caster gestalt. If the player doesn't want the capstone, there are plenty of other class features from other classes that he(or she) could get.

Well, with the monk capstone, you have two things...

1) Polymorph/Shapechange cheese
2) Can't be raised

One is extremely powerful (although probably par for a wizard 10/Incantatrix 10), the other requires you to come up with a reason for a level 19/20 gestalt character who's wandering alone but isn't averse to joining a group.

Just allow him to count as both a humanoid and an outsider, or take out the change to outsider entirely.

The Rabbler
2012-05-11, 05:50 PM
Well, with the monk capstone, you have two things...

1) Polymorph/Shapechange cheese
2) Can't be raised

One is extremely powerful (although probably par for a wizard 10/Incantatrix 10), the other requires you to come up with a reason for a level 19/20 gestalt character who's wandering alone but isn't averse to joining a group.

Just allow him to count as both a humanoid and an outsider, or take out the change to outsider entirely.

The character is a tainted scholar/incantatrix; polymorph/shapechange cheese is the least of the OP's worries. If he's worried that the character will become too powerful, he's doing it wrong. If he's worried that it isn't good enough to be a capstone, there are plenty of classes that offer powerful 1 level dips to replace it.

I still see no reason to mess with it.

Randomguy
2012-05-11, 06:01 PM
Jiriku's homebrew monk fix has this as a capstone:

Perfect Self (Ex): At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature and her type changes to outsider. When targeted by spells and magical effects that consider her type, she may choose whether to be considered an outsider or a member of her former type, whichever is most advantageous. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 15/chaotic. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

Harry
2012-05-11, 07:27 PM
Jiriku's homebrew monk fix has this as a capstone:

Seems better but I am not sure if that's powerful enough anything else I could add to that?

animewatcha
2012-05-11, 09:31 PM
Got a deity? Deity have domains powers/devotions you like? Hello level 1 dip into cloistered cleric with knowledge devotion ( amongst other things ). Knowledge devotion alone might be worth avoiding perfect self.

Randomguy
2012-05-11, 11:26 PM
Seems better but I am not sure if that's powerful enough anything else I could add to that?

Jiriku's monk gains continuous, always on Foresight as a supernatural ability at level 19. You could add that in.

Or you could just make the capstone to convert to the monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122). That'll make it significantly more powerful.

Harry
2012-05-12, 01:23 AM
Jiriku's monk gains continuous, always on Foresight as a supernatural ability at level 19. You could add that in.

Or you could just make the capstone to convert to the monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122). That'll make it significantly more powerful.

You know I think I'll do that just have the capstone be a fix that's pretty badass:smallsmile: thanks