PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help with spells

arixe
2012-05-11, 05:30 PM
I wanted some help with this i have a player that uses a lot of difficult to deal with spells. he spams enervation and next lvl is going to get geas quest. now can enervation stack? and is the use of enervation evil in its self. and how can i deal with that damn geas spell unless im reading it wrong it lasts indefently and has now saving throw.

Water_Bear
2012-05-11, 05:42 PM
Enervation just gives negative levels, and you can keep hitting someone with Enervation until they drop dead. And then keep hitting them with it. It's a very cathartic spell, and Negative Levels absolutely stack.

It also does not have the [Evil] tag, but killing someone with it is, IMO, somewhat morally dubious; if you aren't careful (decapitation, burning, burial in Consecrated soil, etc.) the body will rise as a Wight. If he's just leaving the bodies lying around that is reckless endangerment / manslaughter as soon as midnight rolls around and the newborn Wights start chewing through their home villages.

arixe
2012-05-11, 05:45 PM
so a character that dies of enervation will turn into a wight? and any advice on the geas quest?

Douglas
2012-05-11, 05:54 PM
Geas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm) has a casting time of 10 minutes, which makes it completely impractical for any kind of combat. It's pretty much useless unless the target is willing or completely at your mercy, in which case it doesn't really matter because you can do whatever you want with the target anyway.

Lesser Geas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasLesser.htm), on the other hand, is usable in combat but also allows a save and has a hit die cap that severely limits its usefulness.

Both spells are limited to 1 day/level duration.

arixe
2012-05-11, 05:56 PM
my core rule book says quest has no saving throw or hd limit im wondering if it has the same duration as geas

Douglas
2012-05-11, 06:01 PM
Oh wait, this is Pathfinder. Let me look up whether they changed anything relevant here... Nope.

Geas, like many other spells, says that it works the same as a particular other spell except for certain specified differences. Duration is not mentioned, and is therefore inherited from the other spell - in this case, Lesser Geas.

Quest is explicitly just a different name for exactly the same spell as Geas.

arixe
2012-05-11, 06:06 PM
ok only lasts a few days that helps. less abuse potential unless he keeps casting and casting and casting it. so would using geas to enslave some one be evil regardless of the targets alignment? and the enervation spell dose it turn people into wights?

Douglas
2012-05-11, 06:16 PM
Using Geas to enslave someone would be exactly as evil as... enslaving someone. Duh. Whether enslaving someone is evil, and especially whether circumstances can change it, is a great moral debate that I don't think this forum is a good place for - it would have great potential for spilling over into topics that are forbidden by the forum rules.

Enervation turning people into wights is actually a specific case of a general rule about people killed by negative levels. In any case, I just checked and that rule was removed in Pathfinder. So no, in Pathfinder games Enervation cannot turn people into wights.

arixe
2012-05-11, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the help. sorry for the stupid questions. hes a handful of a player