PDA

View Full Version : Truenamer Capstone

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-11, 05:43 PM
A random question I thought up when reading the Truenamer's level 20 capstone. If a true namer's true namer was something like Geshtuaruano or some other random gibberish with the phrase "No" in it would they be able to make their true nickname "No"?

And then if they did would they be able to teleport to anyone who ever says the word no?

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-11, 05:53 PM
A random question I thought up when reading the Truenamer's level 20 capstone. If a true namer's true namer was something like Geshtuaruano or some other random gibberish with the phrase "No" in it would they be able to make their true nickname "No"?

And then if they did would they be able to teleport to anyone who ever says the word no?

Thats how I read the text. But I imagine at some point someone would realize he would come at their call and ready themselves in some fashion.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-11, 05:58 PM

Yes - you can think of the Truenamer's nickname as a safe word. The more specific it is, the less likely it is to be called out in casual, everyday conversation (or by passerby or onlookers), but you can also have a LOT of fun from the confusion and misunderstandings caused by making it something you hear often or even accidentally as a part of speech, like "no" or, better yet, "yes". :smallcool:

Morph Bark
2012-05-11, 06:10 PM
Someone has been reading Goblins, eh?

But yes, this is true. This can cause some hilarious situations if your nickname is "yes yes yes".

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-11, 06:11 PM
Wow, thats really strong. And that can even be used to ambush the BBEG. If you know who it is anyway. Because the ability lets you know who is saying your nick name.

Now I have a funny mental scenario where a true namer has his nickname be "what" the BBEG says "What" and then the true namer pops in and attacks him (Probably be gating something in). Then he has his allies just call him back 1 round later. BBEG fights the gated creature and then turns to his advisors and says "What was that?!?!". Rinse and repeat about 10 times :smalltongue:

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-11, 06:18 PM
Wow, thats really strong. And that can even be used to ambush the BBEG. If you know who it is anyway. Because the ability lets you know who is saying your nick name.

Now I have a funny mental scenario where a true namer has his nickname be "what" the BBEG says "What" and then the true namer pops in and attacks him (Probably be gating something in). Then he has his allies just call him back 1 round later. BBEG fights the gated creature and then turns to his advisors and says "What was that?!?!". Rinse and repeat about 10 times :smalltongue:

By the 3rd time, someones going to be waiting on you I'm sure... Besides, how is a truenamer going to do that much damage with half an action? He is a truenamer after all... Knock him out with nonlethal damage? Try to bypass his AC everytime he says what?

Douglas
2012-05-11, 06:26 PM
By the 3rd time, someones going to be waiting on you I'm sure... Besides, how is a truenamer going to do that much damage with half an action? He is a truenamer after all... Knock him out with nonlethal damage? Try to bypass his AC everytime he says what?
We're talking about a level 20 Truenamer - one that's past the point where the class jumps straight from "brokenly underpowered" to "brokenly overpowered" by getting Gate.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-11, 06:29 PM
We're talking about a level 20 Truenamer - one that's past the point where the class jumps straight from "brokenly underpowered" to "brokenly overpowered" by getting Gate.

So open a gate and summon a solar in half a turn on the notice that someone in the world you think may be evil said what. Thats... crazy.:smalleek:

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-11, 06:33 PM
So open a gate and summon a solar in half a turn on the notice that someone in the world you think may be evil said what. Thats... crazy.:smalleek:

I'm picturing this whole vicious cycle beginning with a snail-mailed letter to the BBEG's keep which reads "a Homo Habilus just discovering his opposable thumbs says what?"

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-11, 06:48 PM

I am now thinking of a Truenamer BBEG who went insane and his true nickname has the phrase "I am Evil" so that anyone who ever says that phrase he teleports to them and gates in something to kill them. Essentially deluding himself into thinking he isn't evil even though its in his true name.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-11, 07:06 PM
I am now thinking of a Truenamer BBEG who went insane and his true nickname has the phrase "I am Evil" so that anyone who ever says that phrase he teleports to them and gates in something to kill them. Essentially deluding himself into thinking he isn't evil even though its in his true name.

Actually, wouldn't this Truenamer BBEG be the best BBGG around? Anybody who openly confesses to being evil--by saying the words "I am Evil" in sequence--teleports in the equivalent of an Inevitable whose condition for retribution is "killing people who confess to being evil", who then unleashes the divine smackdown upon the offender for confessing to being evil. It sounds like this insane Truenamer would be the ultimate agent for divine retribution, although probably no less of a nutter.

Steward
2012-05-11, 07:14 PM
Actually, wouldn't this Truenamer BBEG be the best BBGG around? Anybody who openly confesses to being evil--by saying the words "I am Evil" in sequence--teleports in the equivalent of an Inevitable whose condition for retribution is "killing people who confess to being evil", who then unleashes the divine smackdown upon the offender for confessing to being evil. It sounds like this insane Truenamer would be the ultimate agent for divine retribution, although probably no less of a nutter.

It seems that he would disproportionately target bad guys in therapy or people who are otherwise trying to mend their ways. (The whole, "first step to recovery is admitting what you've done wrong" thing). That's the main scenario I can imagine someone just saying 'I am evil' like that, outside of really cliche villain dialogue.

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-11, 07:51 PM

Oh it would definitely kill a bunch of evil people, often those making condescending speeches to good adventurers.

But it would be rather indiscriminat. He would kill any actor playing a villain who says that. Any child who is playing cops and robbers. There are many people who say "I am evil" that are either joking or not truly evil.

Of course your point of view would be his reasoning on why he is doing it :smalltongue:

Lonely Tylenol
2012-05-11, 07:55 PM
It seems that he would disproportionately target bad guys in therapy or people who are otherwise trying to mend their ways. (The whole, "first step to recovery is admitting what you've done wrong" thing). That's the main scenario I can imagine someone just saying 'I am evil' like that, outside of really cliche villain dialogue.

Oh it would definitely kill a bunch of evil people, often those making condescending speeches to good adventurers.

But it would be rather indiscriminat. He would kill any actor playing a villain who says that. Any child who is playing cops and robbers. There are many people who say "I am evil" that are either joking or not truly evil.

Of course your point of view would be his reasoning on why he is doing it :smalltongue:

Oh.

I like it. :smallamused:

Steward
2012-05-11, 08:48 PM
Well, just don't make your truename nickname 'Chrestomanci'. You'd be surprised at how easily that can be abused by your enemies.

tyckspoon
2012-05-11, 10:18 PM
I don't *think* you can accidentally Say My Name.. somebody, because you aren't supposed to be able to accidentally perform any Truenaming.. but then, you're supposed to need special training to do any correct Truenaming at all, and anybody the Truenamer teaches his nickname to can say it correctly without Truename training. So.

doko239
2012-05-12, 02:02 AM
This is simple.

What's the one thing the BBEG is almost certain to be obsessing over? Why, the Magical Macguffin of World-Enslaving, of course! So, just name yourself after it, and away you go!

Come to think of it, that could be an epic plot twist, having a level 20 NPC Truenamer guarding the Macguffin, who just utterly annihilates anyone that dares to speak its name...

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-12, 12:54 PM
I don't *think* you can accidentally Say My Name.. somebody, because you aren't supposed to be able to accidentally perform any Truenaming.. but then, you're supposed to need special training to do any correct Truenaming at all, and anybody the Truenamer teaches his nickname to can say it correctly without Truename training. So.

It's not actually true naming though. Its just a one or two syllable phrase. So granted I am evil is probably a bit too long for it but no or the other suggestions would work.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-12, 12:55 PM
It's not actually true naming though. Its just a one or two syllable phrase. So granted I am evil is probably a bit too long for it but no or the other suggestions would work.

Just use vowels. See if the worlds evils can go without saying "i" or "e". Btw, wouldn't you go insane from knowing everyone using that commonly used syllable?

Roguenewb
2012-05-12, 01:01 PM
While this would be fun, but I think it takes a lot of work to set your truename to what you want. But it would be cool if you were a truenamer who hit level 20, and discovered that your name "happened" to be same nickname as the MacGuffin. Then he feels "called" to defend it by power of coincidence.

However, in a real game, I wouldn't let players set a truename, especially not to any real words.

TuggyNE
2012-05-12, 03:50 PM
While this would be fun, but I think it takes a lot of work to set your truename to what you want.

Sure, but a Truenamer 20 can just get a Solar to miracle his truename to be whatever he wants. :smalltongue: (Ritual of renaming is a Clr 8 spell....)

So, a lot of work? Not really, just hit the DC for conjuctive gate.

Silva Stormrage
2012-05-12, 04:29 PM
Sure, but a Truenamer 20 can just get a Solar to miracle his truename to be whatever he wants. :smalltongue: (Ritual of renaming is a Clr 8 spell....)

So, a lot of work? Not really, just hit the DC for conjuctive gate.

Oh god I didn't think of that. That is AWESOME :smalltongue:

Answerer
2012-05-12, 05:10 PM
"Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you, ************, say 'what' one more ******* time!"

NM020110
2012-05-12, 05:26 PM
Player: So my character's truename is "eOrc'thrl sXotWy"?
DM: Yes.
Player: Hmmm...I think that I'll make my true nickname " ".
DM: What now?
Player: " ", a single space. A pause in speech.
DM: Ummm...ok, then...

<later>
DM: Commoner #5912732 says your true nickname. Do you respond?
Player: No.
DM: Evil Wizardington #3532 says your true nickname. Do you respond?
Player: I activate my capstone, and teleport to Evil Wizardington #3532.

TuggyNE
2012-05-12, 06:28 PM
Player: So my character's truename is "eOrc'thrl sXotWy"?
DM: Yes.
Player: Hmmm...I think that I'll make my true nickname " ".
DM: What now?
Player: " ", a single space. A pause in speech.
DM: Ummm...ok, then...

<later>
DM: Commoner #5912732 says your true nickname. Do you respond?
Player: No.
DM: Evil Wizardington #3532 says your true nickname. Do you respond?
Player: I activate my capstone, and teleport to Evil Wizardington #3532.

Laughing so hard right now. :smallbiggrin:

Obviously, this is best used with a character who does not eat or sleep, and can handle continuous annoyance on a grand scale (a warforged?).

doko239
2012-05-13, 01:02 AM
Actually, I just read the entry about the Truenamer Capstone. Here it is verbatim:

Say My Name and I Am There (Su): At 20th level, you develop a truename - not your personal truename, but a sort of true nickname - that is invested with cosmic power such that others who speak it can conjure you forth. Whenever someone successfully says this truename, you can appear at that creature's location as if taken there by a word of recall spell. You know who is saying your truename, and you can choose not to be transported if you wish. The nickname is often one or two syllables taken from your personal truename. A creature speaking your true nickname need not make a Truespeak check to do so.

Most truenamers with this ability teach the truename to their friends and allies so they can be called when needed.

I've bolded the relevant part. RAW, the True Nickname does not have to be part of your truename, that's merely a suggestion.

This means that regardless of what your Truename is, you can make your True Nickname whatever you want.

Mine's Waffles. Think about it; odds are, Evil McBadguy is eventually gonna eat breakfast, right? and then WHAM

Other suggestions for catching the badguy in a compromising situation: "Toilet", "Prostate", "Hangover", or "Chug"

Venger
2012-05-13, 01:28 AM
Actually, I just read the entry about the Truenamer Capstone. Here it is verbatim:

I've bolded the relevant part. RAW, the True Nickname does not have to be part of your truename, that's merely a suggestion.

This means that regardless of what your Truename is, you can make your True Nickname whatever you want.

Mine's Waffles. Think about it; odds are, Evil McBadguy is eventually gonna eat breakfast, right? and then WHAM

Other suggestions for catching the badguy in a compromising situation: "Toilet", "Prostate", "Hangover", or "Chug"

"help" would be a useful one. you could find innocents in need, or bad guys on their last legs in relatively equal proportion.

TuggyNE
2012-05-13, 02:00 AM

Not very effective against undead BBEGs, though, or even elans or similar.

On the other hand, most bad guys have a thing for saying "mine", so I'd go with that. :smalltongue:

demigodus
2012-05-13, 03:24 AM

We are talking about a character who potentially is one of the most intelligent, and knowledgeable people in existence, who spent 20 levels adventuring as a Truenamer. I don't think a character can hit Truenamer 20 without being crazy.

Venger
2012-05-13, 09:27 AM
Not very effective against undead BBEGs, though, or even elans or similar.

On the other hand, most bad guys have a thing for saying "mine", so I'd go with that. :smalltongue:

you'd find yourself in quarries surrounded by dwarves rather often.

Water_Bear
2012-05-13, 09:47 AM
"help" would be a useful one. you could find innocents in need, or bad guys on their last legs in relatively equal proportion.

Yeah, but when you arrived to help you'd still be a Truenamer. There is a reason there isn't such a thing as the Aquaman-signal. :smalltongue:

But yeah, if I were a Truenamer I would make the most of my limited powers by making my nickname a phrase in High Infernal from Fiendish Codex II, like their version of 'the.' That way you can reliably ambush about 1/3rd of the Archfiends in existence without worrying about collateral damage, as only Unique Devils can speak it.

Answerer
2012-05-13, 09:56 AM
Yeah, but when you arrived to help you'd still be a Truenamer. There is a reason there isn't such a thing as the Aquaman-signal. :smalltongue:
Nono. This is a Truenamer 20. That makes all the difference: at 20, they can cast Gate at will. They are no longer anything like weak at 20.

But yeah, if I were a Truenamer I would make the most of my limited powers by making my nickname a phrase in High Infernal from Fiendish Codex II, like their version of 'the.' That way you can reliably ambush about 1/3rd of the Archfiends in existence without worrying about collateral damage, as only Unique Devils can speak it.
You don't have to teleport to whoever says it, and you get to know a bit about the person saying it, so that's not really a huge concern.

Steward
2012-05-13, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but when you arrived to help you'd still be a Truenamer. There is a reason there isn't such a thing as the Aquaman-signal.

Truenamers suck, but they're not completely useless. You almost certainly have conjunctive gate, and depending on your build and what happened earlier that day it's even possible that your other utterances might still be functioning.