PDA

View Full Version : Even more potent 3.5 wizard (Call me nuts)

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 06:27 PM
The Mage: (Wizard redesigned for Primordials Campaign Setting)

Hit Dice: D4
Skills: 2+Int Mod (x4 at level 1st).
Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (any) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (n/a), and Spellcraft (Int).

Table:{table]Level|BAB|FS|RS|WS|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th |6th|7th|8th|9th
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Scribe Scroll, Familiar|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Metamagic Feat|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3|+1|+1|+1|+3|High Arcana|6|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Familiar|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Metamagic Feat|7|5|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
6|+3|+2|+2|+5|High Arcana|7|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Permanent Arcane Sight|8|6|5|3|1|-|-|-|-|-
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Metamagic Feat|8|6|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|High Arcana|9|6|6|5|3|1|-|-|-|-
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Efficient Metamagic|9|6|6|6|4|2|-|-|-|-
11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Metamagic Feat|9|6|6|6|5|3|1|-|-|-
12|+6|+4|+4|+8|High Arcana|9|6|6|6|5|4|2|-|-|-
13|+6|+4|+4|+8|Levitation|9|6|6|6|5|5|3|1|-|-
14|+7|+4|+4|+9|Metamagic Feat|9|6|6|6|5|5|4|2|-|-
15|+7|+5|+5|+9|High Arcana|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|3|1|-
16|+8|+5|+5|+10|???? Familiar|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|4|2|-
17|+8|+5|+5|+10|Metamagic Feat|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|4|3|1
18|+9|+6|+6|+11|High Arcana|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|4|4|2
19|+9|+6|+6|+11|Efficient Metamagic|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|4|4|3
20|+10|+6|+6|+12|Arcane Mastery|9|6|6|6|5|5|5|4|4|4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Staves, daggers, clubs, short sword, short spears, javelins, light mace, crossbow, shortbow, heavy crossbow, Darts and slings. No armors or shields.
Scribe Scroll: This represents the Wizards ability to add spells to their spell book, make scrolls, and copy scrolls into their spell book.
Spells: See Wizard. The Mage gains double the normal number of spells known, and bonus spells from a high intelligence score.
Familiar: The Mage has a slightly wider selection when picking a familiar than a normal wizard: Dog (+3 on Diplomacy Checks), Scorpion (+3 Intimidate), Spider (+1 Natural Armor).
Metamagic Feat: The Mage gains a free Metamagic Feat for which it already qualifies.
High Arcana: Abilities specific to this class. These abilities may not be used in conjunction with the abilities or spells of any other class. See list.
Permanent Arcane Sight: As the spell Arcane Sight.
Improved Familiar: As the Feat.
Efficient Metamagic: Metamagic feats take up a spell slot one level lower.
Levitation: When they choose to mages do not touch the floor. This does not prevent them from moving normally, though they do not truly need to walk, they merely float an inch above the floor, making it impossible for them to set off floor based traps.
???? Familiar: The Mage gains an additional familiar as though level 6. The original Familiar also gains the benefits of a template of the mage's choosing from the following list: Celestial, Fiendish, Spellstitched.
The New familiar may be from any Familiar List: Dragon, Improved, or others at your DMs discretion.
Arcane Mastery: You may caste any counterspells you know without the need to cast them normally. Instead they may be cast as a swift action, even on another's turn. You may only use this ability once per round. These spells incluse Lesser Dispel Magic, Dispel Magic, and Greater Dispel Magic.

High Arcana List:{table]Caster Level +1
Additional Spells Known (Equal to Intelligence Slot)
Universal Spell Slot (Spell Slot usable as a spellslot of any level up to 9th.)
Overcast (You may use lower level spell slots in order to cast higher level spells. These spell slots must total double the level of the spell being cast.)
Arcane Fire You may sacrifice a spell slot in order to deal typeless damage equal to 2d4 times the level of the spell slot. (0th level spells count as 1/2 spell level). This may be taken multiple times, its effects stack. Thus taking this feat twice increases the damage to 4d4.
Reshaping Mastery When you cast a spell that has a shape such as radius, cone, or line you may change it for one of the other shapes if you so desire.
Spell Distance When you cast a spell with a limited distance you may double its range by sacrificing another spell slot of the same level as though casting it twice.
Alien Magic You may select one spell from another arcane class that is not on your classes spell list. You may then cast this spell as a member of that class. The spell uses a spell slot 3 levels higher than normal.
Shaping Mastery: You may pick and choose where a spell with an area effect hits. This means you may choose to reshape a fireball spell into an X if you so desire.
Summoning Mastery Your summoning spells have a doubled duration, and all summoned creatures gain an additional +2 to all attributes and natural armor. This includes any future familiars, or animal companions.
Scroll and Wand Mastery Any items you create may have their effects and bonuses improved by any metamagic feats you know. This means you may create a Wand of Empowered Fireballs.
Spell Resistance: You gain an innate ability to instinctively counter any spells that would effect you without thought. You gain Spell Resistance equal to 5+Caster Level.[/table]

Steward
2012-05-11, 07:01 PM
So, with Overcast, you can use up a 2nd and a 3rd level spell slot to cast a 5th-level spell, for example?

As far as the power level goes, I'm assuming that this is for a really high-powered campaign setting or something.

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 07:06 PM
Double. So... 2 2nd, and two 3rd level spell slots.

Yes, it's very high powered.

In example, the CR 1 Kobold for this campaign setting would probably be considered closer to CR 4 in standard D&D.

The CR 2 Spider would be a real pain, since can cast the Web spell 3 times a day.

The Goblins are extremely clever.

The Dragons are as old as 200 thousand years, over which time they continue to grow in power.

The Clerics can spontaneously cast their domain spells as they can their cure/cause spells.

The Paladins have a /round lay on hands that heals an amount equal to their charisma score.

etc.

Rallicus
2012-05-11, 07:21 PM
Actually seems like a well-thought out class for a high powered campaign.

Although Overcast scared me at first. I initially thought you could sacrifice all your cantrips for a 9th level spell. Then I thought you could sacrifice spell slots and cast a spell from the equal amount. When I realized it was 2x the amount, I wasn't so flabbergasted.

Good job, I like it. :smallbiggrin:

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 07:25 PM
I have another class to replace sorcerer that I designed for the standard campaign setting. The Corporimancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12523404#post12523404). It deals with sacrificing health for the ability to cast spells, and being able to heal by sacrificing Con. Have a look. The only feedback I've heard is that its a Tier 1 balanced as a Tier 3 or 4. Which I think is Awesome, since I've never heard of anything like that before.

Steward
2012-05-11, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I totally misread that, my bad.

It looks all good to me too. It would be completely unacceptable in a standard campaign but for what it is it's written extremely well and still keeps the wizard / archmage 'feel'.

The Paladins have a /round lay on hands that heals an amount equal to their charisma score.

Honestly, I would be good with this one even in a moderately-powered game.

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 07:35 PM
Yeah, me too. Had a DM that allowed it. It turned out to be completely balanced. But those are just examples, of one thing from each of those classes.

My Druids get Legendary Animal companions automatically at level 12.

Rallicus
2012-05-11, 07:36 PM
It deals with sacrificing health for the ability to cast spells, and being able to heal by sacrificing Con.

Man, I don't know if I'm tired or what, but I initially read that as "it deals with sacrificing teeth."

I'm very off today, haha.

Since I'm leaving soon I don't have a lot of time to look it over, but a cursory read through and it seems pretty cool as well. An interesting take on a blood mage.

Do your fellow players make the other classes for this campaign? Seems like a lot of thought goes into it.

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 07:37 PM
Nah, I do it myself. It's rather easy. At least, easier than it looks. I have a good muse.

toapat
2012-05-11, 07:45 PM
I want to see your paladin rebuild, what do they get? fusion smiting?

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 07:58 PM
Better abilities. Charisma mod added to their paladin level for determining their cohort's abilities/hit dice. Special Cohort Options. Remove Disease as a SU.
Good Aligned Weapon.This weapon will always strike
true against evil foes. The weapon is
treated as having a +1 enhancement bonus
for the purpose of bypassing the damage
reduction of evil creatures or striking evil
incorporeal creatures (though the spell
doesn’t grant an actual enhancement
bonus). The weapon also becomes good,
which means it can bypass the damage
reduction of certain creatures, particularly
evil outsiders. (This effect overrides and
suppresses any other alignment the
weapon might have.) Individual arrows or
bolts can be transmuted, but affected
projectile weapons (such as bows) don’t
confer the benefit to the projectiles they
shoot.
In addition, all critical hit rolls against
evil foes are automatically successful, so
every threat is a critical hit.
Turn Outsiders.
Permanent Positive Energy Aura (Damages undead, and weakens evil/undead.)
Permanent Discern Lies.
Immunity to Ability Drain/damage.
Immunity to unwanted enchantments. Including polymorphs, mind effects, and curses.
Permanent Smite Evil.
Aura of turning.

I'll just write it up on here and show you.

toapat
2012-05-11, 08:01 PM
that is really nice. Good aligned weapon should upgrade into Perma Holy Sword then turn the weapon into a Holy Avenger

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 08:31 PM
Holy Weapon makes the weapon a Holy Avenger actually. The Paladin spell cast on any weapon makes it one. Funny, isn't it?
Difference is this class gets that as a class ability. Any weapon held (even if its a table leg).

toapat
2012-05-11, 08:57 PM
Holy Weapon makes the weapon a Holy Avenger actually. The Paladin spell cast on any weapon makes it one. Funny, isn't it?
Difference is this class gets that as a class ability. Any weapon held (even if its a table leg).

it doesnt get the dispel 1/round that the Avenger does

Ralasha
2012-05-11, 09:36 PM
Paladin Paramount (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13215003#post13215003) is what you were asking to see. I think it's probably around tier -3.

thedarkstone
2012-05-27, 04:29 PM
Arcane Fire is too OP, even for an OP campaign. Assuming I select it for every High Arcana, I could sacrifice spells for 12d4 points of damage for each spell level sacrificed.

BUT WAIT. There's more. I could also, upon reaching epic level, gain the feat Improved Spell Capacity. For those unfamiliar, this allows you to have spell slots of higher level than 9th. Theoretically, were you able to increase your intelligence to, oh, say, 100, then you would have access to one 45th level spell slot. That gives you the potential for 540d4 points of damage on one foe, or 1050 on average. And you have more spell slots in a descending manner. So, that is massive tracts of damage to everyone.

And that isn't even including if Quicken Spell still works with this ability. I could potentially use Automatic Quicken Spell and Multispell together to maximize my damage output somewhere around 10000. Terrifying, isn't it? And that's only what I thought of at first glance.