PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Tiamat

arixe
2012-05-11, 06:50 PM
ok so my campaign im using tiamat and her cult as an antagonist. so my players have to stop five different dragon cults and then ultimetly either face tiamat or her avatar or something to that effect. any advice would be very helpful?

Invader
2012-05-11, 07:02 PM
There's the old standby "The Cult of the Dragon" who believe that dracolichs will rule Faerun someday.

Ravens_cry
2012-05-11, 07:02 PM
Use capital letters more?:smallsigh:
The basic idea sounds good, lots of draconic goodness, and there is enough dragons, dragon like beings, things related to dragons and things that worship dragons to keep things varied.
You might want to see about importing from 3.5 the Spawn of Tiamat monsters.

Waker
2012-05-11, 07:03 PM
That is something of an open-ended question. Do you need advice on running Tiamat herself? Did you need help coming up with antagonists/mooks and the strategies they would use?
Also you have to tell us what level your party is and how long you plan on running the campaign ie. 1 to 20 levels or a shorter 5 to 10 levels. Knowing the party makeup might also impact advice given.

Invader
2012-05-11, 07:05 PM
The Cult of the Dragon Below worship the dragon Kyber from Ebberon

AslanCross
2012-05-11, 07:05 PM
Red Hand of Doom is a good starting point. Even if you don't want to use the adventure, you can take a good number of cues for the battles, organizations, and general flavor of the campaign.

arixe
2012-05-11, 07:19 PM
Sorry for my awful grammar I'll work on it. Also sorry about the lack of info. so my players are all around lvl 10 right now I'm aming for lvl 20 . Mostly id like help designing the final fight with Tiamat. im aware that she has five heads so dose she gets five initiative spots or would she get to make five full round actions.

Invader
2012-05-11, 07:28 PM
Sorry for my awful grammar I'll work on it. Also sorry about the lack of info. so my players are all around lvl 10 right now I'm aming for lvl 20 . Mostly id like help designing the final fight with Tiamat. im aware that she has five heads so dose she gets five initiative spots or would she get to make five full round actions.

I think generally she takes all of her actions on 1 initiative but all 5 heads would get a full attack and she gets her regular move action. (I think)

Edit* I read somewhere that her heads have declining initiatives +45, +40, +35 etc. There's also some crazy loopholes you have to go through to actually kill her. Are you planning on having them fight the actual goddess or an aspect of Tiamat? Fighting an actual god is a really huge undertaking plus I think she's a CR 25 so 4 level 20's wont come close imo.

doko239
2012-05-11, 07:58 PM
As an idea, how about you make the 5 cults scalar? Figure out where you want the party to be at the end of each episode, and create multiple versions of each cult depending on what the APL is when they start dealing with it. This way your players have more freedom in how they go about things, in that they can deal with each cult in whatever order they choose.

A more ambitious plan would be to take a page out of Red Hand of Doom's book and have a timeline for each cult's plans; depending on which cult they take on when, and how long each takes them, the others progress according to their own timetable. Could make for a very dynamic and interactive game.

AslanCross
2012-05-11, 08:03 PM
Tiamat in Deities and Demigods is a Divine Rank 10 Lesser Deity. She has one of the most powerful Salient Divine Abilities (Alter Reality), and her full attack is 5 bites +70 (4d6+19) and 2 wings +65 (2d8+9) and sting +65 (3d6+9) plus poison.

She doesn't have stats in Forgotten Realms: Faiths and Pantheons, but I'd judge her to be about the same level (still a lesser deity).

And then there's this one: http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Tiamat,_Great-Great-Great_Wyrm_Polychromatic_Dragon

But yeah, the idea is the same. It's very difficult to kill something that has Divine Ranks if you don't already have Divine Ranks.

Invader
2012-05-11, 08:07 PM
Or perhaps a cult devoted to each one of her 5 heads and for every one they defeat they get the artifact or or piece of artifact that is a key in being able to defeat her.

arixe
2012-05-11, 08:16 PM
i did make the cult split into five separate parts. the already foiled the white one. im probably going to make it an aspect around 23-25 cr. would she have five different spell lists for each head or just one. and how high would her caster lvl be.

AslanCross
2012-05-11, 08:24 PM
She only needs one spell list, because I think being able to cast spells is a huge enough ability. Being able to cast 5x a turn is a bit overpowered even by epic standards, IMO.

For comparison, a Solar (CR 23) casts spells as a Lv 20 cleric. It still has abilities that allow it to screw with action economy so that it doesn't just get mobbed (Its Dancing Greatsword and its Slaying Arrows allow for simultaneous ranged and melee attacks, then there's Blade Barrier for continuous damage and cover).

Invader
2012-05-11, 08:25 PM
i did make the cult split into five separate parts. the already foiled the white one. im probably going to make it an aspect around 23-25 cr. would she have five different spell lists for each head or just one. and how high would her caster lvl be.

Edit*

Didn't realize this violated the forums rules so I removed it :smallbiggrin:

arixe
2012-05-11, 08:32 PM
Thanks every one. I'm very grateful for all the help. Hopefully all my players arnt annihilated haha.

Invader
2012-05-11, 08:35 PM
Thanks every one. I'm very grateful for all the help. Hopefully all my players arnt annihilated haha.

If you're going with the stats from the book I'd def give them 5 epic levels if not a few more. A party without epic spell casting/feats/etc. won't stand a chance against a CR 25 deity :smallbiggrin:

arixe
2012-05-11, 08:48 PM
If you're going with the stats from the book I'd def give them 5 epic levels if not a few more. A party without epic spell casting/feats/etc. won't stand a chance against a CR 25 deity :smallbiggrin:

ill take it into consideration. i havent seen much on epic anything in pathfinder.

Calanon
2012-05-11, 09:16 PM
Anyone want to take a crack at making an Optimized Tiamat since the one in Deities and Demigods is fairly disappointing... *Looks at Multiple Heads*... Yes that ability makes sense right? :smalltongue: