PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a cleric.

Talya
2012-05-11, 07:37 PM
Let me get this out of the way: I don't like playing clerics. I don't dislike them in my party. I have no use for playing them. I don't like their style of play at all. They are ... boring.

And now I'm about to play one. In conjunction with several other characters I have, anyway. So it won't be boring.

So, my other characters and the game concept are detailed in THIS thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242096

So...rather than limiting to "priest of Thor" as I stated in the thread, I'm thinking, maybe...priest of a pantheon. Fits more with their style.

What domains (from those available to the norse pantheon, anyway) would you pick to complement that party? And what feats and style would you go on that cleric?

Waker
2012-05-11, 07:58 PM
Well, I know you said you don't care for clerics too much, but what exactly do you want to accomplish with the character? Obviously as a tier 1 class it can do just about anything, but if you dislike so much it may be possible to substitute it for a class that is a bit more palatable.

Ranting Fool
2012-05-11, 08:10 PM
Well, I know you said you don't care for clerics too much, but what exactly do you want to accomplish with the character? Obviously as a tier 1 class it can do just about anything, but if you dislike so much it may be possible to substitute it for a class that is a bit more palatable.

+1

Want it to be a group buffing cleric?
Bashing Undead?
Self buffing then smacking people with holy might?
Healbot?

I'm sure there are other common types but those 4 are what I see most often.

Talya
2012-05-12, 05:49 AM
Apart from bashing undead, it needs to do all of those - buff party, smash stuff, and heal wounds (likely after the fact.)

It's a viking priest in an untamed wilderness.

Kol Korran
2012-05-12, 06:21 AM
i actually like clerics, not for their "OMG, a smashing super buffed monster" feel but rather for the roleplay possibilities- ethical/ moral/ religious questions, affecting community and so on. my own personal preference.

Domains: (i'm unsure what the pantheon grants, but trying to go with the feel)
War: solid thematic choice, grants you easy access to a martial weapon, and the spell selection is decent, especially at high levels.
Travel: not sure it's granted, but if so- has lots of nice useful spells, and it's special ability is a life saver. might be thematic for wandering tribes?
Family: (SpC) not that great spells, but good protective special powers (+4 dodge AC to all allies? not bad)
Strength: seems like an obvious choice, very good combat oriented domain, special force lousy at first levels, but might be nice at higher ones.
Courage: (SpC) great if you face lots of fear effect, sort of ok if not. but very very thematic.

Feats:
not exactly my great deparment, but i always found that Divine Power (expend a turning effect to potentially increase your CL, CoD) has served me very well. it has many uses, from increasing duration, increasing effects dependent on level and so on. it have served me well since the beginning of the adventuring career to it's end (though i only played as high as 14th level)

another route would be Extend spell > Persist spell > DMM persist, but it's take a long time for it to pay off, usually requires domains and/ or feats and/ or night sticks to make it worthwhile. oh, and the DM not throwing their books at you, some consider it cheesy.

General tactics:
- cloistered cleric is the better choice mechanically (skills and knowledge devotion for free) but it doesn't seem to fit the theme of norse god cleric. as such you're going to be skill hungry and feat hungry. don't forget 5 ranks in religion for the synergy. i suggest to put the rest in spell craft (which is always useful, though perhaps the artificer and bard can cover that) and if you do take the travel domain then survival all the way. this sounds like a high wilderness campaign, you're going to need it, and it fits well with the theme of "guiding priest" theme

- heavy armor, possibly heavy shield (though not a must), decent beat stick, and you MUST get some healing wand such as CLW or lesser vigor. you rely mostly on buffs, whether self or party i leave to you. i'll leave simple blasting and intricate battle control to the artificer.

unlike the general consensus to not invest in healing items, if you'll be able to afford (and find. maybe the artificer can make you) two items later on they could (aand have a few times in my case) save PCs lives:
- armbands of maximized healing (MiC, 3/day, 7200)
- some sort of item that heals you of the same amount you heal others, a few times a day (forgot it's name)

i'll let others give advice on spell selection, a subject unto itself.

have fun with your game! :smallsmile:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-12, 06:22 AM
Starting at level 1, 32 point buy....

Human, Winter and Cold domains, two flaws, Extend, Persist, DMM: Persist, Extra Turning. Someone get Craft Wondrous at 3rd and Craft Rod at 9th. Make enough 1st level Pearls of Power to put Snowsight on the whole party, and cast Obscuring Snow. At 5th level you can have Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor and/or Ice Axe, at 9th you can make Night Sticks. If the party is good/exalted then consider going Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge Devotion and rely on (Greater) Luminous Armor. In that case you should probably pick up the Spell domain via a prestige class to Anyspell: Shield and cast it Persistent, then use a Pearl of Power to recover Anyspell and use it for Persistent Wraithstrike, and Greater Anyspell a Draconic Polymorph and Persist that as well.

An alternative would be a Druid and use Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) for undead destruction, and you can still Snowsight + Obscuring Snow. You can put Unguent of Timelessness on the Bone Talisman foci and it will last 365 times longer than normal, and with a Strand of Prayer Beads you can Turn Undead as though four levels higher.

Acanous
2012-05-12, 06:39 AM
^That'll win you combats, yep.
As for healing, divine knowledge, and moral guidance, that'd be roleplayed.
Warblade and Cleric work together very well, and having an artificer around just sweetens the pot.

I hope your DM is ready for this 0.o

If not, I know a few other DMs in Canada, who are looking for a group to play with XD

Talya
2012-05-12, 08:00 AM
It's online. The DM is in St. Louis, as I recall. ;)

Krazzman
2012-05-12, 08:15 AM
It's online. The DM is in St. Louis, as I recall. ;)

Hmm a Viking-ish Cleric?

I am on a bit of a hype for ToB these days. I would say that the Ruby Knight Vindikator is a perfect match. Take 4 Levels Cleric, 1 Level Crusader and then Ruby Knight Vindikator. Domains War Strength Planning and if you want to smash undead Sun and Undead are added to this list.

For Equipment a Banded Mail and a Heavy Shield are quite awesome for the first 3 levels, try to switch to a full plate as soon as possible. Bashing Skulls with a Two Handed weapon as soon as AC is nearly irrelevant is another good move.

Talya
2012-05-12, 08:28 AM
I've already got a warblade in the same game (that I'm already playing...if you see the linked thread, we each get 4 characters.) However...I do really like Prestige Paladin, which might be a good way to go even if it does lower the overall power of the character. However, I'm starting at level 1, and will likely level very slowly. I'm more concerned with the first three levels than anything else.

I don't even know what to pick for starting feats on a cleric.

Waker
2012-05-12, 12:15 PM
Well, as some possible choices in places of playing a cleric, you could obviously try Favored Soul or Paladin. Both have access to spells and some fighting potential.

Paladin of Freedom 5/War Priest 3 (Champion of Thor)
He's a decent combatant, has a bit of healing, some aura abilities to help other resist fear and at level 6 can prepare a feast worthy of the einherjar. Grab Battle Caster to make your spellcasting in combat go a bit easier. Consider grabbing the Charging Smite acf or potentially the Stand Fast acf.

Gwendol
2012-05-12, 12:27 PM
Viking theme? Will the game play at sea at all? I'd look at stormwrack for some seafaring inspiration. Contrary to many of the advice given I'd go for a high-CHA cleric.
Fear-stacking and suggestion, maybe get some bard in there since inspire ciurage and singing while fighting is so very norse. I'd stay away from paladin and go fighter or ordained champion if more martial proficiency is wanted.

Talya
2012-05-12, 01:51 PM
Viking theme? Will the game play at sea at all? I'd look at stormwrack for some seafaring inspiration. Contrary to many of the advice given I'd go for a high-CHA cleric.
Fear-stacking and suggestion, maybe get some bard in there since inspire ciurage and singing while fighting is so very norse. I'd stay away from paladin and go fighter or ordained champion if more martial proficiency is wanted.

If you see my linked thread, seafaring won't use much of it. We're exploring the new world. Also, i already have a bard.

Gwendol
2012-05-12, 04:29 PM
I see. Well, I'd suggest strength and travel for domains, it's fitting both to Thor and the vikings. Hammer as weapon, obviously. Or if there are domains granting call lightning or similar spell that would work too. Thor is the god of thunder and lightning after all.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-12, 05:19 PM
I'd definitely get Extend, Persist, DMM: Persist, and Extra Turning at 1st level via Human and flaws. Starting out you can have all-day Divine Favor or Entropic Shield or Nightshield, at 3rd level you can use Elation (BoED), at 5th Mass Lesser Vigor, at 7th Recitation, at 9th Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. I'd probably get either more Extra Turning or maybe some reserve feats like Touch of Healing and Summon Elemental. Power Attack may be useful to pick up if you can throw enough turn attempts at it. Maybe get Spell Focus: Transmutation for Ability Enhancer from the Dragon Compendium, assuming it will work on both Bull's Strength and Elation to give a total +10 Str.

I still think the cold-themed domains would be fitting for a northerner/viking cleric, and mechanically they're your strongest choices. At least get the Cold domain with the spontaneous casting ACF, between Chill Metal making an opponent drop their weapon (it worked on Aragorn in Fangorn Forest!) and Sleet/Ice Storm hindering opponents, it'll make him extremely useful in yet one more area. You can also DMM: Persist an Ice Axe every day if you have enough turn uses.