PDA

View Full Version : Gurps: The Burning Hate

Madara
2012-05-11, 08:32 PM
Music to set the mood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bftTUAIVMUQ)

It is the 15th day of march, the Fist of the Sun movement has been successful, and the new government has been in control for 3 months. Today, the new leader is speaking to the people at the capital in town square.

This is where the adventure begins...

You are all in the square ready to observe this new leader and gather as much information as you can. The crowd is growing louder

Map:

The stage(s) is front and center, with mobs of people(C) clustered in certain areas. In terms of a display of the military power, they are only a few elite guards in groups of five(g) stationed on crowd control.

Each space is about 20 units/20 units (Yards or Feet, whatever you measure movement in)
{table=head]_|A|B|C|D|E|F|G

1|
_|
_|
s|
s|
s|
_|
_|

2|
_|
g|
s|
s|
s|
_|
_|

3|
g|
_|
_|
_|
g|
_|
_|

4|
_|
C|
C|
C|
M|
C|
C|

5|
_|
C|
C|
C|
V|
C|
C|

6|
g|
C|
C|
C|
_|
C|
C/e|

[/table]

V= Volt's character Gunthar
M=Mage's character
e=erhnamdj's

OOC:
Please describe the character, and give me a location.

erhnamdj
2012-05-11, 11:25 PM
Akara is huge for a women. She's taller than any man she's seen since her descent from the mountains. Her bulging muscles show under any clothes she wear. And she's probably the prettiest thing within a hundred leagues. At only twenty years of age, her sweet face at first glance appears to betray her inner self, but her eyes tell a different story, one of brutishness, rage, and experience.

She's found a space to sit and watch, covering herself with an old woman's robe stolen from one of the nearby buildings. Her great axe is stashed within easy reach in a trough at her feet. She sits perfectly still so as not to rattle the mail armor hidden underneath the robe.

Volthawk
2012-05-12, 09:54 AM
Gunnar was standing by the edge of the crowd, his body and lower face covered by his cloak - he didn't think they knew his face, as he fought in his full armour, including a face-concealing helmet, but he wasn't taking any chances. He was very tall, which didn't help with the conspicuous factor, but luckily he didn't have any particularly noticeable handsomeness or injuries to distinguish him, and his armour was hidden in his pack, which was hidden away in an alleyway around the back of the plaza, so they didn't have that to distinguish him from the crowd. It wasn't exactly a subtle set of gear, and this part of things did require subtlety. His shield and blade were still on his person, however, both hidden by the cloak. If they saw them, he'd be in trouble.

As he waited, he breathed slowly. He needed to not let his loyalties make him stand out here. Looking at these guards, he didn't think he'd have too good a chance if he had to take them on as he is. They had numbers on their side, and his natural toughness isn't enough for him to take on that many elite troops and not lose due to attrition at the very least.

Looking at the grid, I'd say place Gunnar at E5, in at the edge of the crowd by the edge of the grid. Gives him a chance to slip away and armour up if stuff kicks off.

Verte
2012-05-12, 03:47 PM
Nemoria is wearing a dull brown cloak over a leather jacket and a grey, long tunic, which conceal her form and her daggers. Her hair falls around her neck in short, dark curls; however, the cowl of her cloak and a close-fitting cap conceal most of it.

She listens carefully to the roar of the crowd and her eyes scan the stage; she makes sure to keep her expression neutral in order to further blend in. She is prepared to draw a dagger hidden under her jacket, or to flee, in case she does draw the attention of the guards. She avoids looking directly at them for more than a second, instead keeping them at the periphery of her vision. She briefly worries that they will notice her, they will chase her, and they will capture her. Then she calms her mind and draws all of her attention to her surroundings and her stance.

She's at space E4, near the crowd at F4.

erhnamdj
2012-05-12, 06:20 PM
Oh, right. A location. I figure Akara is way down there in G6.

Madara
2012-05-12, 09:48 PM
As the crowd grows quiet, the speaker walks out. His greatness, High Priest of Sol, the Burning Cloak, M. Pathientis. The man is cloaked in a white robe, with dark orange trim. His followers also have the orange trim, but they have brown and yellow cloaks. His hair is a fair blonde, and his eyes are an orange shade of brown. His gestures are delicate, but not because he is weak. You can tell his is a military man, for no gesture or movement is wasted. His raises his arms, and the crowd holds their breath to hear his first words.

My people! Greetings from the brightest star. The shadows are almost gone!" The crowd roars with excitement as he begins his speech. "From the very first moment you came into this world, you were all destined to serve the Light! As I was pondering what to tell you today, Sol himself spoke to me!" The crowd gasps, almost as if on command. "Even in the night, my way is full of light. It was out of the shadows that his burning light came to me, he told me 'Student, you are to forget the old ways. This shall be the golden age of the world, the darkness shall be destroyed.' It was after he said these words that I gained a new sight. I can see the warmth in each of you. I can see the Flame of Sol working inside you!"

Pathientis takes this moment to leave his podium and walk to the side of the stage, taking a more personal approach to his speech, "Because of the commands Sol has given me, and the new vision I have, there are Reforms to be made! Our society will better itself! We shall start by destroying the source of the shadows! From this day forward, all those of the old ruling class are to come forward for detention and to be Cleansed. I urge all of you to bring them to us so we may erase their hearts of the shadows, and add the Flame of Sol! Those who support this endeavor shall be rewarded with a fiscal amount for their troubles. May Sol's Light burn down all opposes to his warmth! In each of you, I hope you grow to live the life of the Burning Love. Go now, and shun the darkness!"

He turns and makes his exit, with the roar of the crowd in the background, seemingly coming from every foot of the city. Some of the members of the crowd are so passionate they start to chant, and others have started pushing some men forward, claiming they are members of the previous government. The crowd is still a little ways from getting out of control, but it's getting unruly.

Gillric
2012-05-13, 03:07 PM
Barrabus

The nondescript man stands directly in the seething crowd, amongst the press of bodies. He blends in almost perfectly except for the polished hilts sticking from his belt.

As this new leader makes his speech and exits, the crowd becomes agitated. As they start to push forward, Barrabus calmly rides out the flow of humanity.

Finished up his sheet with gear. Barrabus is in C5 amongst one of the crowds.

Madara
2012-05-13, 03:28 PM
During all this commotion, Nemoria bumps into Gunnar and has only time for a glance before a large man in a gray tunic grabs her by the collar and starts shouting, "I got one! This one here, she's the enemy! Make way, let me bring her up!"

Barrabus has no difficulty riding the wave of people, but he does happen to run into someone he knows. It's the baker from where he used to live, during the time that he was in one spot that is. The baker, Nathanial, was a quiet man, and Barrabus is surprised to see that he would even bother coming to the rally, it's certainly out of character for the man.

Akara was almost accused of being a foreigner, since people can tell, but they wouldn't want to involve the pretty woman in any roughhousing. Still, the crowd is bumping around, and people are almost knocking her over with all the movement.

Verte
2012-05-14, 12:24 AM
Nemoria puts all of her effort in an attempt to pull away from the man's grasp, mostly by using the strength of her shoulders. She also surreptitiously slides her right arm slightly behind her back and hip, in case she fails and needs to strike him from behind.

Gillric
2012-05-14, 10:24 AM
Barrabus

Barrabus slowly melts back into the crowd away from Nathanial until he can just keep an eye on the man without being noticed himself.

What would bring him to this place? Barrabus muses to himself.

Volthawk
2012-05-14, 03:47 PM
"Wait."

Gunnar stands in front of the man trying to keep a hold on Nemoria.

"You seem pretty sure that she's the enemy. How do you know that? Or are you just trying to take advantage of this, hmm? Trying to get someone you don't like into a bad situation? Or is it just that you want to look good for the rulership?"

Madara
2012-05-14, 03:53 PM
Nemoria succeeds from breaking out of the grapple because the man was distracted by Gunnar. The man is startled by Gunnar, who seems dangerous. The man responds "I know she's one of them, don't think I won't let this go." At this point, the guards who had been fairly stationary start shouting and putting people on the ground. They plan on arresting everyone there

Volthawk
2012-05-14, 04:00 PM
"Well, whether she is or not, looks like you'll be joining her. Now, if you'd excuse me, I have to go. And I'd advise you to do the same if you don't want to get arrested. You too, ma'am."

That said, Gunnar starts to head out of the plaza, taking a route that keeps the guards away from him to avoid hostilities from involving him.

Madara
2012-05-14, 05:13 PM
Gunnar notices that there is a building which seems uninhabited not too far from him, it seems like it would make a suitable place to hide. Gunnar, being so large is certain to draw the attention of several of you, and many of you also notice the same abandoned house.

Verte
2012-05-14, 05:38 PM
Nemoria decides to head towards the house. She keeps her head low and her shoulders down while trying to rush away from the guards, avoiding the more passionate members of the crowd in case someone else decides to grab her.

Gillric
2012-05-15, 07:34 AM
Barrabus

Barrabus starts working his way to the edge of the crowd and towards the large building that appears to be abandoned. He notices a number of others with the same idea, all heading for this "house".

Volthawk
2012-05-15, 12:42 PM
Noticing the house, Gunnar takes a route that doesn't immediately head there, hoping that doing so would not make it so obvious that the house was where he was heading.

Madara
2012-05-15, 04:00 PM
Barrabus is the first to reach the house, the discolored walls, and rotted floor boards reveal that there have been no occupants in this house in quite some time and there are a few places to hide. The room has a faded red table, a couple padded chairs which seem to be ripped and discolored, and a fireplace that looks like it was never used, except for some ashes it is the cleanest thing in the room. There is also an upstairs, and a door that leads presumably out the back. The door he enters was open, but could be bolted shut.

Before he has the chance however, Nemoria slides inside. The two are alone, inside, waiting for the problem to pass.

Gunnar:
You have two options, you can either climb in the window upstairs, or go through the back door. You do, however, hear some voices inside, presumably the others who were headed this way.

The Rat
You're upstairs when you hear voices enter the building where you've been hiding during this speech.

Also, Link to the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13216684#post13216684)

Verte
2012-05-15, 07:30 PM
As Nemoria enters the room, her eyes adjust to the change in light. She surveys the room and Barrabus while avoiding any windows; she also listens for any sounds from upstairs. She whispers "Thanks for letting me through. Do you know if anyone else is here?"

erhnamdj
2012-05-16, 12:29 AM
Akara watches as the guards get down to business. She crouches down and puts her hand on the handle of her axe. Then she looks around for the best place to start the slaughter. But all those guards... there has to be a better way out of this. She starts moving, looking for some place to hide. She tries to keep herself crouched down so as not to draw any extra attention.

jpreem
2012-05-16, 01:37 AM
Frank has found a derelict house to spend his afternoon and night he looks for a place where he won't be immidiately noticed when someone enters the building and which would possibly have several exits. (at least too door and a window for example.) (If roll needed Urban survival 11 - [roll0])

He has been aware of the commotion in the town square (I guess?), not wanting to get himself into trouble he quietly tries to finish a begged for truncheon with gravy residue as he hears somebody entering the house.

He moves his ear close to the floor to try to make out if and what they are saying/doing (per roll 10 [roll1]). When not getting any info he moves closer to the downstairs (if theres a doorway he'll try to be behind it) to listen more and take a peek. (stealth 13 [roll2], per 10 [roll3])

Gillric
2012-05-16, 07:26 AM
Barrabus

When someone enters the house rigt behind him, Barrabus whirls and his hands go to the hilts of his blades. Seeing a women and hearing her thanks, he relaxes a little, Considering that you came through the door pretty much right on my heels, your guess is as good as mine.

Volthawk
2012-05-16, 03:25 PM
Gunnar decides to take a route that gets him in through the back, again so it isn't so obvious in case the guards are watching for this kind of thing. If possible, he quickly grabs his pack from the place he hid it - just in case things get violent, he'd like to have his armour.

Verte
2012-05-16, 08:01 PM
"Right. Sorry about that, and sorry if I startled you." She holds her hands up to shoulders, demonstrating that she's presently unarmed, though her daggers are still hidden. She is hesitant to engage in further discussion until she's sure the house is secure, though she doubts anyone lives here. She moves to lock the front door.

Gillric
2012-05-17, 10:30 AM
Barrabus

Barrabus nods as the woman moves to bar the door, Best have a look around, don't want any surprises. He then begins to move about the house to check for other entrances and anyone who may already be inside.

Madara
2012-05-17, 03:27 PM
Its a rather ammusing situation, as Gunnar, Barrabus, and Frank all go into the same room at once. A few seconds pass of tension before you all hear the sound of the guards searching the ally.

Akara, ironically, find that the best place to be is following the guard squad. As the guards approach the ally, she hears sounds on the inside of the building in which our group of survivors lie.

erhnamdj
2012-05-17, 03:32 PM
How many guards are there? And how wide is the alley?

Madara
2012-05-17, 06:08 PM
There are five guards positioned like so...

G__G___Building
__G ___[]Building
_G_G___Building
|
|
|
|
|
|
A

(Each | being 5 yards)([] is the door)
the ally way is 15 yard wide, and 100 yards long. They are about 30 yards ahead of you, and the building in which you notice people is 35 yards ahead of you.

erhnamdj
2012-05-17, 06:17 PM
How are the guards armed and armored?

Madara
2012-05-17, 06:55 PM
You can't tell what kind of armor they're wearing because of their cloaks, but each one is carrying a spear.

Verte
2012-05-17, 11:24 PM
After barring the front door, Nemoria heads through the door at the back of the room, because she hears noises from that direction. She approaches the door cautiously, first making sure to get a good look inside before walking through it. When she realizes that there are guards outside, she refrains from saying anything to the others in the back room - she fears drawing their attention. Her hand slips to one of the daggers under her jacket.

erhnamdj
2012-05-18, 12:42 AM
Akara will hold up her axe and start running at the guards.

jpreem
2012-05-18, 01:14 AM
If no very good alternate route out from the house exists.
Franks says "Looks like you have brought us some trouble with you. It was such kind of commotion I was trying to avoid.".
If there's room to do so Frank will use his quarterstaff(its also a walking/carrying implement which is in most of the times in his hands).
In case of altercation with guards he tries at first to stay behind others, but still enough within the centre of the room to have some manoeuvrability later. (retreat/flank room etc.)
He will wait ready to hit someone who comes looking for trouble in his staffs reach.
(Is the elite guard know to use magic or are they just competent fighters)

Gillric
2012-05-18, 08:57 AM
Barrabus

Hearing the commotion outside in the alley, Barrabus' blades quickly appear in his hands and he settles into a ready stance.

Volthawk
2012-05-18, 09:24 AM
Seeing how things were developing - especially with the group's weaponry and apparent ability to use it, and even more so with the axe-wielding woman - a little grin appears on Gunnar's face. He wouldn't have to fight the guards off alone. The woman's charge meant that there was probably no time to get his armour on before the first group (he didn't doubt that more would come) came in, deciding that he'd just have to deal with them using his sword and shield, which he pulls out from under his cloak - his sword is a well-made blade (formerly being used by one of the old ruling class who led the rebellion - Gunnar retrieved the blade from his body once the new rulers cracked down on the rebellion), and the shield was a large heavy one, glowing a faint dark-blue, with arcane writing around the edges and a symbol of the old ruling class in the centre.

When Frank speaks, he turns his head to him.
"Well, you don't have to fight. You can go hide upstairs and run away later if you like."

Verte
2012-05-18, 02:51 PM
Seeing that everyone else is armed and ready to fight off the guards, Nemoria draws a dagger in her right hand and another in her left hand. She shifts to a position that takes her out of a direct line to the back door, and she prepares to throw one of her blades at any guard that comes through it.

Madara
2012-05-18, 04:03 PM
Akara is almost at the guards when they take notice of her, one spins around and mutters a few words. BAM, a flash of light comes from that direction. Even those inside the building can see it through the window.

Roll a HT with a -2 penalty. Failure means blinding for 1min.

Yes, they can use magic. As for those inside the building, the guards weren't coming inside...

erhnamdj
2012-05-18, 04:34 PM
[roll0]

12 or lower succeeds.

Madara
2012-05-18, 06:24 PM
Several are blinded for the time, while the guards move to apprehend the Barbarianness. "Move in, and remember to proceed with caution, this one's a foreigner!"

erhnamdj
2012-05-18, 08:01 PM
Does Akara recognize that spell, or see where it came from?

Either way, she'll swing on the nearest guard, doing a telegraphic attack, putting her skill at 14.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Madara
2012-05-18, 08:50 PM
No, the spell seems more like an ability than actual casting. Also, you can just post this stuff on the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242986)

The guard swears and drops to the ground, while the others seem to form some sort of combat positions. This isn't an unorganized combat anymore.

The Guard in the back raises his hand to the air, and a red flash of light(Read: Flare) sprouts out into the sky, likely revealing your location.

jpreem
2012-05-19, 02:49 AM
HT roll. vs 12. (possible bonus from being indoors and away?)

You see concentration on Frank's face, and those with sharper ears might hear a sharp breath out. (Frank activates his static(magic), spends 2fp)

HT roll again this time with 3 dice (sorry)
[roll]3d6

jpreem
2012-05-19, 02:51 AM
OK whats up with the roll now.
HT roll again. [roll0]

Madara
2012-05-19, 07:56 AM
Frank would've been blinded, but he recognized the guard's gestures and replied with an ability of his own. The area around frank crackles with white energy as the flash hits his static. The magic of the flash collects into a single ball, trying to break through, but it gets shredded apart.

jpreem, I can't tell what the build was on your static. Tell me if its area.

Verte
2012-05-20, 04:08 PM
Nemoria squeezes her eyes shut against the light and covers her face with her arm. When she opens her eyes, she's thankful that she can still see, but she notes that some of the others seem to have been blinded by the attack. However, she also notes that the woman outside is still able to strike a guard with her axe. Nemoria moves to a position between the window and the door.

Are either the window or door open? I just want to know if I have to open one of them in order to throw the dagger through.

Madara
2012-05-20, 05:05 PM
neither one is open

Verte
2012-05-20, 05:45 PM
Noting that the window is shut, Nemoria decides to open it so she can throw a dagger at one of the guards.

Gillric
2012-05-21, 09:04 PM
Barrabus

Noting the woman opening the window, Barrabus hisses, Yes, do invite them in for tea.

Verte
2012-05-22, 01:42 AM
Nemoria hesitates, and replies in a whisper, "All right, it's a bad plan - but I also think it's a bad plan to just stand and watch." She continues as she backs away from the window "What do you want to do - run or fight?"

jpreem
2012-05-22, 09:15 AM
Frank:"
We need to storm outta-here either way. To either run past them or fight. The most useless would be to hang around here. There's only more of them coming"
Speech is made by Frank on the assumption he didn't spot any good alternate routes out other than the door/window at the front. I guess the dark blue colour isn't taken jet?

Gillric
2012-05-22, 10:05 AM
Barrabus

Does this place have a basement? It may have an exit into the sewers. Or we could always try to jump the alley from the roof.

Madara
2012-05-24, 03:49 PM
Those who look around do find a basement

Gillric
2012-05-25, 09:37 AM
Barrabus

Well, this place has a basement but I think I will take my chances with the roof. Barrabus starts looking for a way up towards the roof.

If there is no inside access to the roof, I will go to the top floor and look for a window that would be close to the roof

Madara
2012-05-27, 11:06 AM
Barrabus reaches the second floor and finds an open window which leads into the ally. There are more guards coming, so the current ones are on the defensive. They won't hunt you down yet if you run.

Gillric
2012-05-28, 07:43 AM
Barrabus

Barrabus proceeds to stick his head out the window and gauges the distance to the roof of the building he is in as well as the one accross the alley.

Volthawk
2012-05-28, 08:10 AM
Shaking his head as the light still blinds him, Gunnar listens to the others talk. "Dammit, I can't fight like this...well, I still have my shield. You people get away, just lead me to your exit. I'll try to hold them off there as much as I can in this state, and follow once I can see again. Make sure to bring my pack with you!"

erhnamdj
2012-05-28, 12:35 PM
Akara will swing on the nearest guard, doing another Telegraphic attack. Skill 20, -10 for being blind, +4 for Telegraphic Attack.

[roll0]

A hit!

And damage is 2d6+4

[roll1]

jpreem
2012-05-28, 01:28 PM
Frank follows Barrabus to the upper story window. He gauges the jump to the next building and the climb down.

Verte
2012-05-28, 11:02 PM
Nemoria remarks to Gunnar "I'll stay here and hold them off with you till you regain your sight. It's the least I can do after you helped me out back in the square."

Gillric
2012-06-04, 09:55 AM
Barrabus

Having judged the distances, Barrabus quickly rummages through his pack. After a moment he produces some basic climbing gear and readies his equipment. Barrabus then proceeds to lean backwards out the window and attempt to throw his grapling hook with a trailing line up to the roof.

[roll0] throwing defaults to DX-3 for a target of 11

Madara
2012-06-04, 10:10 AM
Akara is successful is knocking down another guard, but that's when the reinforcements arrive. Five more guards come from both ends of the ally, readying their weapons and commanding her to get on the ground.

Those upstairs see the incoming guards, after a few tries, Barrabus is successful is getting his grappling hook attached to the house opposite.

Gillric
2012-06-04, 10:21 AM
Barrabus

After giving a good pull on the rope to insure that the grappling hook is lodged firmly in position, Barrabus secure the other end of his roop just inside the window with a tension knot. With the rope secured at both ends, Barrabus quickly starts to climb, hand over hand, to the other building.

OOC:
A tension knot is a knot that comes undone when no longer under tension, ie: when I dislodge the grappling hook the rope will go loose which will free up the knot at this end.
If there is nothing readily available to secure the roop to, Barrabus will drive a piton from his climbing equipment to the inside of the wall near the window.
[roll0] vs 13 (climb skill)

Madara
2012-06-04, 12:05 PM
Barrabus is successful at crossing the ally, once he gets to the other side, he finds that the rooftop to rather stable, and not too slanted.

Gillric
2012-06-05, 09:42 AM
Barrabus

Having reached the other building Barrabus calls down into the alley, Flee you fool! You can't take on the guard alone.

jpreem
2012-06-06, 12:19 PM
Frank tries to do jump down nimbly to place him so that guards are between him and Akara (so probably have their backs to him at first) at the reach of his staff.
in case of success remove 5ft from falling distance calculations
acrobatics vs. 12 [roll0]
If allowed a move and attack manoeuvre along with this movement he will take a bash at the hopefully surprised guard.
Move and attack can't be over 9? So roll against 9 to hit.
[roll1]
"Here to help you!"
Let's say he couldn't quite stand to watch our blinded beautiful barbarian battling brutes all by herself

erhnamdj
2012-06-06, 09:49 PM
Akara is successful is knocking down another guard, but that's when the reinforcements arrive. Five more guards come from both ends of the ally, readying their weapons and commanding her to get on the ground.

Akara tosses her axe aside, then drops to her knees. "You got me!"

At least until I get my sight back, she thinks.

Gillric
2012-06-28, 12:54 PM
Barrabus

Seeing the woman surrendering to the guard, Barrabus shakes his head. Can't very well oppose the government when you're in chains. If the rest of you have any sense you'll flee! He shouts out before getting ready to bring in his rope and set off across the roof tops.

Manwhoisthisman
2012-07-01, 09:11 AM
Frank, still being completely blind, misjudges... everything! He throws himself too close to the rear guards, and skewers himself on their two spears and knocks the guards to the ground. In shock, and because of his unexpected weight, they release their grip as Frank thuds to the ground with the spears still lodged in his body.

"Rear guards" referring to guards g4 and g5 on the map (http://elitter.net/~wabaumann/char/HEXcel.xls). I believe that puts g1, g2 "down" (dead?), g4, g5 prone and surprised, and g3 probably turning around and very surprised.