PDA

View Full Version : Pony Optimization Challenge.

20percentcooler
2012-05-11, 10:12 PM
My friends and I want to play as awakened war ponies. Any build ideas? We have received a ruling that they can cast arcane spells despite the hooves. We have some class ideas, namely totemist, Druid and cleric. We found a way to remove the rhd. A million thanks to all who assist.

Adindra
2012-05-11, 10:18 PM
for spell casting you could take the surrogate spellcasting feat which specifically allows you to cast without humanoid appendages (its in savage species)

also how did you manage to remove the rhd?

my favorite build for a pony would have to be cleric of Luna/Nightmare Moon into church inquisitor (my dm allowed me the creation of my own mlp deity and i ran an anthropomorphic bat cleric with it, it was a blast!)

edit sorry about that i thought you said that he wasnt willing to allow it right out :smallredface:

20percentcooler
2012-05-11, 10:21 PM
I'm ashamed of it's pure cheesitude. We removed the rhd with draining touch, because of you lose levels by draining touch, the rules don't state you have to restore them in the same class, hence eliminating rhd. RAW ftw.

Adindra
2012-05-11, 10:23 PM
I'm ashamed of it's pure cheesitude. We removed the rhd with draining touch, because of you lose levels by draining touch, the rules don't state you have to restore them in the same class, hence eliminating rhd. RAW ftw.

ive gotta see if my dm would let me do that :) ive always wanted to build pinkie pie or twlight :smallcool:

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-11, 10:26 PM
Wait... You aren't really doing a My Little Pony dnd game are you?

20percentcooler
2012-05-11, 10:30 PM
Not if he is allergic to dairy. Also, Twi=psion, cleric (Celestia is deity) or wizard. Pinkie = bard.

20percentcooler
2012-05-11, 10:32 PM
Yes, yes I am, against the DM's will too.

*.*.*.*
2012-05-11, 11:37 PM
Yes, yes I am, against the DM's will too.

That makes you a 'That Guy', don't be a 'That Guy'. D&D is meant to be played amongst friends and be enjoyable for all involved, including the DM. If your DM doesn't want you to be ponies, you should respect his/her wish.

I almost typed a negative message to bronies, but I forgot the obnoxious part of the fandom is the smallest part(That and I don't wanna start a flame war).

Adindra
2012-05-11, 11:42 PM
ironically i sent my dm a message after posting asking him what i would have to do to get him to run a 3.5 game and let me play a pony based on twilight

as a side note some of my past characters have included and anthropomorphic bat, a dragon druid, and the one im currently building is an awakened bonsai tree factotum

soo strange character concepts arent beyond me and im known to run weird things (it helps that my dm also got me all the mlp toys from mcdonalds so he knows about my like for the show)

Dr_S
2012-05-12, 06:31 AM
don't know nothin' bout MLP but you didn't specify you were looking for builds that had anything to do with the show so I thought I'd mention one of our group members once played an awakened horse monk... since they can't carry weapons without hands, but unarmed strike need not be a punch it worked out for him. I don't know the build specifics, only that he was proud of that character to the point of I've heard this story multiple times and have only been playing with this group for like a year (and wasn't at the game he played this character)

CTrees
2012-05-12, 07:04 AM
Before MLP was confirmed, I was going to suggest the anthropomorphic animals from Savage Species. That said, if everyone is playing as an awakened pony, why not just either hand wave away or keep the RHD? You're playing non-LA races anyway, so...

Regardless, I would suggest eschew materials. Also, prioritizing ways to fly, because climbing (or even using many tools) is going to be difficult. A simple, thirty foot cliff between the party and their goal could be insurmountable when everyone is a horse.

Rubik
2012-05-12, 11:13 AM
Psion would be the best for this, I think. Take a hand of the mage for Mage Hand and you're set.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-12, 11:14 AM
Regardless, I would suggest eschew materials. Also, prioritizing ways to fly, because climbing (or even using many tools) is going to be difficult. A simple, thirty foot cliff between the party and their goal could be insurmountable when everyone is a horse.

Well obvoiusly 1 or 2 would be an awakened Pegasus, and Unicorns get Levitate as a spell like ability. I thought you knew.:smalltongue:

Prime32
2012-05-12, 01:01 PM
Can MLP ponies hold things in their hooves, and do they often serve as mounts? If the answers are "yes and no" then there is no mechanical difference between a pony and a standard race, and you can just refluff.

Roguenewb
2012-05-12, 01:08 PM
Can MLP ponies hold things in their hooves, and do they often serve as mounts? If the answers are "yes and no" then there is no mechanical difference between a pony and a standard race, and you can just refluff.

He makes an excellent point. If those answers are true (I got no idea) then you can call it anything, note, I think you're getting +4 STR +2 DEX +4 CON and a CHA penalty that awaken will help.

Pokonic
2012-05-12, 01:19 PM

Indeed, yes and no. Nothing wrong with calling a unicorn a elf, a human a earth pony, and a Raptoran a pegusi.

Tvtyrant
2012-05-12, 02:36 PM
Why not simply play as a Druid who spends the day wildshaped as a pony? Have Tongues get permanence on you, and you effectively are a Pony.

Urpriest
2012-05-12, 02:50 PM
Have the various forms of Awaken cheese (Maximize, Empower, stacking it) been ruled on?

Rubik
2012-05-12, 04:10 PM
Can MLP ponies hold things in their hooves, and do they often serve as mounts? If the answers are "yes and no" then there is no mechanical difference between a pony and a standard race, and you can just refluff.There's only one regular non-pony on the show (discounting the occasional cow, sheep, goat, minotaur, Godzilla-sized bear, and the unintelligent animals that pop up), and he's frequently seen riding one of the ponies. And they can use their hooves to hold things, but they're clumsy, requiring both hooves to clasp something between them (much like an otter can hold things).

An Awakened horse would work, though you'd have to take off the awful racial HD, since the more magical members of the show are too awesome to not have lots of class levels. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVG-yBRxkY)