PDA

View Full Version : gauging interest- "behind the DM's screen" campaign log.

Kol Korran
2012-05-12, 02:23 AM
i'm in the process of preparing a setting for a sea faring campaign. the campaign is set in a homebrew world, and it's supposed to be mostly sandboxish, which is a new experience for me. (i'm a DM who likes to prepare a lot).

however, as i often wondered how other poeple prepare for campaigns, adventures and sessions, might others be interested in this as well? i've written a fairly long (too long?) and detailed (too detailed?) log of a previous campaign, but few people wrote back, showed an active interest. might people be interested in a log that focuses upon the planning of villains? plot hooks? dealing with players?

the goals of this log are:
1) give people a chance to see the DM's work (ok, true, one particular DM, which may not be representative for all DM's, for better or worse)
2) get advice and opinions from the playground, and possibly make the campaign better.

the log as i see it, will deal with some issues prior to the campaign starting (how to adjust to a sandbox premise, major forces in the campaign), but will also follow the campaign as it unfolds, giving a true "behind the screen" look.
this will probably be followed by a story-point-of-view campaign log, as i'm a sucker for writing those. if my group would agree, you'll have access to read the group's site (a PBworks site i've been working on for QUITE some time).

you see? overly long and overly detailed.

Tl;Dr: would you be interested in reading a log about the DM's work in planning and running a campaign? what would you like to see? what interests you? what don't you like? what bores you to death?

thanks,
Kol. :smallsmile:

(search word: piratewitch)

MilesTiden
2012-05-12, 07:08 AM
Well, if your previous writings are anything to go off of, I would greatly enjoy any opportunity to see you 'in action' so to speak. And besides, I would love to see another campaign log of yours :smallbiggrin: And, as for sandbox stuffs, there are a few things. One strategy that I use, is to have general plot hooks, and then adapt the specifics according to the situation as needed. Sort of difficult to explain though. And I would enjoy seeing how you adapt to player choices, and what you are sort of planning out as you go along. :smallsmile: But otherwise, I have no real specific suggestions. (Just as a note, if you are doing more of the 'behind the scenes' planning and running a campaign, rather than just the campaign itself, you might want to move it to the General Roleplaying section, though it is entirely up to personal preference I suppose. :smallsmile:)

Kol Korran
2012-05-12, 04:19 PM
thanks MilesTiden, glad you liked what you saw so far. i'll definetly do another log of the game (unless i'm way too swamped), i just wondered whether to do a "behind the scenes/ planning" campaign as well, to accompany it.

hhmmm. 35 views till now. seems people are not that interested so far. and very few even open the thread. that boring, eh? perhaps an "insider" thread is not in order. or does the general idea need adjusting? :smallconfused:

(if you're reading "it began with a crash" by the way, i'm just coming back from a session. hopefully i'll have time to write it in the next few days)

Venger
2012-05-13, 01:36 AM
campaign journals are always fun. go for it!

Madcrafter
2012-05-13, 03:41 AM
I think that if you write it, they will come. I would be interested, just make sure your players don't accidentally read it.

LansXero
2012-05-13, 05:56 AM
Id actually be interested, I always said the DM notes on each session were one of the highlights of your Many Facets of Darkness campaign log :P-