PDA

View Full Version : What can Rust Monsters Rust?

Illithilich
2012-05-12, 11:41 AM
Can they just rust any metal they want? Because it seems in their abilities they are able to, but it doesn't outright say they can, and its not a magical ability. So would one be able to rust a metal that normally cannot be rusted?

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-12, 11:42 AM
Can they just rust any metal they want? Because it seems in their abilities they are able to, but it doesn't outright say they can, and its not a magical ability. So would one be able to rust a metal that normally cannot be rusted?

...y...

...n...

...maybe...?

(Digs into MM)

EDIT
Strictly as written, yes. The ability says "metal" without specifying the kind of metal, so a rust monster can rust metal that ordinarily doesn't rust.

Don't ask how.

Glimbur
2012-05-12, 11:43 AM
Based on the listed combat tactics, science has no place here. The rust monster prefers ferrous objects over gold and silver, but can also rust the latter.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-12, 11:45 AM
Based on the listed combat tactics, science has no place here. The rust monster prefers ferrous objects over gold and silver, but can also rust the latter.

Obviously those are just rocks. Real metals are things like steel or bronze!

pffh
2012-05-12, 11:50 AM
But if it can rust all metal then we end up in a situation where it can make bones (calcium) and other such stuff rust.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-12, 11:59 AM
But if it can rust all metal then we end up in a situation where it can make bones (calcium) and other such stuff rust.

Frankly, if the rust monster is chewin' on your bones, then you probably have a whole seperate set of problems to worry about.

Dimers
2012-05-12, 12:16 PM

... depending, of course, on whether you equate "metal" in the Periodic Table Of The Elements sense with "metal" in the rust monster's MM entry.

You can't kill the metal. Metal will live on.

Well said, sirs! :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-05-12, 01:04 PM
What sort of rust could a rust monster rust if a rust monster could rust rust?

shimmercat
2012-05-12, 01:26 PM
Oh gods, why did I take Iron Will? It's coming after me, ahhhhhhhhh---

...yes master. Anything you say, master.

:smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2012-05-13, 01:57 AM

Not really. "Metal" is the elemental form of a metallic element. Bones don't contain elemental calcium (which is a good thing, since elemental calcium reacts violently with water), they contain hydroxylapatite, which is actually a salt. If they disintegrated salt, you'd have a problem

Doorhandle
2012-05-13, 03:37 AM
Wait, bones are a salt? So what happens when blood runs though them?

...:smallbiggrin:

I am aware bones don't work that way.

PowerGamer
2012-05-13, 06:38 AM
I'm in the campaign Illithilich was using the rust monster for. Here's what happened...

The party (human paladin, klashtar soulknife, elf ranger, dwarf half-minotuar barbarian/fighter(me)) is in a city of ruins. We walk to the magic sectar and start investigating (skipping foward a bit). We walk into the basement of a large building. Infront of us is a pair of large stone doors. We open in. Behind the door is a room absolutely filled with piles of rust everywhere. I stand in the doorway and the rest of the party enters the room. We suddenly here the thunder of large foot steps. A HUGE FREAKING RUST MONSTER THE SIZE OF AN ELEPHANT CHARGES THE PARTY! I start to close the door as the party runs out of the room. (we then find out that the doors open towards us so closing them was a waste of time....) I turn and run like a screaming girl back towards the stairs (I have too much metal). the rest of the party stands to the sides. Rust monster charges through the door, sees me and keeps running (lucky have the same speed so ha). The paladin take a swipe at it's legs and fails (curse guantlets of STR :P). The ranger shoots an eye and the soulknife attacks. We take another round of combat (I'm still running) and the DM decides it's just dead... I return to the party as if nothing had happened. We go back to the rust covered room and see a door at the other end. Thinking it's full of rust the paladin and I leave. THe soulknife and ranger continue to the door and open it... It's a room with 5000 unrusted gp... blarg!! END OF SHORT STORY

So yeah... It was... fun to say the least. This was thrown at us when we played yesterday so I don't want any complaining about reading a thread my DM posted after the things already happened.

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-13, 08:11 AM
Ah, the rust monster. These and 2nd Edition wights (which caused permanent level loss, not mere negative levels) are kind of funny. There are 20th-level parties that chew apart tarrasques for breakfast but run screaming at the sight of them (especially back in 2E where your AC generally only got so good, -10 essentially being a cap unless you had artifacts).