PDA

View Full Version : Question about the "Cleric Level" Term

Razaele
2012-05-12, 12:01 PM
So guys, I was wondering: Does Cleric Level mean your caster level as well? I'm planning on multiclassing with my Cloistered Cleric, but I'm afraid that some of my spells and domain abilities will lose some of their potency later on if I take levels in say, Church Inquisitor or in Contemplative.

Yora
2012-05-12, 12:02 PM
It depends on the situation. Those things that are class features of the cleric class depend directly on the levels in the class Cleric. Which basically is the Turn Undead Ability.

With other things, it's uncertain, particularly domain powers. But if it says "Cleric Level" than it means only levels in the cleric class by default. Often prestige classes will have an additional section that says "add your class level to your cleric level for the purpose of X".

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-12, 12:04 PM
Your spells and Domains should continue progression as long as your still gaining spelling levels.

Razaele
2012-05-12, 12:38 PM
Ah, but what about things like say, the Strength domain granted power? It says that I obtain an enhancement bonus according to my Cleric level, which is once again rather unclear. I currently have 5 levels of Cloistered Cleric, and am planning on taking a level of Church Inquisitor next. Will this mean that the Strength domain granted power will only give me +5 strength on my 6th character level?

shimmercat
2012-05-12, 12:39 PM
I've played a lot of clerics, including a Cloistered Cleric who had levels in Mystic Theurge, and a regular cleric who had levels of Contemplative. My DMs have always ruled that "Cleric level" means ONLY levels of the Cleric/Cloistered Cleric class, not any prestige class.

Yes, it means that Turn Undead, some domain abilities, and your weird Cloistered Cleric Bardic Knowledge thing get less powerful when you take a prestige class. But you get the advantages of the PrC, so it should basically even out. It's just something to keep in mind when you take a PrC. Look at is as the advantage of NOT multiclassing, even if your spellcasting continues to progress.

You really need to ask your DM to see how they rule to be sure, though.

Yora
2012-05-12, 01:05 PM
Ah, but what about things like say, the Strength domain granted power? It says that I obtain an enhancement bonus according to my Cleric level, which is once again rather unclear. I currently have 5 levels of Cloistered Cleric, and am planning on taking a level of Church Inquisitor next. Will this mean that the Strength domain granted power will only give me +5 strength on my 6th character level?
My interpretation would be yes, it would only be +5.

2xMachina
2012-05-12, 01:42 PM
My interpretation would be yes, it would only be +5.

Same. Unless the PrC says it counts as Cleric lvl for Domain powers. (Pretty sure it never happens in published books, but hey, homebrew)