PDA

View Full Version : The weak arm of the law

Gokken
2012-05-12, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, I promised helping a friend with building his charecter, a Paladin/rogue/Shadowbane inquisitor. Planning on going mostly paladin and inquisitor
he will start in level 3
his stats are
13,12,11,12,9,15 keep in mind you can place them anyway you want, except he must have a 13 in strength by level 6 the stats are horrible I know.

The books are complete divine/warrior/arcane/scoundrel.

for start feats I was thinking, Powerattack seing he needs that for his prestige.
Then Weapon proficency(no idea how to spell it) Bastard sword. Still leaving one slot open Thinking of lightning reflexes.

Hope you can help this poor guy, his stats are bad really bad:smallsmile:

guy it is in your hands now!

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-12, 02:32 PM
Either let him swap stats with someone more lucky who's playing a wizard or druid (or maybe cleric), or switch classes with the wizard/druid/cleric.

Otherwise, if you MUST use this combination with these stats...

Rogue 1/paladin 2/rogue 1 (for Evasion)/whatever

Drop bastard sword. It doesn't matter what his stats are. This is one of the worst uses of a feat slot you can get.

Put the 15 in wisdom. Take Serenity at level 3. I don't care what your source list is, you can find it on free online feat finders (like Realms Helps). And frankly, that source list is unreasonable.

Put the two 12s in dex and con.

Gokken
2012-05-12, 03:26 PM
I can't find this serenity feat what does it do?

and why not 15 in charisma for improved saving throws?

Aeryr
2012-05-12, 03:39 PM
Serenity from dragon magazine compendium will let you use WIS for saves and your paladin special abilities so you are a bit more SAD.

nedz
2012-05-12, 04:11 PM
Sources for Serenity: Dragon #306, Dungeon Compendium Vol. 1

Neither of which are on your list, and it doesn't sound all that useful.
I take it you want to be useful in combat ?

With these stats your not going to be very good with either your wis or char based class features, but then these features are poor anyway.

I would go
St 13
Dex 11
Con 15
Int 9
Wis 12
Cha 12

Bump Str to 14 at 4th, even strength modifiers are more efficient when double handing.
Bump Con to 16 at 8th, you will need to HP.
Buy Wis and Cha items later if you want.
If you must use a sword go with Greatsword, have a short sword or something for backup.
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave (maybe)

Gokken
2012-05-12, 07:56 PM
Nedz I like your idea,
I was thinking of moving the 12 in charisma up to either intelligens or dexterity so he can unluck dogde or combat Expertise for more defense later on

thoughts on that?

Flickerdart
2012-05-12, 08:02 PM
Dodge and Combat Expertise are both abysmal. If you really want AC, stick to using money to get it. Sonofzeal had a list somewhere that gives affordable ways of keeping AC relevant.

nedz
2012-05-13, 02:43 AM
Well it depends upon what style of combat you want to go for.
I didn't list further feat choices because this wasn't clear.

Int 12 if you want Combat Expertise for Improved Trip - but only if you want to be a tripper.

Dex 12 for Dodge-Mobility-Spring Attack is a lot of feats for one trick. Now its quite a good trick, but there are better. You are going to be short of feats anyway.

Cha 12 and Wis 12 are reasonable base values to buff up from, should you need to use your class abilities - either with spells or items. This might be handy if you know you are going to be facing undead say. A Wis boosting item might be a priority, if you were going to be casting more spells, but thats unlikely to be the case. A 12 will get you one 1st level spell at Pal 4 anyway.

Dex might be useful if you want to stealth around - but with the values you have its not going to make too much difference.

Is there a good reason you're not starting with Rogue at level 1: this is 18 skill points your losing ?

nedz
2012-05-13, 02:56 AM
Is there any reason you are tied to Paladin ?
Rogue 4/Cleric 3 or Rogue 3/Cleric 4 is much better for this PrC.
(Rogue 3/Cleric 3/Fighter 1 even)
2nd level spells, domain abilities, 2d6 sneak, more skill points.

St 13 - for PA and the eventual +1 bump
Dex 15
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 12 - for level 2 spells
Cha 9

Ed: misread the BAB requirement.

Flickerdart
2012-05-13, 09:57 AM
Dex 12 for Dodge-Mobility-Spring Attack is a lot of feats for one trick. Now its quite a good trick, but there are better. You are going to be short of feats anyway.
There's nothing good about limiting yourself to 1 attack per round and then staying within charge range of whatever it was you just hit.

Gokken
2012-05-13, 10:05 AM
When he takes the rogue level he cannot multiclass back to paladin it says that in the notes on the paladin class.

Also yea the BAB is gonna be a bitch to reach as cleric/rogue

nedz
2012-05-13, 10:53 AM
There's nothing good about limiting yourself to 1 attack per round and then staying within charge range of whatever it was you just hit.

True, which is why you need to block that with a tree or something.

nedz
2012-05-13, 10:55 AM
When he takes the rogue level he cannot multiclass back to paladin it says that in the notes on the paladin class.
So he needs to take the Rogue levels first.

Also yea the BAB is gonna be a bitch to reach as cleric/rogue
Rogue 4/Cleric 3 or Rogue 3/Cleric 4 or Rogue 3/Cleric 3/Fighter 1 will all meet the BAB 5 requirement.

Flickerdart
2012-05-13, 10:56 AM
Which still leaves you open to movement + attack, or Travel Devotion, or an Anklet teleport, or a Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, or a Twisted Charge...and for all that, you're reducing your usefulness by at least 75%, and wasting feats for the privilege. And that's when the DM feels bad enough for you to give you something to hide behind, which won't always be the case.

nedz
2012-05-13, 12:49 PM
Which still leaves you open to movement + attack, or Travel Devotion, or an Anklet teleport, or a Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, or a Twisted Charge...and for all that, you're reducing your usefulness by at least 75%, and wasting feats for the privilege. And that's when the DM feels bad enough for you to give you something to hide behind, which won't always be the case.

Well this character is wide open to a lot of things, and I was hardly giving this option a ringing endorsement, more sort of damming with faint praise.

Strormer
2012-05-13, 01:16 PM
STR and CON should be your greatest concerns. Everything else can be augmented later, but you'll need those early.

Take Devoted Inquisitor as soon as possible and you'll have not only a neat trick, but you can multiclass freely between pally and rogue. I'd throw in Arterial Strike at some point, or some of the other sneak attack effects since those are not limited to times per day. Get in with flanking and you're set. Leadership could provide you with a good cohort that would flank with you if the party doesn't have a good ally for your flanking plan.

Having a two-hander is decidedly your best bet with this build and ability set. I would lean towards a glaive or some other good reach weapon, but a falchion would also be a good pick, with keen.

Since most of the complete series is allowed I would ask to go Gray Guard along with Inquisitor. Both complement the take-no-prisoners type of paladin well and they're fun to play.

As always, I'm not an optimizer, but that sounds like a fun way to run this character to me.

Incidentally, the optimizer response would most likely be, can I mulligan these rolls?

Gokken
2012-05-14, 07:43 AM
That artirial strike seems like a pretty decent idea,
So aim to get that and power and focus greatsword?
thats his 2 base feats
Like the greyguard options aswell

What for his level 3 feat? Lightning reflexes?