PDA

View Full Version : Low La Outsider Templates

Morithias
2012-05-12, 01:52 PM
Working on a new character. A deepwood sniper/disciple of dispater who focuses on getting a big threat range with large multiplier

There is an item in the book of vile darkness called "Flesh ring of scorn" which auto-confirms all critical hits if worn by an evil outsider.

And there's the problem for fluff reasons (the sniper is one of a group of 4 brothers) I'm having trouble finding a low la template that turns humans into outsiders.

La 0 or La 1 is preferable, but I can work with higher la's like 2 or 3.

All 3.0,3.5 and so on book are allowed, even dragon magazine.

Thanks for the help!

Urpriest
2012-05-12, 02:15 PM
Does the character need to be human, or just have human brothers? Tiefling is an obvious LA +1 outsider born to human parents, but it won't work if you need to be human for mechanical reasons.

Callyn
2012-05-12, 02:16 PM
Tieflings are +1 LA, Outsiders and their fluff makes it clear that they pop up randomly. Same for Genasi, Aasimar and all other planetouched but Tieflings are much more likely to be evil.

dragonsamurai77
2012-05-12, 02:30 PM
Don't have BoVD, so I don't know the exact wording of the ring, but "evil" might refer the actual subtype, not just alignment. (Tieflings, proposed above, are often evil, but don't have the subtype)

Morithias
2012-05-12, 02:36 PM
Does the character need to be human, or just have human brothers? Tiefling is an obvious LA +1 outsider born to human parents, but it won't work if you need to be human for mechanical reasons.

Well I COULD make it a tiefling, and it's what the current sheet is but....I have 2 humans, an aasimar, and a tiefling right now....all related.

I know genetics is fickle thing in D&D, but I would like to see a family tree where that could work, and have all 4 be biological brother.

As for the ring...

"Flesh ring of scorn: When this ring is pierced into the flesh of an evil outsider, it allows the outside to automatically score a critical hit against a non-outsider whenever the threat of a critical hit is indicated."

Huh...non-outsider...that's going to hurt me when we go up against the saints.

Darrin
2012-05-12, 02:37 PM
Tieflings are +1 LA, Outsiders and their fluff makes it clear that they pop up randomly. Same for Genasi, Aasimar and all other planetouched but Tieflings are much more likely to be evil.

Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) Tieflings are LA +0 and still outsiders (unlike the lesser planetouched version in PGtF... although those might still be able to use the Otherworldly feat to become outsiders).

Neraph in the Planar Handbook is an outsider with LA +0.

As far as a template... try Pseudonatural from Complete Arcane/Lords of Madness. It's not exactly LA +0... rather, it just doesn't list any LA at all. But there's an argument that it doesn't really add anything useful (other than polymorph/alter self abuse).

Urpriest
2012-05-12, 02:39 PM
Well I COULD make it a tiefling, and it's what the current sheet is but....I have 2 humans, an aasimar, and a tiefling right now....all related.

I know genetics is fickle thing in D&D, but I would like to see a family tree where that could work, and have all 4 be biological brother.

As for the ring...

"Flesh ring of scorn: When this ring is pierced into the flesh of an evil outsider, it allows the outside to automatically score a critical hit against a non-outsider whenever the threat of a critical hit is indicated."

Huh...non-outsider...that's going to hurt me when we go up against the saints.

The ring doesn't require the evil subtype, just an evil alignment, based on that wording. Since the family already has an Aasimar, just have another Aasimar in the party, an evil one this time.

2xMachina
2012-05-12, 02:39 PM

Aasimar married a Tiefling?

Morithias
2012-05-12, 03:45 PM
The ring doesn't require the evil subtype, just an evil alignment, based on that wording. Since the family already has an Aasimar, just have another Aasimar in the party, an evil one this time.

The other Aasimar is a cleric of Bel/Paladin of Tyranny. All 4 of the brothers are evil.

I could use Aasimar, and it looks like I might have to for fluff reasons alone, but wisdom and charisma are largely useless for a Musket wielding sniper.

Thanks for the help everyone!