PDA

View Full Version : Countering Lycanthrope Counters

ajfonty
2012-05-13, 12:29 AM
Hi all,

If a group of characters know they are going to fight a lycanthrope, there are several different means of countering it that they can prepare in advance, including spells and item choices.

Are there any specific items or spells that the lycanthrope can use to counter these counters?

Thanks in advance.

Amidus Drexel
2012-05-13, 12:39 AM
Copius amounts of dispel magic. That is the solution to all problems.
The spell shatter, for weapons.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-13, 12:40 AM
Well, Silver for one thing. Also, what sort of lycanthrope they are (flying type??)...

Resistance to the curse.

Maybe something to overwhelm its scent.

The Lycanthrope might not be evil -- it depends on the type. -- do they WANT a violent solution?

Is it a big creature or a little creature?

What movement modes is it likely to have?

Also, you (as a dm or player or whatever) should read this: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

How does shatter or dispel magic do anything for lycanthropes? Are you sure you are responding to the right thread?? Lycanthropes often use natural weapons... and they might not be spellcasters at all? So how would dispel magic help? I think you responded to the wrong thread!

Invader
2012-05-13, 12:53 AM
Are you looking for things for the lycanthropes to use to counter what the party brings, i.e. what can I do to protect against silver kind of stuff?

Amidus Drexel
2012-05-13, 12:54 AM
I may have misread. I was referring to the end of that.

there are several different means of countering it that they can prepare in advance, including spells and item choices.

dispel magic to counter the spells, and shatter to get rid of the magic items.
sorry if there was a different intent to that

Wyntonian
2012-05-13, 12:54 AM
*snip*

How does shatter or dispel magic do anything for lycanthropes? Are you sure you are responding to the right thread?? Lycanthropes often use natural weapons... and they might not be spellcasters at all? So how would dispel magic help? I think you responded to the wrong thread!

Um. No. You responded to the wrong thread. The question was how one can defend against the counters one would use against a Lycanthrope.

As in, you are the were-thing, you know someone's coming at you with silver and whatever, so you do what Amidus Drexel and shatter their weapons and shoot some dispels their way, through scroll, magic item, whatever, to neutralize whatever buffs, specifically anti-lycanthrope or otherwise, they may have put up, and proceed to eat their faces.

To answer your question, no, I can't think of anything, but if you have access to Savage Species, I feel like there may be something of the sort in there.

Invader
2012-05-13, 01:06 AM
One of the easiest things is better optimize their feats other than whats in the MM.

I think magic items are hard because whenever lycanthropes change they don't keep any of their equipment on. Of course there are plenty of ways to get by that and its easy enough to create you own magic items;

Ring of DR changing - Changes the type of DR a creature has to something else.

Potion of potent lycanthropy - When a lycan drinks this potion the save DC for contracting the lycanthropy disease increases by 2, 4 etc.

EDIT* These aren't real items, I was just sing them as an example of what you could do.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-13, 01:15 AM
Argh I feel like a moron.

Well. Hmmm. Just optimize a Lycanthrope using that guide ahead of time... but in general, useful magic items -- especially things that impact the action economy, and which allow debuffs and battlefield control -- would be great. Useful magic items and alchemical items are useful magic items, you know?

What sort of Lycanthrope and Base Race and Class is it?

nedz
2012-05-13, 01:34 AM
I think magic items are hard because whenever lycanthropes change they don't keep any of their equipment on. Of course there are plenty of ways to get by that and its easy enough to create you own magic items;

Ring of DR changing - Changes the type of DR a creature has to something else.

Potion of potent lycanthropy - When a lycan drinks this potion the save DC for contracting the lycanthropy disease increases by 2, 4 etc.

EDIT* These aren't real items, I was just sing them as an example of what you could do.

What you're angling at here is something akin to wilding clasps, and yes I know they don't work in this case.

The best defence is probably tactical. Use various deceptions to have them attack a fake target and then ambush them afterwards.

Tokuhara
2012-05-13, 08:37 AM
Dumb question:

Let's say a party has a Human Werewolf Totemist. He has his soulmelds shaped, and then goes hybrid form. Do his soulmelds stay?

Acanous
2012-05-13, 08:51 AM
Pretty sure soulmelds do stay.

Were-creatures can get a lot of use out of environment, especially in the dark. Make use of your Scent ability, try to split the party and tackle them one at a time. Hit and run, a lot.

Amidus Drexel
2012-05-13, 08:12 PM
Yeah, ambush tactics are probably your best option if the party is going to be well-prepared.