PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Familiar suggestions

GraakosGraakos
2012-05-13, 01:52 PM
I've rolled a Hexblade to be our party's tank and debuff utility, and I was wondering what familiar I should get. I'm Neutral perfect, but I'm not married to any alignment, although I want to avoid evil. I already have a Dark Companion.

My DM was telling me I should go with the whole Dragon familiar thing, going for a Bronze dragon. He said he'd let me upgrade it to large size (with a bonus to its str and con as usual) to use as a mount (he suggested this, no lie) but that it would still be young for spell like abilities and HD and such.

I was looking at other forums and threads, and they said Winter Wolf is hilariously good, and a giant Direwolf would be awesome, since my guy's name is Stark already. Also, they get like, bananas trip and a breath weapon and immunity to things, along with some BA feats.

So what do you all suggest? Any experience with familiars as a hexblade? I'm reading the handbooks for both familiars and Hexblades, and just can't decide. Also, do I have to take Obtain Familiar if I go Dragon Familiar?

Answerer
2012-05-13, 02:01 PM
Doesn't the Dark Companion replace the Hexblade's familiar?

If you can, get another Dark Companion. They're the only familiars that are particularly significant. Which dragon are you referring to? Do you have Improved Familiar or something?

Of the standard Sor/Wiz familiars, Raven's the best because it can speak and fly. If it's in play, the Hummingbird is excellent too, since it gives +3 to Initiative.

GraakosGraakos
2012-05-13, 02:05 PM
Dark Companion does replace a Hexblade's familiar, but through Obtain Familiar, you can get a familiar anyways. Since Hexblades don't get a whole lot of feats that help them (that I've seen and am allowed to get, since we can't use Flaws, Traits, or Regionals) I was going to pop one to get a better familiar to use in combat.

In the Draconomicon you can obtain a draconic familiar based on caster level. Since I'm lvl 10, I'd be shooting for a Bronze.

I don't know if you need the "Obtain Familiar" feat AND the "Dragon Familiar" feat if you traded your familiar for another class feature. If so, it's not a big deal, I'd just like to know.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-13, 02:08 PM
If you can, get another Dark Companion. They're the only familiars that are particularly significant. Which dragon are you referring to? Do you have Improved Familiar or something?

I'd argue with that. Improved familiars are particularly awesome, such as Cuor or Imps. They have hands/speak, tongues at will, and spell like abilities. They can do any skill you can do or assist.

Obtain Familiar feat is amazing for classes that don't usually get a familiar btw. I think it could be used if you already gave up the first familiar, and if you already have one dark companion its probably more than enough in battle utility.

To answer, if it says a familiar is needed, you need a familiar... Otherwise your just skipping ahead to a dragon aren't you? is that really fair in your mind?

Answerer
2012-05-13, 02:11 PM
The OP didn't specify that he was working with Improved Familiar; I'd assumed he meant vs. the basic ones. I don't really know enough about Imp. Familiar.

GraakosGraakos
2012-05-13, 02:17 PM
Otherwise your just skipping ahead to a dragon aren't you? is that really fair in your mind?

True, I guess I didn't really think about that.

And no, I'm not familiar with familiars at all, since I've never had one before. I usually play a Rogue or Fighter, so I've never really used them before.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-13, 02:17 PM
The OP didn't specify that he was working with Improved Familiar; I'd assumed he meant vs. the basic ones. I don't really know enough about Imp. Familiar.

Ahh, should look at it. I think its pretty cool. You get to replace your familiar with another one based on caster level. The choices are pretty nifty, if sometimes a little broken. Its very nice for roleplaying values, and the choices only expand between a few sourcebooks. The exaulted ones are my favorite, Cuore are essentially legend of zelda faeries.

You don't need it for dragon familiar though. Thats a very nice deal!(you do however, need a familiar to replace)

zagan
2012-05-13, 03:07 PM
If you're looking for familiar I suggest looking as this handy list: www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187251

If you go with Improved familiar the one from Complete warrior might interest you because they have a BaB requirment that you met without much trouble.
The hypogryff can make for a very nice mount for example. Another option could be a familair that posses poison because it would go well with your debuff.

Treblain
2012-05-13, 03:49 PM
Howler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/howler.htm) is a pretty good improved familiar option for combat, and its quills are a good debuff that fits the Hexblade well.

Dragon familiar isn't that great IIRC.