PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Cleric [Pathfinder]

Rapidghoul
2012-05-13, 02:52 PM
The PF group I GM is rolling up new characters so one of the players can try his hand at running a campaign. Everyone had specific roles they did/didn't want to play, so I said I would fill in the gaps of the party.

We have a BSF (Barbarian Warforged Juggernaut), a supporty-skill-face (non-combat Half-Elf Bard), a blaster (arcane summon/damage Necromancer), and a ranged damager (Ranger).

We have no tank, no healer, and no trap monkey. So that's me.

Here's what I have to work with:
Level 7 start.
2 traits, 2 flaws, +1 LA (CR) for free.
Very good-vs-evil.
My rolls are 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18.
Pathfinder materials are open, and 3.5 stuff can be asked about if it's not overwritten by PF material, though certain things are restricted based on campaign setting.

I've more or less settled on playing a Middle-Aged Half-Celestial Dwarf Cleric (in the end I lose one level to the template). I'm allocating my stats to be STR 10, DEX 14, CON 22, INT 13, WIS 26, CHA 13.
I'm debating on Merciful Healer and Crusader for archetypes. I'll pick up Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment [Kobold/Trap Domain]) to be the trap monkey, so that's basically covered. I'll take Scribe Scroll and/or Craft Wand for extra access to spells, but beyond that I'm a little at a loss.

I don't know how much I want to focus on tanking compared to healing. Should I just pump my AC through the roof and focus all on healing? Is it worth taking Improved / Greater Trip since I'll have access to flails and a guisarme? Will I have enough CC from spells that I can just spend all my feats on healing like Reach Spell and Selective Channeling? I'm willing to dip another level out if need be (taking 5 Cleric, 1 LA, 1 dip class) if it's worth it and would be flavorful / fun. Any suggestions on how to build tanky cleric given the info above would be much appreciated :smallbiggrin: