PDA

View Full Version : what is left for me?

killianh
2012-05-13, 05:36 PM
Gonna start playing in a new campaign soon and I'm wondering what is there really left for me to play?

The party is:(gestalt)
scout\\Ninja (perception and social Skill monkey, range damage)
StP Erudite\\Archivist (healbot, utility)
Sorcerer\\Warmage (blaster)
Warblade\\factotum (trap skill monkey, melee)

Its pretty rounded, plus we have an at table rule that you can't do what another play is doing and do it better i.e. I can't build a better range\skill monkey then the scout\\ninja because that defeats the point of their character.

What can I build that doesn't step on any toes?

nedz
2012-05-13, 05:50 PM
Gonna start playing in a new campaign soon and I'm wondering what is there really left for me to play?

The party is:(gestalt)
Sorcerer\\Warmage (blaster)
Warblade\\factotum (trap skill monkey, melee)

Its pretty rounded, plus we have an at table rule that you can't do what another play is doing and do it better i.e. I can't build a better range\skill monkey then the scout\\ninja because that defeats the point of their character.

What can I build that doesn't step on any toes?

Choosing last in a gestalt game with your house rule is always going to be hard.
You don't seem to have a Buffer or a Controller ?
You don't seem to have a Summoner or an Illusionist ?
Bard//Sorceror maybe ?

Averis Vol
2012-05-13, 05:53 PM
bard//barbarian fear de-buffer?

pffh
2012-05-13, 05:53 PM
You could go for a tank type possibly something like Crusader/Cleric or Crusader/Sorcerer using spells for long term buffs and minor battlefield control while you go to town with maneuvers.

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-13, 05:54 PM
Wizard//Factotum God?

Averis Vol
2012-05-13, 05:56 PM
Wizard//Factotum God?

doesn't that step on everyone's toes? :smallbiggrin:

gorfnab
2012-05-13, 06:02 PM
Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 // Crusader 20 - party buffer and face. Dragonfire Inspiration (Inspire Courage Optimization) + Clarion Commander + Song of the White Raven.

Flickerdart
2012-05-13, 06:06 PM
Your "ranged" character only shoots from 30 feet away, and your singular melee character won't be able to stop anything from just walking over and eating him. Something with either battlefield control (to stop the baddies yourself) or summoning (to make more bodies that do it for you) would help the party.

Alternatively, focus on buffs. Can never have too many buffs.

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-13, 06:09 PM
doesn't that step on everyone's toes? :smallbiggrin:

No. It casts Wish, removing the toes from all the mere mortals in his vicintity from existance. Then Shapechanges into something with very large feet and stands where the aforementioned toes used to be.

LansXero
2012-05-13, 06:17 PM

Shouldnt this have clown-sized toes? I mean, seriously...

nedz
2012-05-13, 06:27 PM
I've just spotted that your Scout//Ninja is down as social skill monkey.
How are they doing this ?

This would seem to rule out any kind of Bard or even Marshal since they could effortlessly steal this role.

Man on Fire
2012-05-13, 06:32 PM
Paladin/Sorceror or Paladin of Freedom/Bard (party face), Druid/Monk (Buffer and summoner, additional meele in a way that won't suprass meele guy because he has skills, you are bear who knows kung-fu)

Or something with a Psion, because well, you're a Psion.

Randomguy
2012-05-13, 07:37 PM
Remember that there's nothing wrong with having more then one melee character in a party, especially if they focus on different things, such as charging vs. tripping.

You could go with a Sorcerer//Paladin build, focusing on tripping or maybe charging, to shore up melee, provide a little extra healing of necessary and provide a bit of extra buffing for everyone.

Alternatively, maybe Beguiler//Duskblade, for illusions, enchantment, and more melee. Beguiler adds skill points and utility casting to duskblade, and duskblade adds combat capability to beguiler. Although this might step on the Factblade's toes a little.

You could gestalt a melee class, probably paladin or hexblade but possibly sneak attack variant fighter, with warlock, go into hellfire warlock and use your eldritch glaive as your main weapon. Don't forget to spend a feat to bind Naberious and get rid of that ability damage. You're melee with some ranged options and some backup casting.

You could try filling up one side with some LA, to make things more interesting.

killianh
2012-05-13, 10:02 PM
I've been thinking of a warlock\\marshall so far based on the idea of the suggestions. Would that work with my group do you think?

Averis Vol
2012-05-13, 10:22 PM
I've been thinking of a warlock\\marshall so far based on the idea of the suggestions. Would that work with my group do you think?

depends, thats kind of broad, whats the specs. what role does he/she fill and all that good junk?

killianh
2012-05-13, 10:34 PM
depends, thats kind of broad, whats the specs. what role does he/she fill and all that good junk?

Haven't rolled up specs yet but it would end up being a party booster\melee with both warlock invocations and marshal auras attuned to CHA with enough health to play a bit of a backup melee. On a quick look through though it seems that warlock\\knight might be better

Averis Vol
2012-05-13, 10:47 PM
yea but knights have that pesky little code of honor thing that negates you from doing anything fun, plus it shoe horns you into the lawful evil alignment. imo stick to warlock//marshal it will do the booster job much better, though i have very little knowledge of all three classes so i might be missing something important.

Tvtyrant
2012-05-13, 10:50 PM
I don't see any shapeshifters or crafters in that group!

Wildshape Ranger 5/MoMF 10/Warshaper 5//Artificer 20

It lets you use one side entirely for Prcing, you use wildling clasps to keep your equipment as you jump forms, and you make everyone else a ton of items. Making other people items is like being a buff-bot whose buffs are permanent.

Strormer
2012-05-13, 11:54 PM
Bard//Summoner

Make a tank eidolon and buff the s*** out of it. :smallsmile:

danzibr
2012-05-14, 07:58 AM
Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 // Crusader 20 - party buffer and face. Dragonfire Inspiration (Inspire Courage Optimization) + Clarion Commander + Song of the White Raven.
I second this.

Telonius
2012-05-14, 08:54 AM
I like the Artificer idea. Bard//Artificer would be a terrific support-character, also capable of Face duties as well as some divinations.

Chained Birds
2012-05-14, 09:56 AM
Samurai (CW) // Monk

You'll be filling out the Vendeta role. You run into combat, and die almost instantly without accomplishing much. Then your allies get a morale boost to take vengence out on those that violently maimed and/or slew you.

You will be payed in True Ressurections. :smallsmile:

eggynack
2012-05-14, 10:22 AM

This seems like it could be a slight problem. It's pretty much as wide as power level gaps go as far as I'm concerned. If balance isn't an issue, I'm going to second wizard/factotum, because they're awesome. Also, they don't seem to explicitly step on anyone's toes, except for maybe the erudite who is unlikely to feel the pain. It might be a good idea to convince the scout//ninja to stop being one, because they're likely to be outclassed by everyone in the party.

prufock
2012-05-14, 10:38 AM
Battlefield Control should be your bread and butter in this group. AoE conjuration spells, illusions, walls of force, summons, etc.

Roguenewb
2012-05-14, 10:50 AM
How about the old stand by:

Some Nasty Monters HD and LA//Some Amazing class. Black Ethergaunt maybe?

Curmudgeon
2012-05-14, 11:15 AM
Bard//Marshal: all buffing, all the time.

Rubik
2012-05-14, 12:23 PM
What about using commoner with Infested with Chickens and make a necromancer who uses a Fell Drain Consumptive Field with that feat that makes your undead explode into negative energy when they die.

Specialize in zombie hen grenades. Pretty sure nobody else will be doing it.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-14, 12:27 PM
Just a thought, but in a 5 man game you shouldn't be using gestalt should you? its meant to help fill the gaps in a group made of very few people isn't it?

Edit: My votes for Cloistered Cleric/Bard or Monk/Cloistered Cleric btw, A skillmonkey/battlefield support/buff of an entirely different sort. Knowledge/face skills instead of dungeoning.

Rubik
2012-05-14, 12:33 PM
Oh, and pretty much everyone's going to outshine the scout//ninja, even people who aren't built for the role.

A single summons spell and he might as well go grab a Mountain Dew, 'cuz he's already outclassed.

ninjamaster1991
2012-05-14, 12:45 PM
I second (or third) the Tank idea. Wizards (and healbots, and Perception people, and... ... ) are squishy.

Essence_of_War
2012-05-14, 12:48 PM
Crusader // Incarnate

The other melee guy does damage, but you focus on lock-down, battlefield control and tanking. Be a goliath, and try to fillout the feat lines:

Power Attack -> Imp. Bullrush -> Knockback
Imp. Trip -> Knockdown
Combat Reflexes
Robilar's Gambit
Defensive Sweep
Shape Soulmeld: Mauling Gauntlets

Be a straight incarnate on one side, and use Bbn 2/ Monk 2/ Fighter 2 to help you fill in the feats on the Crusader side. You'll feel completely different from the other melee people.

Edit:
*Scratches head* Someone is being a sorcerer//warmage???

Philistine
2012-05-14, 02:45 PM
Apparently, yes. They have a Sorc//Warmage, a Ninja//Scout, and an Archivist//StP Erudite. And the Ninja//Scout is the party Face! Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? The only really good gestalt combo out of the bunch is Warblade//Factotum - even the Archidite, despite being a gestalt of two T1 classes, is going to suffer from overlapping features (including having two "active" classes) more than it benefits from synergies.

If I were to guess, I'd say this was a seriously low-op group dinking around with gestalt for the first time ever. This is also implied by the "no toe-stepping" houserule, combined with the fact that most of the players apparently plan (to attempt) to fill multiple roles. And by the inclusion of, say, healbot as a vital role to fill.

Suggested roles for the OP would be battlefield control - Druid, Psion, or Wizard would go well here, maybe with //Monk for the passive defenses... and if you can get either the Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk feats approved, you can run your Monk features off Int. Or consider buffing, with Bard//Marshal, //Crusader, or //Favored Soul - though you'd have to actively work at not taking over the Face role from the spectacularly ill-suited Ninja//Scout.

Essence_of_War
2012-05-15, 10:43 AM
Well...at least the Warblade//Factotum is going to be in for a pleasant surprise at how well those two work together :smallamused:

Chronos
2012-05-15, 12:33 PM
I'm concerned about balance, too. A ninja//scout basically isn't even Gestalt at all, since he's getting almost the same thing from both sides-- He'll only be slightly better than a single-classed scout or a single-classed ninja. And he's not even choosing very good skillmonkey classes to use, anyway.

grarrrg
2012-05-15, 01:13 PM
Samurai (CW) // Monk

:smallfrown:
Beat me to it.
Although my tag line was going to be along the lines of "you won't step on, or near, ANYONE's toes".