PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 3e Questions

Fable Wright
2012-05-13, 09:25 PM
So, I was checking out Shadowrun 3e Core Rulebook, and when I was going through it, a couple of questions came to mind:

As a magic-using character, is there any reason to not get a Sustaining Focus on Increase Reflexes +3 immediately?
For a lot of the spells, such as Heal, Invisibility, Mask, and the Elemental Manipulation spells, is there any reason to have a Focus greater than 1 in any of them, aside from getting rid of spell defense and/or defense against dispelling?
As a Sorcerer/melee character, should I get a gun, even if I'm using Elemental Manipulation spells?
How important is Astral Projecting and Conjuring spirits?
What, exactly, do Weapon Foci do? Aside from bypass Spirit defenses, that is.
Would you/your GMs allow starting characters to have Monofilament Whips? If so, with what stipulations?
How do you optimize Initiative?
What penalties are there for mages having an essence of 5? There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to decreasing magic aside from taking lethal drain rather than nonlethal drain on high-focus spells...
What are some good cyber augments?
How important is it to have driving skills?
How useful are Detect Thoughts/Control Thoughts/Influence?
What general advice would you give to someone just starting Shadowrun?

Thanks in advance!

Crow
2012-05-13, 10:08 PM
As a magic-using character, is there any reason to not get a Sustaining Focus on Increase Reflexes +3 immediately?

Not really. If you get it at force 1 it will be really easy to dispel though.

For a lot of the spells, such as Heal, Invisibility, Mask, and the Elemental Manipulation spells, is there any reason to have a Focus greater than 1 in any of them, aside from getting rid of spell defense and/or defense against dispelling?

The number of boxes you can heal is limited by force (force 6 for 6 boxes, etc), Force for invisibility and mask is what people viewing you roll against to see the illusion, and the force on elemental manipulation spells is what the target rolls against to resist the damage.

As a Sorcerer/melee character, should I get a gun, even if I'm using Elemental Manipulation spells?

Yes, especially as elemental manipulation spells have higher drain than other combat-oriented options. Having a gun gives you another option. Also, it can help with not immediately standing out as the mage and getting shot first.

How important is Astral Projecting and Conjuring spirits?

This is dependent upon the individual game, but generally can be very important/useful.

What, exactly, do Weapon Foci do? Aside from bypass Spirit defenses, that is.

Give you one extra die per force on your skill when you use the weapon. It will also accompany you when you astrally project.

Would you/your GMs allow starting characters to have Monofilament Whips? If so, with what stipulations?

I would if the character had a good story as to why he has it. Chances are he will just get gunned down leaving cover to run up to guys to use it, so no big deal. Plus if he gets into melee, there's no big problem with him being good at it. As I said, most combat will be at range.

How do you optimize Initiative?

Wired reflexes or boosted reflexes is the easiest. Then there is magic, but it generally requires two hard-draining spells. Adepts can get a magic version of the cyberware style init boosters.

What penalties are there for mages having an essence of 5? There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to decreasing magic aside from taking lethal drain rather than nonlethal drain on high-focus spells...

Not much of a downside except the drain issue. It does affect the range of your spells though. You can take an easy geas to make up for it though if your GM allows. I wouldn't sweat it as it can add a lot of useful cyber options.

What are some good cyber augments?

Depends on the character.

How important is it to have driving skills?

Very important for riggers. In a riggerless group, it can be important if things go south and you need to get away.

How useful are Detect Thoughts/Control Thoughts/Influence?

Very, depending on the game.

What general advice would you give to someone just starting Shadowrun?

Don't sweat losing characters, and avoid combat if you can. In our group, if we end up in a pitched firefight, we've already botched something up...unless the job was to start that firefight.

Fable Wright
2012-05-14, 08:51 AM
Another big question: How can I prevent someone from using my Permanent spells from Astral Tracking me? From the way the skill is worded, if I even lay a Heal spell once, someone can track me with it...

Crow
2012-05-14, 11:56 AM
I could be wrong, since it's been a while since it came up.

But I believe the signiture dissipates (force) hours after the spell ends. In the case of permanant spells, once the spell is cast, it is considered ''over'' and the signiture begins dissipating.

I think.

Fable Wright
2012-05-14, 12:30 PM
I could be wrong, since it's been a while since it came up.

But I believe the signiture dissipates (force) hours after the spell ends. In the case of permanant spells, once the spell is cast, it is considered ''over'' and the signiture begins dissipating.

I think.

All I could find in the rules was that Astral Tracking always started at Target 4, and each subsequent attempt increased by 2 per hour after the initial search attempt.