PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Spell Turrets?

Red_Dog
2012-05-14, 07:59 AM
So this is a conceptual question.

How would a character go about Disabling several Spell Turrets.

Lets say, a character has at most 3 levels of Trapsmith[Dungeonscape] and the Spell Turret is packing lvl5 spells [Perhaps Cacophonic Burst as an loud "alarm", than 3 damaging spells like Arc Lighting or something. Simple set up].

Spell Turret has 120ft proximity Trigger and True Sight/Non-detection.

Besides "smash with jagged rebar", what other solutions can one implement to find & avoid/disable these?

Thanks in advance ^^

Telonius
2012-05-14, 08:44 AM
You could use a variation on Barbarian Trapfinding. Lash together several ten-foot-poles, and tie a rock onto the end of one. Cast Widened Silence on the rock. Then, get your party Sneak/oafish barbarian/gnome/kender/etc to hold the pole. You'll eventually set off the turret, but since the Silenced stone is going to be close to the source of the spell, the alarm will be negated. Assuming you survive the trigger, take a step back and assess the situation. If it's possible to create a Wall of Iron (or otherwise block the turret's line of sight), do so and bypass it. Stone Shape to make a 1-inch thick "fake rock" to cover the party is a favorite of mine. If that's not possible either, stay back and snipe at it with long-range spells or Dispel attempts. An Antimagic Field centered on you should allow you to approach and thoroughly disable the trap.

cagemarrow
2012-05-14, 09:40 AM
Depending on the size of the turret a bucket with some sovereign glue along the upper lip. Move in close very carefully, place bucket over the turret, and press firmly to the ceiling or floor. Range and true sight don't matter anymore now that it's line of sight is blocked. :)

This could be handled with any number of forms of telekinesis, or summon spells. Any idea what will trigger the proximity alarm? living creatures, movement, etc? Once you know the trigger the rest is easy.

Togo
2012-05-14, 11:53 AM
I usually use a cloak, cloth or tarp covered in molasses.

Set off some smokesticks, eversmoking bottle or just build a big fire. Cover the area in smoke. It can no longer see you.

Stroll up to the turret. Stick cloth to the turret. Turret no longer has line of sight, or line of effect, and thus can't detect anyone, or target spells.

Don't forget to dig it out later and sell it, since they can cost a quarter of a million or more.

Spellturrets, in my experience, fall under the heading of 'broken' as in 'rules do not work as intended'. They're just too easy to circumvent.

Red_Dog
2012-05-14, 12:30 PM
Hmmm those are all cool tricks...

The thing is, I was hoping to get something more along the lines =>

"As a Trapsmith, use this ability to counter it".

I know a trick of my own, which is fairly simple. They are programed to attack certain things, and true sight doesn't help with mundane disguise. So, stealing/bluffing/interrogating a list of "targets" out of someone and than disguising yourself as a "safe target" works wonders.

Throwing a maxed fireballs in its general direction until its dead helps just as much. But I was helping for more elegant & combat friendly solutions.

It seems that I might have to just take turrets out of the game as they seem to be very "all or nothing" objects...

*Perhaps using Shape Stone all around the turret? But how can one Find it at 120ft distance? Clairvoyance that Trapsmith have doesn't help it seems? Can one perform Search Skill checks thru Clairvoyance?O_0 That would be kewl.

P.S. I am making some Special Forces Goblins who will most likely be a mix of a CAdv Ninja[just because I haven't used that class in ages], Fighter and Trapsmith as "Saboteurs". And I wantd to give them some targets.

I guess, I'll just outfit them full of Kobold Mines, Alchemist fire/Acid, Some Blast disks & adamantine "can opener" of some sort and call it a day...

ninjamaster1991
2012-05-14, 12:34 PM
You mean besides using gratuitous (or non-gratuitous, but that's no fun) explosives?

There's always the block-line-of-sight thing, but, to get some fun out of it, you could sneak around it somehow, then lead 'Mr. Big Boss', or, really any enemy, into its range. Alternatively, if you know who made it, then you could Disguise Self into that person and disable it as him.

If I got something wrong, that's my fault. I'm just going on information found off of a quick Google search.

nedz
2012-05-14, 02:10 PM
Use the Force, or almost any wall spell really.

Passwall, Phasedoor
Teleport, Dimension door

Any particular level for this challange to be set for ?