PDA

View Full Version : Storytime

pendell
2012-05-14, 11:10 AM
Nightwish releases Storytime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws__R9AGDc&feature=plcp) on their official channel, complete with lyrics. I enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy being here -- because we're people who have stories in our hearts and are looking for something bigger than the world we actually inhabit.

If you like symphonic metal, enjoy! If it's not your style of music .. well, maybe you'll see what you're missing.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mx.Silver
2012-05-14, 11:38 AM
If it's not your style of music .. well, maybe you'll see what you're missing.

The answer: not much :smalltongue:

Helanna
2012-05-16, 09:14 PM
Nightwish releases Storytime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws__R9AGDc&feature=plcp) on their official channel, complete with lyrics. I enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy being here -- because we're people who have stories in our hearts and are looking for something bigger than the world we actually inhabit.

If you like symphonic metal, enjoy! If it's not your style of music .. well, maybe you'll see what you're missing.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

First off: THANK YOU. I've been listening to a lot of Nightwish lately and I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about this. Mostly because I listen to my music in the car when I have nothing else to do but over-analyze stuff. :smalltongue: But yeah, that's basically what I came up with. The whole theme that stories can shape us and introduce us to experiences we'd never have ourselves.

This is a theme that comes up a lot in Nightwish, and is one of the reasons I like the songwriter, Tuomas, so much. This theme, that of stories shaping us, comes up in a bunch of his songs, including another on the album - I Want My Tears Back. Sample lyrics:

Where is the wonder, where's the awe?
Where's dear Alice knocking on the door?
Where's the trapdoor that takes me there,
Where the real is shattered by a Mad March Hare?

Where is the wonder, where's the awe?
Where are the sleepless nights I used to live for?

How many of us used to read fantasy books when we were younger, or even not so young, and just wish that something amazing would happen to us? How many of us spent our childhoods wishing that we could be the heroes, that we could be sucked into these amazing worlds of adventure? How many of us spent countless nights up, reading and dreaming and thinking and wishing?

I've been getting sucked into some epic fantasy lately, and it's still the same. Except now I realize I'm largely reading so I can have these amazing experiences through the characters. I'm never going to be a great leader, master swordsman, or a magic user. That would be amazing, but it won't happen. But I can get pretty close by just losing myself in a good book.

So . . . uh, yeah, thanks for giving me an excuse to ramble on all these thoughts I've been having lately, none of which is news to anyone. Especially since you summed it up in like a sentence.

Also, Rest Calm is the best song on that album, followed by Last Ride of the Day and The Crow, the Owl and the Dove. And if you're into instrumentals, Imaginaerum is pretty epic. Just saying. (I really love this album.)

Feytalist
2012-05-17, 01:31 AM
Anette's voice is growing on me.

I'd also like to see the Imaginaerum film sometime.

pendell
2012-05-17, 10:34 AM
How many of us used to read fantasy books when we were younger, or even not so young, and just wish that something amazing would happen to us?

Used to! I *still* do. Do more than wish, also. Strive to make it happen.

My last attempt involved applying to work at D-tree (http://www.d-tree.org/). They were writing a cell phone application which would function as a diagnostic aid for medical personnel in the third world. Sometimes, when you're on the ground in a village in Tanzania, you don't have room for a van full of medical reference books but want more than your own native wits when looking at the spots on a person's arm. These phone apps would provide that reference.

Regrettably, I wasn't able to take that job because it involved relocating to Tanzania. While I would have been fine with that, my wife has been in the hospital repeatedly in the last few years and really needs first world medical care. And so far as I'm concerned, an adventure's not an adventure if my best buddy can't come.

Does this mean I'm giving up? Not a chance. It just means I need to keep looking. There's more opportunity for adventure now than there's ever been in the history of the world. Whether it's climbing Kilimanjaro or protecting merchant ships from Somali pirates or missionary work or working for an NGO, there's more opportunity for ordinary people to go out and do things than ever in history. It's just a matter of finding one that we're suited to. So we keep looking. I've been looking for years, but I won't give up until I find something or die.

Respectfully,

Brian P.