PDA

View Full Version : Flying with out magic, and flying with sorta magic.

Metahuman1
2012-05-14, 02:08 PM
Ok, so I'm curious. Other then the fly spell or magic effects that effectively emulate it such as Invocations, what good ways are there to attain a fly speed? Bonus kudos if you can point me toward one's that either don't require a specific race, get me perfect maneuverability, and get me at least 30ft speed or better. =)

Diarmuid
2012-05-14, 02:29 PM
So you're asking for 30' Perfect flying that doesnt involve:

A) Race
B) Magic
C) Emulating Magic

Not trying to be a pain here, but what else is there? Are items viable or is that "emulating magic"?

hamishspence
2012-05-14, 02:32 PM
How about buying a flying mount?

Eloel
2012-05-14, 02:32 PM
there's bound to be a graft somewhere out there

Draz74
2012-05-14, 02:44 PM
Phoneix Cloak, Magic Item Compendium. Done. Meets all your requirements. But costs 50k gp.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-14, 02:46 PM
The cheapest and easiest way to get non-magical flight at land speed with perfect manoeuvrability is being an aasimar or tiefling with four feats:

Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline (available from level 3 onwards, unless you take a class with all 3 good saves), from Races of Faerun.
Outsider Wings (available from level 6 onwards, unless you take a class with all 3 good saves), from Races of Faerun.
Then take Improved Flight twice (from Races of the Wild; it's debatable if you can take it more than once, consult your DM).

Failing that, become an incorporeal undead (there are templates for that, if not, use oslecamo's racial classes), that nets you perfect flight speed right off the bat.

There are boots of flight, but they are quite expensive (and may also count as magical or at least quasi-magical?).

Diarmuid
2012-05-14, 02:51 PM
I guess all those replies make me feel better as all but one (the mount) involve either races or magic. The graft is the closest thing to meeting his requirements I suppose, but grafts IMO are just differently flavored magic items.

hamishspence
2012-05-14, 02:54 PM
The flying machines in Arms & Equipment Guide might straddle the line between magic and mundane- I think the airship in particular is buoyant through mundane means (gas) but propelled through magic means (elemental-powered propellers).

Slipperychicken
2012-05-14, 03:44 PM
Feathered Wings Graft, Fiend Folio for 10k. It actually attaches wings to your back, so it's totally nonmagical, even including an (Ex) tag. Gives either Good or Average maneuverability, fly speed at double your land speed, and makes you save against turning evil if you aren't already.

With some refluffing/reskinning, you could basically be an angel.

Know how to cast Polymorph, then Assume Supernatural Ability (feat) to get (Su)pernatural flight as [creature of your choice].

Igneel
2012-05-14, 03:46 PM
Feathered Wings Graft from Fiend Folio gets you x2 Land speed/Average man. for 10k. Also get another use for Bluff while in battle. If your good you need to make a Will DC 15 check daily or do something evil that might make you change alignments.

Membranous Wing Graft from Fiend Folio gets you x2 Land speed/Average man. for 50k. Also gains Fire/Cold Resist 10

Buffeting Wings Graft from Races of the Dragon gets you Land Speed/Average man. for 100k. Also gets you 2 secondary Slam attacks. Lose some HP and -2 Dex.

Obtaining the Dragonblood subtype + Dragon Wings feat + Improved Dragon Wings gets you 30ft/Average man. by 12th level.

Use Magic Device check to 'Emulate Race' while wearing Horseshoes of Flame from Savage Species to be a 'horse' and be able to transform into a Nightmare 3/day, 7 hours/use for 90ft Fly/Good, +2 Dex/+10 Int/+6 Cha (untyped) all for 30,240gp.

Leadership/Dragon Cohort/Wild Cohort/Undead Leadership for a flight capable mount.

Ring of Solar Wings is probably the most expensive/fastest flight capable magic item I know of costing 118k but gets you 150ft/Good Man.

Then templates like Winged, Dragonborn, Half-Dragon/Fiend/Celestrial/Fey (if Large for Dragon), Dragonspawn [Dragonlance]. Mileage may vary.

[B]Edit: 5 levels of Shapeshifter Druid [PH2] gets you the Aerial Form with 60ft/Good Man. at-will basically.

Metahuman1
2012-05-14, 05:06 PM
I feel I should clerify something.

The idea of doing it with out race, spellcasting or pseudo spell casting was an absolute optimal scenario. I honestly would have been shocked if anyone had had an answer that fit all three.

Having said that, a buddy of mine threw an idea at me, but I want to bounce it off the play ground now.

Take the Draconic Heritage feat from Races of the Dragon, then the dragon wings line of feats. Then, either Dip Incarnate or pick up the necessary feats to bind Pegasus Sandles. The wings give you the flight speed, and the Pegasus sandles say they grant perfect maneuverability but do not specify that the flight to which they grant the maneuverability must be from the sandles themselves.

Would that actually work?