PDA

View Full Version : 1st level desert island escape

Rift_Wolf
2012-05-14, 03:43 PM
You're stuck on a desert island at 1st level. You can see land about ten miles away. You can be any Pathfinder class or PC race.
Are there any wizard/druid shortcuts I'm not aware of to completely circumvent the ten mile swim or having to make a raft?

Mari01
2012-05-14, 04:40 PM
You're stuck on a desert island at 1st level. You can see land about ten miles away. You can be any Pathfinder class or PC race.
Are there any wizard/druid shortcuts I'm not aware of to completely circumvent the ten mile swim or having to make a raft?

A race with a swim speed and some time to spend.

Roguenewb
2012-05-14, 04:52 PM
if the druid picks a squid as his animal companion, it should be trivial to get the party across. Even if he didn't pick it, he can spend 24 hours to send away his current one and get a squid, then on the other side, spend 24 hours to send the squid back and reacquire what ever he wanted.

You can block that with rule 0, but thats what you have to do. Other than that, I can't think of anything super easy.

ngilop
2012-05-14, 05:45 PM
It depends on how much lee-way you have in rules interpreatations you give the players, that and the allowed races/variant races or templates.

but if this is a PbP here, count me interested. Survival style crazy junlge temple ala indiana jones adventures alwasy are awesome!

Need_A_Life
2012-05-14, 06:11 PM
Small-sized Druid with a Baby Roc animal companion?

Taking a Craft skill? Taking the Swim skill?

10 miles isn't all that much, so you don't even need to make a full raft (assuming no dangerous fishies :smallamused:), just a something to hang on to (in case of cramps or exhaustion).

A Summoner using an Aquatic Eidolon will probably also be fairly annoying... especially, if they use it as a mount (Small size FTW!)

Invader
2012-05-14, 06:30 PM
I have to agree with Mari. Just pick a race with swim speed and its pretty much a cake walk.

Ravens_cry
2012-05-14, 09:08 PM
I have to agree with Mari. Just pick a race with swim speed and its pretty much a cake walk.
Alternatively, Strix (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/strix), *fly* across.
You should be back on the mainland in less than two hours.

doko239
2012-05-14, 09:56 PM
A small druid with basically any animal companion that has a swim or fly speed.

A summoner with an eidolon with aquatic base form.

Assuming there's trees available, anyone with ranks in Profession (Shipwright) could make an actual rowboat with little difficulty.

Alleine
2012-05-14, 10:11 PM
Well, if pathfinder has warforged or an equivalent race screw swimming, just WALK and hope you can keep a relatively straight path.

Alternatively, an incredibly lucky/resourceful kobold might be able to dig a passage underneath the water. Gotta love Profession: Miner :smallwink:

Spuddles
2012-05-14, 10:23 PM

Except for the sharks and krakens and stuff.

Duke of URL
2012-05-15, 07:42 AM
If the 3.5 Warlock and Complete Mage are allowed, is not swimming the styx a least invocation?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-15, 08:07 AM
Rogue (Pirate).

capture two sea turtles, and using rope you crafted from your chest hairs, use the rope as reins and ride them to land whilst you stand upon their backs. Savvy?

DUH.

Rift_Wolf
2012-05-15, 08:39 AM
I probably won't be running this as a pbp, sorry to disappoint.

Most of the posts talk about swimming the distance; While these are viable, it will involve being in contact with the water, which invites attack from whatever's in the water (sharks, sahuagin, etc.)

Strix's and races with swim speeds are out; PC races only. Even if I allowed everything else in Advanced Races Guide, Strix seems somewhat problematic (Indefinite flying at 1st level?).

Small druid with Roc companion is interesting, I hadn't considered that one.

Did no-one consider a sorcerer with Floating Disk?

Profession (Shipwright) or Craft (Woodwork): I've already considered this. In fact, it's probably the way the party'll have to escape, after finding some way of distracting the aquatic monsters.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-15, 10:02 AM
Floating Disk:

1.) Says it follows you, doesn't say you can stand on it, and

2.) 1 hour/caster level duration. So... don't think that will last 10 miles at level 1.

So your floating Disk idea doesnt work. Unless you are standing on a floating disk while you whip the sorcerer to keep swimming. Which, as you mentioned, puts him in danger of being eaten, which would cause the disk to wink out of existence, causing this hypothetical Disk-riding, whip wielding character to be in danger of aforementioned aquatic dangers. Which is entirely moot, because as I said before, 1 hour duration isn't enough.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-15, 11:41 AM
<76lb Summoner with 20 Cha (for SM), and Augment Summoning, can spam all his slots on SM1 and the SM class feature, can use 16 Str Dolphins to carry him most of the way. I don't have all the math, but The Dolphins could each use the Run action carrying the Summoner and should clear about halfway.

If he can increase his CL on SM1 by one, he can clear the whole thing.

EDIT: Precocious Spellcaster trait, choose SM1, increases CL for it by one. You'll want to be a Halfling or lightweight feat-race though.

MATH:
Need to clear: 52800ft

Let's make our guy a Halfling Master Summoner with 18 Charisma and the Precocious Spellcaster(Summon Monster 1) trait. Dolphins will carry him the whole way to shore, using the Run action because they're earnest little dolphins.

Summon Monsters at CL2: 9 (5 + 4 CHA)

Dolphin distance (our summoner is a light load): 80ft (base) * 4 (run) * 20 (rounds per summon monster use) * 9 (Number of Summon Monsters) = 57600ft.

Our little guy clears the whole distance, with about 4800ft left on his dolphins. Even if he needs to waste a full round on each summon to mount/grab onto it, he still passes with 54720, with 1920ft remaining.

Rift_Wolf
2012-05-15, 12:49 PM
Floating Disk:

1.) Says it follows you, doesn't say you can stand on it, and

2.) 1 hour/caster level duration. So... don't think that will last 10 miles at level 1.

So your floating Disk idea doesnt work. Unless you are standing on a floating disk while you whip the sorcerer to keep swimming. Which, as you mentioned, puts him in danger of being eaten, which would cause the disk to wink out of existence, causing this hypothetical Disk-riding, whip wielding character to be in danger of aforementioned aquatic dangers. Which is entirely moot, because as I said before, 1 hour duration isn't enough.

The answer, therefore, is communism; come, brothers, let us stand on *each others* floating disks!

Although the spell description says it'll float behind you unless you otherwise direct. 1hr duration isn't enough for the entire distance, but you could perform multiple castings; there's no limitation on the number of floating disks you can have, so when the duration of the 1st is almost up, you create a 2nd and jump onto it. If a PC actually tried that, however, I'd probably re-enact the ending of Orca.

nedz
2012-05-15, 01:35 PM
Survival skill, or a suitable cipher: Build a raft

Randomguy
2012-05-15, 03:17 PM
If feats outside pathfinder are allowed, then aberration blood and waterspawn give you the ability to breath water and a total of +12 to swim checks. Then you just have to survive the walk.

If you allow spells outside pathfinder, there's the druid winged watcher spell from complete scoundrel, which turns the caster into an owl or raven. The spell only lasts 1 round/level, though, and you'd need to fly for about 1320 (52 800ft at 40ft/round move rate) rounds to reach land.

Let's see how long you can fly, at most. Spellgifted (transmutation) lets you cast the spell at CL 2. Versatile spellcaster + spontaneous druid varient + extend spell lets you extend it. Spontaneous druids get 4 level 0 spells and 2 level 1 spells. With 20 wisdom, (18 +2 racial, since pathfinder humans get +2 to a stat of their choice) you get 4 level 1 spells.

This means you can cast it extended 2 times (4 rounds each), and normally 2 times (2 rounds each), using versatile spellcaster for every casting. That's 12 rounds of flight in total. Alternatively, you could cast it 6 times not extended, also for 12 rounds.

Does anyone know how to get the duration of the spell/amount of castings/ fly speed any higher?

Roguenewb
2012-05-15, 03:36 PM
Like stryx, anthropomorphic bat has no RHD and LA. So again, you can use it to just fly home.

Andorax
2012-05-15, 03:41 PM
Is there any way to sneak in a 2nd level druid/2nd level bard/1st level ranger spell that anyone else knows of?

Send an Animal Messenger for help?

Slipperychicken
2012-05-15, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know how to get the duration of the spell/amount of castings/ fly speed any higher?

In 3.5, DMM: Persist would work, if you could swing some kind of level 1 flight spell, like Swift Fly or something. Just have Cha at least 18 to Persist it.

Randomguy
2012-05-15, 04:55 PM
In 3.5, DMM: Persist would work, if you could swing some kind of level 1 flight spell, like Swift Fly or something. Just have Cha at least 18 to Persist it.

I don't think there are any level 1 flight spells on the cleric spell list (swift fly isn't a cleric spell, and it's 2nd level at least for the classes that have it), though, so you'd need a way to get winged watcher onto the cleric list or Turn undead onto a druid.

An eagle animal companion is small sized. A halfling or gnome sorcerer with the ACF that swaps his familiar for an animal companion of 1/2 his druid level could cast reduce person on himself and ride the eagle to shore. Using the same tricks as I mentioned in the above post, a sorcerer could get 12 minutes of reduce person time, which is only 120 rounds, out of the 660 rounds of flying time you'd need. However, you can also pick up precocious apprentice to be able to cast rope trick, but it only lasts 2 hours, not enough time to refresh your spell slots.

Or you could play a kobold druid with the slight build racial feature, which would let you ride an eagle without casting anything. You'd be back to the mainland in an hour.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-15, 05:41 PM
That flying Hengeyokai? Dragonborn? Raptoran? Does their flight happen at level 1?

nedz
2012-05-15, 06:46 PM
Level 1 Druid takes a Shark animal companion which ferries the party ashore, one at a time. Later the Druid dismisses the Shark and gets a more appropriate companion for land based adventuring.