PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a way to turn a Su ability into an Ex or natural one?

Rubik
2012-05-14, 07:52 PM
See thread title.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-14, 08:01 PM
Wish/Miracle, maybe (DM dependant).

Find an (Ex) version of the ability and use that instead.

There's a feat in Savage Species called "Supernatural Transformation" that turns an innate (Sp) ability into a (Su) ability. See if you can homebrew a version of that (and tell your DM that there is a precedent).

Other than that, nope, not that I know (without going to Pun Pun levels, obviously).

Rubik
2012-05-14, 08:15 PM
Wish/Miracle, maybe (DM dependant).

Find an (Ex) version of the ability and use that instead.

There's a feat in Savage Species called "Supernatural Transformation" that turns an innate (Sp) ability into a (Su) ability. See if you can homebrew a version of that (and tell your DM that there is a precedent).

Other than that, nope, not that I know (without going to Pun Pun levels, obviously).Psionics is described as an innate ability (its being a class ability notwithstanding), and I used Supernatural Transformation to rid it of the power resistance, and to give me a massive manifester level boost (from 20 to 78, after I used Fusion and Astral Seed on a Gated prismatic dragon).

Now I want to turn it into an Ex ability. I suppose I could use the Origin of Species spell to create some sort of symbiont to let me change it to Ex for kicks (after all, I have over 1,000,000 followers who can help me with spell slot mitigation, but that feels like cheating).

I DO already have Initiate of Mystra to manifest in AMFs and dead magic planes, but Ex psionics is just all-around BETTER. So nyah. :smalltongue:

Shadowknight12
2012-05-14, 08:32 PM
You can't use Supernatural Transformation on psionics because it's not an innate SPELL-LIKE ability. Go re-read the feat, I'll wait.

Rubik
2012-05-14, 08:38 PM
You can't use Supernatural Transformation on psionics because it's not an innate SPELL-LIKE ability. Go re-read the feat, I'll wait.Except Ps is described as the equivalent of Sp (see: using spell-like metamagic feats on Ps abilities), and I took the magic mantle to make them directly equivalent (even more so than normal).

Shadowknight12
2012-05-14, 08:44 PM
Except Ps is described as the equivalent of Sp (see: using spell-like metamagic feats on Ps abilities), and I took the magic mantle to make them directly equivalent (even more so than normal).

Unless you found a way to turn all your psionic powers into psi-like abilities, it's still invalid, because a psionic power is not the same as a psi-like ability, even if they both do the exact same thing (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities)). And even if we're being generous and assuming that somehow you can turn all your powers into psi-like abilities, Supernatural Transformation only works on one of them at a time, so you have to take the feat once for every psi-like ability you possess.

Rubik
2012-05-14, 08:48 PM
Unless you found a way to turn all your psionic powers into psi-like abilities, it's still invalid, because a psionic power is not the same as a psi-like ability, even if they both do the exact same thing (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities)). And even if we're being generous and assuming that somehow you can turn all your powers into psi-like abilities, Supernatural Transformation only works on one of them at a time, so you have to take the feat once for every psi-like ability you possess.Psionics are ALWAYS psi-likes.

Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)
The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures). Usually, a psionic creature’s psi-like ability works just like the power of that name. A few psi-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

And "psionics" is listed as one ability under the various psionic classes.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-14, 09:03 PM
Psionics are ALWAYS psi-likes.

Um no. From the EPH:

A psionic power is a one-time psionic effect (similar in this respect to a spell). Activating a power’s effect is known as manifesting that power (the psionic version of spellcasting). Every psionic character or creature has a daily supply power points that he or she can spend to manifest powers the character has learned. A power known to a psionic character can be used as many times as he or she has power points to pay for it.

A power is manifested when a psionic character pays its power point cost. Some psionic creatures automatically manifest powers, called psi-like abilities, without paying a power point cost.

From the SRD:

A psionic power is a one-time psionic effect. Psionic characters and creatures need not prepare their powers for use ahead of time. They either have sufficient power points to manifest a power or they do not.

A power is manifested when a psionic character pays its power point cost. Some psionic creatures automatically manifest powers, called psi-like abilities, without paying a power point cost. Other creatures pay power points to manifest their powers, just as characters do.

Also from here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/overview.htm#):

Most psionic monsters have some number of psi-like abilities. These are very similar to spell-like abilities. Naturally, they are psionic and work just like powers or spells. A creature with psi-like abilities does not pay for these abilities with power points and does not pay any XP cost associated with manifesting the power the ability duplicates.

To sum up: if you're paying the power point cost, you are NOT using a psi-like ability.

And "psionics" is listed as one ability under the various psionic classes.

Yes, and many classes and PrCs have "spellcasting" listed as one ability, yet you don't see anyone using Supernatural Transformation to turn the entirely of their spells into (Su) abilities.

Furthermore, I've just proven that you can't claim "psionics" are a psi-like ability, so that's been rendered a moot point.