PDA

View Full Version : Archer Rogue Help (3.5)

Palthera
2012-05-15, 03:57 AM
I want to do a sniping archer but the hide and snipe rules don't really favour it. I'd like to be able to snipe, run to another location and dive into concealment, ready to repeat this procedure next round.

Any ideas for feats/items/class hints for creating this?

Gwendol
2012-05-15, 04:16 AM
Not sure what you are aiming for (ha!) but there are several things to consider: are you set on a rogue archer? Ranger/scouts may make better archers and snipers. Firing arrows from within 30' is a risky business.

However, for sniping the trick is to be able to hide after attacking. You can go invisible (generally best), or go for some Hide in Plain Sight ability. The Dark template offers an early entry to HiPS.

killianh
2012-05-15, 04:16 AM
how about a warlock sniper with some scout levels? Scout is probably best for move and shoot types and a dip into warlock for eldritch blast and the blast shape invocation that makes it a 250ft shot doesn't hurt either. after that it just some good sniping feats and you're solid. If you add some more Warlock levels you'll get invisibility and darkness and other invocations to help with hiding.

Maybe a Xeph as the race for the psion point so you can get the psionic shot and greater psionic shot feats that stack with the everything else

Palthera
2012-05-15, 04:41 AM
The character is already a rogue, and sneak attack seems to be the only real way to make an archer effective. I just wanted to break away from the traditional melee rogue approach and since you can't flank from range, I need to be hiding to sneak attack.

I'm thinking feats to aid with hiding, or something that means I can hide as part of a move action since I'm already most of the way to shot-on-the-run - which is starting to look like not a great choice... >.>

killianh
2012-05-15, 04:50 AM
The character is already a rogue, and sneak attack seems to be the only real way to make an archer effective.

Scout has skirmish which progresses like sneak attack except it grants the bonus if you move 10ft or more that round. If you grab Ninja you'll get ghost step which give you instant hiding. A good way around the hiding part though is to grab a ring of entangle later on to make your opponents flat footed which is all you really need.

Palthera
2012-05-15, 04:58 AM
So... it's ninja or shadow dancer then...
Shame, I was hoping there was some sort of "dive into cover" feat I could take.

Golden Ladybug
2012-05-15, 05:25 AM
Are you married to the "Bow" part of "Archer"? Because for Ranged Rogues, Crossbows are their best friends in the world. The feats Hand Crossbow Focus and Crossbow Sniper allow you to sneak attack from 60ft, and deal 1/2 Dex as extra damage (along with WF and Rapid Reload for Hand Crossbows).

After that, throw on all the standards for Archery and plunk a guy full of crossbow bolts from the shadows. If you can mess around with your character's Race, Whisper Gnomes are amazing at hiding.

Also, I think the Woodland Archer/Sniper tactical feat has some options for reducing the sniping penalties.

Palthera
2012-05-15, 05:31 AM
Which books are these from? I can always buy her a crossbow instead of her composite longbow...

dropdadgbe
2012-05-15, 10:27 AM
You may also want to take a look at the spell Sniper's Shot from the Spell Compendium (maybe also Complete Adventurer?). As a swift action you get no range limit on your next ranged sneak attack. It's a 1st level spell for Assassins and Rangers, either of which would make good sniper builds.

Yuukale
2012-05-15, 10:39 AM
There is a feat to progress Skirmish AND Sneak Attack. Your problem would be getting to SA on a full-round attack. Grease and Blink are your friends here.
I have a Swift Ambusher build:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236022

I hope you like it =)