PDA

View Full Version : We can rebuild him, we have the template

thisisnotspam
2012-05-15, 01:41 PM
Or do we?

Basicly what's going on in a campaign that i'm DMing (3,5) is that a few months ago an NPC died during a great battle. That NPC was an orc who led an attempted coup d'etat in a federation of savage tribes. The story as i'm planing it would have the PCs encounter him again, revived. However, during the battle half of his body would be destroyed and his allies, not having acces to proper healing and revival spells, would replace the missing parts with artifical(probably magical) ones and do it successfully.

Is there a template for a case like this and if so where is it?

Fyermind
2012-05-15, 01:43 PM
Half Golem from MM2

Roguenewb
2012-05-15, 01:43 PM
Not exactly like this, but how about Half-Golem. I don't know what book its in, but its half replaced with artificial stuff.

Edit: Goddamned Swordsages flipping around and getting in front of me.

Feralventas
2012-05-15, 02:13 PM
If you don't mind undeath....

The Death Knight from the Dragonlance setting books. All it requires is that the individual is willing to pledge themselves to the god of undeath. +5 Level Adjustment, tons of abilities (though some based on HD, so progression will be slow) and a heck of an intimidation factor.

Dark Creature template cuts your weight in half, so you could fluff it as his body being literally half shadow-stuff. +1 LA for a bunch of nifty stealth buffs.

Half-dragon, taken literally as his lieutenants killed a nearby young-adult dragon for some hasty surgical alterations and grafting magic.

Or for that matter there's the simple Graft magic items; I'm sure you could find one for each of his limbs and a few vestigial organs.

Unbodied from Expanded Psionics; the orc is now a floating incorporeal brain kept around for his tactical leadership? Probably not, but there it is.

hamishspence
2012-05-15, 02:16 PM
Dark Creature template cuts your weight in half, so you could fluff it as his body being literally half shadow-stuff. +1 LA for a bunch of nifty stealth buffs.

It says "In general, they also weigh less" in ToM but doesn't put a figure on how much less.

darksolitaire
2012-05-15, 02:25 PM
It's a shame those half-golems don't have level adjustments. Does anyone know if they received update in 3.5?

Agent 451
2012-05-15, 02:27 PM
You should also look at grafts. NPC lost his arm or leg? No biggie, just slap on a Fiendish Arm or Fast Leg from Fiend Folio.

Urpriest
2012-05-15, 02:28 PM
It's a shame those half-golems don't have level adjustments. Does anyone know if they received update in 3.5?

They're not supposed to be suitable for PCs, due to the chance of insanity. That said, this orc is an NPC, so LA doesn't much matter.

Dread Warrior (Unapproachable East) is another good warrior NPC->undead template.

Feralventas
2012-05-15, 02:30 PM
It says "In general, they also weigh less" in ToM but doesn't put a figure on how much less.

Quite so! My mistake. I checked the MM Umber Hulk against the one listed in the Dark Creature example, 800lbs to 600lbs. So 25% instead of 50% if we go by that.

Kalmageddon
2012-05-15, 02:47 PM
Or use implants, undead ones seem to fit. You can find them in Liber Mortis if I'm not mistaken.

killianh
2012-05-15, 04:10 PM
Make him a risen martyr, add grafts, and take away any of the good guy stuff and theme it more evil. half flesh golem would probably help too

As DM you can homebrew the hell out of everything meaning he could come back in the body of a puppy with cone breath of disintegration, with the only downside being PCs with an inherent fear of dogs. All you need to do is decide what it is, and how powerful you want it :smallamused:

thisisnotspam
2012-05-16, 04:05 PM
thnx guys, yeah those half golems look good,i could perhaps add ability to shape the new limbs into weapons Cletus Kassady style :)

Venger
2012-05-17, 11:43 PM
thnx guys, yeah those half golems look good,i could perhaps add ability to shape the new limbs into weapons Cletus Kassady style :)

(brofist)

is your bad guy carnage? is that how you're fluffing the backstory for his stuff? alien symbiote that merges with him and makes him crazy? awesome.

thisisnotspam
2012-05-18, 02:24 AM
(brofist)

is your bad guy carnage? is that how you're fluffing the backstory for his stuff? alien symbiote that merges with him and makes him crazy? awesome.

he's not carnage, but i guess he could be crazier than before because of the whole ''dude, where are my limbs'' expirience

Calanon
2012-05-18, 04:04 AM
Make him a risen martyr, add grafts, and take away any of the good guy stuff and theme it more evil.

So a Death Knight, with crappy class features and grafts :smallconfused:

This guy is planning to conquer an entire nation... He needs more fire power :smallamused: I am 100% behind the whole Death Knight notion... Besides If i recall correctly, not all Death Knights are born from a bond with an Evil God/Demon Prince and that some are simply born from Curses or by the power of an extremely powerful Necromancer

ah Lord Soth... you are even Necromancers (and anyone with the Lichloved feat) wet dream <3 *Throws out picture of Vecna from his locket and replaces it with one of Lord Soth... The picture of Vecna cries out of its right eye*