PDA

View Full Version : [Base Class] To really get rid of casters...

Phosphate
2012-05-15, 02:11 PM
...you have to actually stop them BEFORE they cast ;).

The Spellbreaker

Spellbreakers are people with innate talent for magic, that could have become sorcerers for instance, who decided to learn how to suppress the flow of magic in others rather than shape it in themselves. This, alongside with their military training and physical perfecting, makes them capable mage slayers who can just as well silence spellcasters, destroy their creations, resist everything they throw at them and even make their spells fizzle before their eyes.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Interference/Peak|
CL Penalty

1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|SR, Mage Slayer, Banishing Blow +1d6|
0 ft/ 5%|

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Dispel|
10 ft/ 5%|

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Bonus Feat, Banishing Blow +2d6|
10 ft/ 10%|

4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Mettle, Tranquil Retreat|
20 ft/ 10%|

5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Flux Armor, Banishing Blow +3d6|
20 ft/ 15%|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Harness, Shock Dispel|
30 ft/ 15%|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Banishing Blow +4d6|
30 ft/ 20%|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Wild Flux, Bonus Feat|
40 ft/ 20%|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Detection 4th, Banishing Blow +5d6|
40 ft/ 25%|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Ward Away, Greater Dispel|
50 ft/ 25%|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Clash Dispel, Banishing Blow +6d6|
50 ft/ 30%|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Hunt Resumed, Detection 3rd|
60 ft/ 30%|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Tiring Flux, Bonus Feat, Banishing Blow +7d6|
60 ft/ 35%|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|True Fatum|
70 ft/ 35%|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Detection 2nd, Banishing Blow +8d6|
70 ft/ 40%|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Disjunction|
80 ft/ 40%|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Break to Real, Banishing Blow +9d6|
80 ft/ 45%|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Detection 1st, Bonus Feat|
90 ft/ 45%|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Titan Mind, Banishing Blow +10d6|
90 ft/ 50%|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Stagnant Zone|
100 ft/ 50%|

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12

Class Skills: Bluff, Craft, Disable Device, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Use Magic Device
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Spellbreaker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and all shields (including tower shields).

Spell Resistance: Gain Spell Resistance equal to 10+1,5*class level, rounded up.

Interference: The mere presence of a spellbreaker makes casting harder for those around him. Everyone around him in a sphere with the radius given in the table gains some spell failure. This value is peaked (check table) in his square and the squares directly next to his, and then decreases by 5% for every 10 feet of distance. This spell failure applies to all spells, including spells without a somatic component and divine spells (also, in case a target has spell failure from heavy armor, the effect is cumulative).

A spellbreaker may choose to suppress or reactivate his interference as a swift action. Also, by taking a full round action, he may make the spell failure of his interference be equal to the peak value in the entire volume for 1 round.

Whenever a 5 ft square (cube) is under the interference of multiple spellbreaker interferences, use the strongest and ignore the rest.

CL Penalty: Apply the penalty to caster level from this table to all spells cast within double the interference range, except Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, and Disjunction. CL penalty does not apply if interference is being suppressed.

Banishing Blow (Su): Once per round, when you land a melee or ranged nonmagical attack against a creature that was called, summoned, or created by magic, you may deal the bonus damage listed. Additionally, if the hit deals damage equal to 1/3 the target's hit points or more, the target must roll either a Fort or Will save, at its choice, against a DC of 10+class level/2+Str mod. If it fails and was called/summoned, it is returned to its plane. If it fails and was created (such as by Create Undead or Animate Object), it is destroyed.

Mage Slayer: You gain Mage Slayer as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Dispel (Sp): You may cast Dispel Magic class level/2 (rounded down) times per day with a caster level equal to your class level.

Bonus Feat: At level 3, and every 5 levels thereafter, you may gain a bonus feat from the bonus fighter feat list.

Mettle (Ex): As the hexblade class feature.

Tranquil Retreat (Ex): A creature that provokes an AoO from a level 4 or higher Spellbreaker (even if he misses) is silenced and cannot perform any action that requires speech until the end of its round.

Flux Armor (Su): Whenever a touch or ranged touch attack is made against you, from 5th level, if the attack is a spell or a spell-like ability emulating a spell, you still add your armor bonus to AC.

Harness (Su): A level 6 or higher spellbreaker is empowered by magic within his interference. Whenever a supernatural ability that does not belong to a spellbreaker, a spell-like ability that does not emulate a spell or a level 0-2 spell is used, gain 1 charge. Whenever a spell-like ability that emulates a spell or a level 3-5 spell is used, gain 2 charges. Whenever a level 6+ spell is used, gain 3 charges. If the spell used fails due to spell failure, gain 1 more charge on top of that. You may have no more than class level charges at once, and cannot gather more than twice your class level charges per day.

Charges can be used thusly:

Whenever you make a damage roll against an opponent after attacking him in melee, you may give up any number of charges to deal d6 additional force damage per charge to the target. The force damage dealt this way is capped at the normal damage of your melee attack.
You may expend 5 charges to fully heal yourself.
You may expend 2 charges to increase the DC of any Concentration check made within double interference range of you by 10. Stacks.
You may expend 1 charge to have darkvision 120 feet for 5 minutes
You may expend 2 charges to have peak spell failure in your entire interference for 1 round.
Overwhelm: expend a charge, then select a target without any CL within your interference as a standard action. He must make a will save against a DC of 10+class level/2+wis mod+5 if he is in a square adjacent to you. If he fails the save, he is stunned for 1 round. You may expend additional charges. For every 3 charges, increase the stun by 1 round and the DC by 2.
You may expend 4 charges to regain 1 dispel for the day.

Except overwhelm, which is a standard action, and force damage, which is a nonaction, all the above are free actions.

Shock Dispel (Su): From level 6, when you succeed a targeted dispel, you may deal sonic or electricity (your choice) damage to the target equal to d4*spell level, or d6*spell level for greater dispel, or d6*spell level untyped damage for disjunction.

Wild Flux (Su): From level 8, all creatures with a CL of 1 or more within the Interference of a spellbreaker receive 1d6 untyped damage per square of movement. Also, if they teleport outside, inside, or within the interference, they receive 3d6 untyped damage.

Detection (Ex): A level 9 or higher spellbreaker can pinpoint a caster when he casts a spell with extreme accuracy.

At level 9, whenever a spell of level 4th or higher is cast within 1 mile, you can pinpoint the direction towards the caster.
At level 12, whenever a spell of level 3rd or higher is cast within 2 miles, you can pinpoint the direction towards the caster.
At level 15, whenever a spell of level 2nd or higher is cast within 3 miles, you can pinpoint the direction towards the caster.
At level 18, whenever a spell of level 1st or higher is cast within 4 miles, you can pinpoint the direction towards the caster.

Also, from level 12 you know if the spell is arcane or divine, from level 15, you know the exact level of the spell that was cast, and from level 18, you know the school.

Ward Away (Su): From level 10, whenever creatures teleport inside your interference, they must all make a will save against a DC of 10+class level/2+wis mod. If they fail, they get instantly sent back from whence they came. If they succeed, they must choose to either remain in place, and be stunned for 1 round, or be sent to the edge of your interference. In either of the three situations, the targets still receive 3d6 untyped damage from Wild Flux.

Greater Dispel (Sp): From level 10, you may expend 2 uses of Dispel to use Greater Dispel instead.

Clash Dispel (Su): From level 11, when you succeed a counterspell using a dispel, the target loses another spell slot of the same level. If you succeeded using Greater Dispel Magic, he also loses 2 slots 1 level lower.

Hunt Resumed: From 12th level, whenever you drop an opponent with unmodified CL of 10 or higher, you regain 1 dispel attempt for the day. You cannot go over the cap.

Tiring Flux (Su): The mental taxation needed to cope with all the subtle changes in spacetime within a magical aura is something most mundanes are unfamiliar with - and the interference of a spellbreaker is, in nature, pure arcana. From level 13, all creatures within a spellbreaker's interference that lack a CL are fatigued while inside, unless they have at least 8 more HD than him.

True Fatum (Ex): A level 14 or higher spellbreaker is completely immune to the effects of all divination spells. He cannot be scryed, predicted, or seen in the future.

Disjunction (Ex): A level 16 or higher spellbreaker can expend 4 dispel magic uses to cast disjunction.

Break to Real (Ex): All illusions entering your interference instantly disappear starting from level 17.

Titan Mind (Ex): A level 19 or higher spellbreaker is immune to all mind-affecting effects that are specifically caused by spells. Also, everyone within his interference gains a +2 bonus against such effects.

Stagnant Zone (Su): Nobody can regain spell slots within 20 miles of a level 20 spellbreaker. He may suppress or reactivate this feature by meditating for 10 minutes.

gkathellar
2012-05-15, 03:45 PM
Since this is a mage-killer, I have to ask: how are you dealing with Celerity?

Phosphate
2012-05-15, 04:03 PM
Well, hopefully just like with any other spell - if it fails from spell failure, more power to me. If not...well he ain't using his extra action on me, too high a chance to fail.

bobthe6th
2012-05-15, 04:11 PM
What can it do against non spell casters?

Steward
2012-05-15, 10:36 PM
Well, it does have full BAB and good weapon proficiencies, right? That still counts for something in a straight melee vs. melee battle!

Do its powers work against the spell-like and supernatural abilities of monsters, or is it strictly an anti-caster class?

Just to Browse
2012-05-16, 02:00 AM
Another mage is probably still a better class overall than this one, both for mage-slaying purposes, and for all-around usefulness.

1) This mage-slayer has no other tricks. He doesn't have enough skill points to get into utility like the rogue, and comes up very short to closet monsters like giant scorpions and the like as the class progresses. It doesn't even look like he can shut down supernatural abilities until 16th level, and I don't think that was even on purpose.

2) In addition, he doesn't get interesting things to do. His main schtick is dispel magic and then walk in with his passive buffs and stab the mage. And that will happen every combat--no dancing, no fire, no explosions, no fus-ro-dah.

3) Some of his mage abilities don't actually stop mages. The mages that are actually potent use their spells as buffs, and will mostly ignore caster level penalties. The spell resistance (which is strangely typed, but I assume it's 1/5 * class level) doesn't actually do anything. He also doesn't come with anything to stop the classic mage rocket-launcher-tag. No initiative bonuses, no ability to ignore time stop, no SoD immunities until level 14, and no taunt even. PCs could just be locked up or boxed up while an enemy mage blasted away at their friends. You could just pit another mage with a better initiative score against the first one, and the fight would be over faster and more efficiently.

4) It's overall just a bad concept. Making a class that only hurts mages is like making a household oven that only cooks souffles. Your 2-8 man party needs better flexibility than that.

Phosphate
2012-05-16, 06:29 AM
What can it do against non spell casters?

Hit them with a sword real good.

Do its powers work against the spell-like and supernatural abilities of monsters, or is it strictly an anti-caster class?

Not all of them, but SL can be dispelled obv.

Another mage is probably still a better class overall than this one, both for mage-slaying purposes, and for all-around usefulness.

Haters gonna hate. Not tier 1 here.

1) This mage-slayer has no other tricks. He doesn't have enough skill points to get into utility like the rogue, and comes up very short to closet monsters like giant scorpions and the like as the class progresses. It doesn't even look like he can shut down supernatural abilities until 16th level, and I don't think that was even on purpose.

Suure, because supernatural abilities are THE issue.

2) In addition, he doesn't get interesting things to do. His main schtick is dispel magic and then walk in with his passive buffs and stab the mage. And that will happen every combat--no dancing, no fire, no explosions, no fus-ro-dah.

3) Some of his mage abilities don't actually stop mages. The mages that are actually potent use their spells as buffs, and will mostly ignore caster level penalties. The spell resistance (which is strangely typed, but I assume it's 1/5 * class level) doesn't actually do anything. He also doesn't come with anything to stop the classic mage rocket-launcher-tag. No initiative bonuses, no ability to ignore time stop, no SoD immunities until level 14, and no taunt even. PCs could just be locked up or boxed up while an enemy mage blasted away at their friends. You could just pit another mage with a better initiative score against the first one, and the fight would be over faster and more efficiently.

Buffs can be...uhm...dispelled. Time stop is level 9 so you won't see it used that often. Spell resistance is, AS I WROTE, 1,5*class level, which means 1 at level 1, 15 at level 10, 30 at level 20. As for rocket launcher...well, you know, he adds armor to touch attacks, so there's that, and he has really good saves to mitigate. If allies want protection too...they can stay inside the interference (for that matter, blasts count on CL for damage, which is reduced)

4) It's overall just a bad concept. Making a class that only hurts mages is like making a household oven that only cooks souffles. Your 2-8 man party needs better flexibility than that.

2-8 man party...so a barbarian who can't do anything to incorporeal foes, swarms, and stuff with regeneration, or a rogue whose damage is meaningless against things immune to crit, or a beguiler pitted against swarms of undead have a place, but THIS guy....who is anti-caster...where casters are pervasive and really an issue...doesn't? I fail to see your point.

bobthe6th
2012-05-16, 07:11 AM
but then in the words of Roy green hilt "you are just a fighter without the bonus feats"

feels like it could use something for non mage combat...

Ninja_Grand
2012-05-16, 09:36 AM
Pherhaps a "fire with fire" way of thinking. Like if a mage uses X level spell he can turn that into force dam for his wepon or a ray?

Have it bost with levels...:smallconfused: I got zip.

jojolagger
2012-05-16, 01:04 PM
What happens when two spellbreakers have overlapping interference fields?
Because I had a hilarious mental image of a gestalt party where everyone was a spellbreaker on one side, and no casters can really do anything to them.

Also, I'd advise you have the interference also apply to spells cast into it's field, so magic missile doesn't kill you really dead.

Also, SR is to weak until epic levels, where non-casters are screwed anyway. There is a reason Sr is almost always listed as X+Level. I could understand making it something like 10 + 1.5*Level, so level 1 gets SR 11, Level 4 gets SR 16, and level 20 gets SR 40. As they go up in level the roll needed for a caster of equal level to break SR goes up, but considering all the ways for casters to boost CL, SR 30 at level 20 is meaningless.

Phosphate
2012-05-16, 02:21 PM
but then in the words of Roy green hilt "you are just a fighter without the bonus feats"

feels like it could use something for non mage combat...

He HAS bonus feats. But yeah, I should give him a bit more oomph. Suggested levels?

Also, I ought not make it REALLY good at fighting non-mages. I mean, if he's better than mages AND non-mages, then I'd be missing something, no? XD

Pherhaps a "fire with fire" way of thinking. Like if a mage uses X level spell he can turn that into force dam for his wepon or a ray?

Why not? XD. Will add soon.

What happens when two spellbreakers have overlapping interference fields?
Because I had a hilarious mental image of a gestalt party where everyone was a spellbreaker on one side, and no casters can really do anything to them.

I will mention in the ability that if two interference fields affect the same square, the stronger interference is used to determine spell failure, and they don't stack. Nice catch, thanks ;).

Also, I'd advise you have the interference also apply to spells cast into it's field, so magic missile doesn't kill you really dead.

I thought it already did that XD. But I will clarify, clarity is good.

Also, SR is to weak until epic levels, where non-casters are screwed anyway. There is a reason Sr is almost always listed as X+Level. I could understand making it something like 10 + 1.5*Level, so level 1 gets SR 11, Level 4 gets SR 16, and level 20 gets SR 40. As they go up in level the roll needed for a caster of equal level to break SR goes up, but considering all the ways for casters to boost CL, SR 30 at level 20 is meaningless.

CL boosting mitigated by the penalty to CL imposed by the double interference, but probably not enough :). Ok, it can get stronger.

zegram 33
2012-05-16, 02:39 PM
also, TC: as far as i can see it, the issue isnt so much that it has the same limitations as a barbarian, but that it actively limits your allies.
if your in any kind of grouping, then any paladins, clerics, rangers, wizards sorcerors, ANYTHING with any kind of casting will rapidly get very pissed at you. a class that by design is almost more of a hindrance to its allies that its enemies has severe issues.
not to put it down, i love the idea of interference and like the class as an idea.

what about..... interference either works as a sphere, OR a longer range cone, or an even longer range line, with the effect persisting for class levels/2 rounds after they leave the field? maybe at high levels (16-17 ish?) convert it into an antimagic field effect.

imo the antimagic field effect is necessary, since a cleric casting that is currently more effective at defending against magic than this chap, with all sorts of other abilities built in.

the banishing strike...i dont like, i'm not gonna lie to you. 1/3 the targets hit points in one hit is a lot of damage. essentially, if the mage chooses to summon a swarm of weak enemies you can bust them all up, but if he summons one big beastie (often the optimal use of summon X spells) your kinda snaffled.

similarly-flight. i know they take damage per movement, but there isnt a whole lot stopping people from flying straight up out of your field and incinerating you from there, and as it stands there isnt a whole lot you can do besides counterspell. this will be diminished if you gain the ability to shape your interference aura and antimagic spells as i suggested. (also, i just love the idea of firing an antimagic beam) but if they get out of your dispel range (medium is pretty decent but not amazingly so) your snaffled against long range spells.

also: a word to the wise about dispel: it has a dc of 11+ the spells caster level.
thats what, 55:45 against an equal level enemy.
most enemies with dangerous spellcasting powers will be several levels above you to provide the whole party with a challenge so...your more likely than not to fail to dispel them.

the main issue with this class is the fact that it directly weakens your allies
though, thats a massive no-no in any game.

so thats my attempt at a constructive peach. i think they're mostly valid points and I hope it helped you

overall though, theres nothing that i see and think "that cant be saved" its a very good class, just needs a bit of touching up

EDIT: just realised the massive legth of that post, sorry about that

Just to Browse
2012-05-16, 02:50 PM
Haters gonna hate. Not tier 1 here.Not even Tier 3 here. Beguilers and Dread Necros are still better anti-mages.

Suure, because supernatural abilities are THE issue.They are a big deal. Monsters come loaded with supernatural abilities almost as often as spells. But are you telling me that not only is this class not supposed to defeat anything but magic, it's only supposed to defeat the small subset of magic that only includes spells?

Buffs can be...uhm...dispelled.If you... uhm... spend a standard action on it. Which happens to remove all your attacks for an entire turn, which means the mage is throwing an SoD on you and you got nothing in to stop him, or the buffzilla is smacking you around because you just got rid of his angel form, and he still has full BAB, extra strength, and happens to be one size larger than you.

And did I mention it's difficult to dispel invisibility?

Time stop is level 9 so you won't see it used that often.Does this mean you're admitting it's OK for your class to not actually do it's job between levels 17-20 because people "won't see it used that often"?

Spell resistance is, AS I WROTE, 1,5*class level, which means 1 at level 1, 15 at level 10, 30 at level 20.I've never seen that notation, before, so my bad. I'm still not sure how that's shorthand for such a large jump. You should really just put it at 10 + Level.

As for rocket launcher...well, you know, he adds armor to touch attacks, so there's that, and he has really good saves to mitigate. If allies want protection too...they can stay inside the interference (for that matter, blasts count on CL for damage, which is reduced)Armor class doesn't matter much past low levels; mages will be hitting saves. The fact that he has good saves everywhere is nice, but he'll still be going second in fights, and he still has MAD problems because he needs to boost all of his saves, and casters still only need to boost one or two casting stats.

2-8 man party...so a barbarian who can't do anything to incorporeal foes, swarms, and stuff with regeneration, or a rogue whose damage is meaningless against things immune to crit, or a beguiler pitted against swarms of undead have a place, but THIS guy....who is anti-caster...where casters are pervasive and really an issue...doesn't? I fail to see your point.Ummm... a barbarian can hit just about anything. Failing to hit things with special weaknesses (10-20%) is very easily dealt with. The rogue has the same thing going for it (10-20%). Both can be overcome with a bit of investment in magic items.

Now this anti-mage has no abilities for fighting non-casters. It's not like the rogue or barbarian, where a magic item will let them come back to full potential, it's literally that every single class feature is caster-oriented. A balor will barely care. A triceratops won't care at all. Hell, the thematically-magical medusa, the gorgon, and the basilisk simply don't even care.

zegram 33
2012-05-16, 03:01 PM
actually, in fairness to TC, by the time time stop is used your interference covers an 80ft radius sphere around you for 45% failure chance.
thats not amazing odds, and as it stands now not worth 17 class levels, but you probably shouldnt discount a roughly 50/50 chance to lose a 9th level slot and your turn with it.
same thing for buff dispelling- your right that dispel on its own doesnt work very well, but with the spell failure chance its a bit more dangerous.
the problem is you get very few dispels. its almost useless for anything other than its specialised niche, so id say at least once per class level per day, maybe even at will (as a seperate upgrade perhaps)

Just to Browse
2012-05-16, 03:15 PM
I'll concede that the anti-mage does it's job quite well in close quarters with casters, but that brings up the separate problems that it has no good way to get into close quarters and has way to stop the rest of the enemies from gangbeating it.

Phosphate
2012-05-16, 03:47 PM
the problem is you get very few dispels

Not really, it is very easy for it to regain dispels.

Anyway, added Harness and Tiring Flux as class features to help against non-casters.

I'd respond to the other points, but gotta go to sleep now, so tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

distant quasar
2012-05-20, 03:29 PM
I like the concept and for the most part it's good at it's job, though I probably wouldn't ever use it except for in a gestalt game.

One question: you gave bonuses to Clash Dispel for Greater Dispel Magic, why not another set for Disjunction? :smallconfused:

Phosphate
2012-05-20, 05:12 PM
God...I procrastinated here again XD

But to answer your question, the reason is plain: dispel magic and greater dispel magic can be used either as targeted dispels, counterspells or bursts. Disjunction, on the other hand, is always a burst. Clash Dispel works only with counterspelling.

Amechra
2012-05-20, 05:52 PM
Funny thing: there are ways to ignore Interference Field, and most of the problem casters will be just fine with that CL Penalty, since their CLs will be very high.

In addition, that SR is... wonky, and invites confusion, especially since most people don't use the British system for decimals... I would reword it as:

"A Spellbreaker has SR equal to 10 plus three-halves of their class level."

Harness does nothing to any constant supernatural ability.

Break to Real could probably be better stated as that they automatically dispel any illusion that enters their Interference radius. It is a lot clearer, and it helps with wording.

This class is funny. Why? By 20th level, they have a defensive radius of 80'. A Caster' Close-Range spells at the same level will have a range of 75'. You can make Touch spells as Medium Range (I.E., 300' range) at that level, or just Extend a Close Range spell.

Or you could run in and have an Antimagic Field go off; you literally can't do anything but use Disjunction (which should be a SLA, by the way, unless you want your dispelling capabilities to suddenly jump like that) at 17th level or use a couple other minor class features, while any spellcaster doing that would most likely be able to cast in an Antimagic Field.

Oh, and I would suggest that these guys get Reaving Dispel from Complete Arcane rather than Disjunction. Disjunction just annoys everyone at the table, since the DM has to save for each magic item that the creature is carrying, and just has to roll a ton of dice, and it is a PAIN. I speak from experience; plus, dispelling a guy's buffs to take them for yourself is just so much sexyness...

JoshuaZ
2012-05-20, 08:23 PM
Hmm, still not going to be great against a really powerful caster.

Suggested changes:

Flux Armor- no reason for this to not apply to supernatural abilities also. Won't matter much against wizards but will help a little it against non-standard casters (especially binders and shadowcasters). More to the point it gives them a class feature that is a little usable against non-casters.

True Fatum - he divination ability should allow epic divinations to pierce it.

Allow them to as an immediate action use their dispel magic or greater dispel magic ability. This would help a lot in terms of countering spells before they become a problem.

Break to Real- should be able to suppress or activate as a standard action.

Stagnant Zone is interesting but sort of strange. It is flavorful but in practice it isn't going to do much other than annoy the nearby spellcasters. It might make more sense to allow a will save with a high DC to avoid this.

Tranquil Retreat - I'm not sure what the intended fluff is, especially since that is (ex) rather than (Su).

Also, it may make sense for their melee attacks to be able to burn out spell slots or prepared spells from casters they hit. Maybe higher level ones can restore uses of Dispel Magic?

They should probably get Knowledge(Religion) and Knowledge(the Planes) as class skills.

They should probably get Slippery Mind and Evasion at some point.

Also consider giving them a spell-like ability that duplicates Detect Magic. This would fit flavor and would give them a little utility outside fighting mages.

I agree with most of Amechra's advice, except that I think having an option of either Disjunction or Reaving Dispel makes more sense, and maybe make Disjunction take one more use than Reaving does.