PDA

View Full Version : Schrödinger's Barbarian

VGLordR2
2012-05-15, 02:16 PM
Hello, everyone. In order to celebrate my 100th post on these boards, I have decided to share a hilarious combo that I found. The general concept is a Warforged Barbarian that can survive any damaging spell from an epic Wizard, but will die from falling off of a stepladder. Without any ado, here it is.

The basis of this build is the Berserker Strength alternate class feature for the Barbarian (link here) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=3). The class feature replaces use/day rage with a rage that is dependent on your hit points. Whenever your hit points are below five times your Barbarian level, you rage. When they are equal to or above the limit, your rage automatically ends. This can be used any number of times per day. I would like to draw special attention to a line near the bottom:

Any effect that would normally apply only during your rage applies whenever your berserker strength is active.

Now that we know this, we will use a common trick. The idea is to reduce your permanent hit points to below the Berserker Strength limit, causing permanent rage. Start out with a Constitution of 11. Choose Warforged as your race, making your Constitution 13. At first level, this makes your total hit points 13, which is a bit higher than five. So, we will apply the Frail flaw and the Quick trait. Both of these reduce your maximum HP by one point per level. This puts the total at 11. Now, we will use Self-Mutilation from BoVD to reduce your hit point total by 10, bringing it to 1. Now, we've reached the zone of perpetual rage, but my trick is slightly different. My variation requires that you are always within your class level of the Berserker Strength limit. So, we will take the Toughness feat to put your hit points at 4, which is the exact number needed.

Now that we have 4 HP, we take the Reckless Rage feat (there is a debate on whether or not you qualify for this feat, but I'll discuss that later). The Reckless Rage feat, among other things, gives you a +2 bonus to Constitution while you rage. This means that, when you rage, you gain one hit point per level from this Constitution bonus. This puts you above the threshold for automatic rage. This causes you to leave your rage, and also causes the Constitution bonus to disappear. This will put your HP at four again, which makes you rage again. This will cause you to shift between raging and not raging infinitely. You are constantly in a state of rage and not rage (which is what the basis of this build is based on).

By now, you're probably thinking that there is no possible use for raging infinite times per turn. Well, I present to you the Mad Foam Rager (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/mad-foam-rager--1814/) feat. Once per rage, you can delay the effect of any spell, attack, or ability used against you. But you can rage an infinite number of times per day. This means that you can continually delay anything used against you forever. Just delay the attack when it would affect you next turn, then delay it again, and again, and again, forever.

This combo is what can allow you to survive the most brutal of attacks, but die from the most mundane things (or, in other words, anything that is not a spell, attack or ability), all at level one.

Additional Notes:

Take the intimidating Rage feat to scare everyone you can find (even though you only get one attempt per day per person).

As I said before, there is some debate over whether or not Berserker Strength counts as the prerequisite for Reckless Rage and Mad Foam Rager. If you believe that it doesn't, this build is still possible at level two if you take Druidic Avenger at level one, and multiclass into the Barbarian at level two.

As a final note, it is very possible that I have missed something somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised. If I have, please let me know. I'm proud of this build, but I have made mistakes before. Let me know what you think. :smallsmile:

Roguenewb
2012-05-15, 02:27 PM
I like it. I feel like this was always a problem for that class feature. With the whole gaining CON when low on HP thing. Did they ever errata it to fix you up forever?

Yukitsu
2012-05-15, 02:28 PM
That'd only be 1 hit infinitely delayed. It takes an immediate action per hit every round to delay the effects of anything with mad foam rager, including previously delayed hits. Probably not all that useful in the end. Interesting thought experiment on how to be theoretically immune to any singular hit.

VGLordR2
2012-05-15, 02:34 PM
That'd only be 1 hit infinitely delayed. It takes an immediate action per hit every round to delay the effects of anything with mad foam rager, including previously delayed hits. Probably not all that useful in the end. Interesting thought experiment on how to be theoretically immune to any singular hit.

That's what I get for assuming that I know what an immediate action is. Oh well, I tried. Do you have any other uses for infinitely raging?

Flickerdart
2012-05-15, 02:37 PM
Intimidating Rage would work well here - forcing enemies to make infinity saves will make them quake in fear of your possibly amazing muscles for sure!

VGLordR2
2012-05-15, 02:40 PM
Intimidating Rage would work well here - forcing enemies to make infinity saves will make them quake in fear of your possibly amazing muscles for sure!

What is the exact definition of an encounter? Because Intimidating Rage only works once per encounter.

Kazyan
2012-05-15, 02:44 PM
A variation of this was hashed out on these boards, using the Bear Warrior PrC instead of Reckess Rage, and depending on Intimidating Rage. It also involved a way to chain the intimidation to Wisdom damage, I think, mentally instagibbing everything.

It was dubbed the "Infinitely Scary Bear Robot".

Flickerdart
2012-05-15, 02:48 PM
Oh, right, dang. That's a shame. It also lasts only for the duration of the rage, so the opposite of helpful.

Blood of Kord's bonus damage would apply to every hit you make (+1/2 level damage). Raging Luck would give you constantly refreshing action points.

The Gilded Duke
2012-05-15, 02:50 PM
Raging luck gives you 1 temporary action point during your rage or frenzy. If you don't use it by the time the rage ends it goes away. So it looks like you would have 1 free action point available at all times but never more then that. If you can get a way to use magic items while raging then it becomes useful as there are ways of using action points instead of charges. Probably some other abuses of action points that I'm not aware of. Might check the dragonmarked book?

VGLordR2
2012-05-15, 02:51 PM
A variation of this was hashed out on these boards, using the Bear Warrior PrC instead of Reckess Rage, and depending on Intimidating Rage. It also involved a way to chain the intimidation to Wisdom damage, I think, mentally instagibbing everything.

It was dubbed the "Infinitely Scary Bear Robot".

I couldn't find a thread about that in my quick Google search. I did find Schrodinger's Bear Warrior (http://www.giantitp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235933), which is very, very similar to this thread. It even referenced Schrödinger. I feel a lot less special now.

Yukitsu
2012-05-15, 02:52 PM
That's what I get for assuming that I know what an immediate action is. Oh well, I tried. Do you have any other uses for infinitely raging?

None off the top of my head. The only real benefit of this that I can see, is that you can't run out of rage uses, but considering the health you'd be at, I wouldn't rely on that.

IIRC, there is a goliath alternate class feature that gains a size category while raging. I think this qualifies you permanently for hulking hurler, which in turn, lets you open up a long distance fight with BS damage without having to worry about rage running out when you are past that skirmishy part of the exchange. Question as to determining what happens with that 500 pound boulder you're carrying for the split second you fall out of a rage.

Post errata, I think bear warrior would let you just always be a bear, but you may as well be a druid if you want to do that.

I think you could probably use curses to expand your rage ability without being as vulnerable at later levels. Having a -con curse that is only active when you're above 10% health would lower your max HP, but give you a chunk of it back when you're dangerously low.

fergo
2012-05-15, 02:55 PM
Eh, who cares if it doesn't work, still made me laugh :smallwink:.

VGLordR2
2012-05-15, 02:55 PM
Raging luck gives you 1 temporary action point during your rage or frenzy. If you don't use it by the time the rage ends it goes away. So it looks like you would have 1 free action point available at all times but never more then that. If you can get a way to use magic items while raging then it becomes useful as there are ways of using action points instead of charges. Probably some other abuses of action points that I'm not aware of. Might check the dragonmarked book?

That's a great idea. It's effectively infinite Action Points, since you can only use one per round anyway.

Darrin
2012-05-15, 03:01 PM

Take a level of Crusader, and you could shunt damage into Steely Resolve for a round, where you've got a chance to heal it before it applies to your HP total. Only works for raw damage, though... I presume other spell effects would still have to be infinitely delayed.